PDA

View Full Version : Building AE86 Drift Car

Nigel
5th October 2006, 10:06 AM
Hi guys this is my first post and i must say that this forum is really informative.

I am going to build an AE86 drift car very soon (i pick up the car this weekend)
Heres what i want to do
*SR 20 conversion with plenum and t518z turbo (already have motor, gbox, os twin plate, oil cooler ect)
*Full S13 rear cradle (already have 1 with 2 way diff) this will involve cutting out the rear floor and adding mostly RHS rear chassis.
*S13 coilovers front and back (rears will have custom mounts)
*Stripped interior
*Full weld in cage and seem welded chassis
*All the other bits that will go along with it
-front mount cooler
-alloy radiator
-cobra evolution race seat
-fuel cell and surge tank
-New loom (already done)
-microtech comp (already have)
-Origen body kit and well offsetted 14x9 wheels
-Painted Matt army green

Theres probably heaps of stuff ive forgotten about but you get the idea.
Is there any real problem any one sees with doing all this? I was a little worried about the weight of the rear cradle being more than say a hilux diff but i dont think theres much in it.

Thanks guys

Nigel

My old car (i still have everything minus chassis)

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/116954.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/116955.jpg

RobertoX
5th October 2006, 10:48 AM
hi, my next car will be that same colour, perhaps we can rub paint in super skidz...

buy another s13 if you have all that gear, it will work out cheaper

look at the best (well most winningest (lol) 86 in the country) 4agte 160kw, w5X, t18, s13 front susp, thats pretty much it........

Hen is a total nutcase
5th October 2006, 10:55 AM
Nigel, that'll be a whole lot of work. However all doable.

I think the trickiest part will be the rear suspension. However improvedae86 on here has just done S13 rear into his sprinter so he may be able to give some advice there.

Hen

Nigel
5th October 2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks guys, i dont mind doing all the cutting and welding stuff, thats what i love to do and its easy for me. I really dont want another s13, time for a change and this is it.

I was never happy with how my 180s rear end was, at the hight i wanted it at the geometry was never right. By adapting a cradle out of an s13 i can mount it high in the chassis so the arms are all straight at super low ride hight. It will all be mounted on an rhs rear clip kind of like what drag racers would call a 3/4 chassis.

By using my 4.3 2way diff and axles that will never break is a huge bonus. The car will be light, strong and low exactly what i want.

Ride hight will be similar to this

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/116958.jpg

heres my ute that i just finished building

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/116959.jpg

Andrew
5th October 2006, 11:20 AM
Fark man, you're a machine. Loved the 180 but that Hilux is something else!

Sounds like quite an interesting Sprinter you're going to have. Good luck to you.

Nigel
5th October 2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks mate, it took about 10 months to build (basically built the chassis by hand) all just to make it bounce. Its the tow vehicle/everyday car.

DRFT - 86
5th October 2006, 11:57 AM
Fuck yeh, saw your 180 in a mag not long ago and fell in love.. its hottness, this hachi you plan to build sounds awesome man.. all the BesT with It.....

Looks like you gots madd skillz... ute looks crazy as well.

Bustin_86
5th October 2006, 12:24 PM
good luck man!

breno
5th October 2006, 01:02 PM
Awsome man, by the build quality of your other cars its gonna be amazing to see what you do with a sprinter.

DRFTAE86
5th October 2006, 01:29 PM
Sweet, cant wait to see what you produce....
Going off your 180 it shouldn't be any thing short of incrediable.

Look forward to your production.

Nigel
5th October 2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys for the positive comments, im just going to dive in head first on this project, i have written a list of absolutley everything i need and it shouldnt take too much time at all. Cost will be anywhere around the 15k mark when finished.

Dxaqta
5th October 2006, 02:21 PM
u better be a man of you word and do it http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

Gilly
5th October 2006, 02:28 PM
s13 rear end will be by far the hardest part, i personally wouldn't bother. but a man with your fabrication experience would have a better chance of doing it right. especilally using a 3/4 chassis as you suggested.

i assume the s13 met an untimely end??

good luck.

Nigel
5th October 2006, 02:39 PM
Yea the s13 sort of started pulling itself apart, it lasted 3 years drifting but the seems and spotwelds can only take so much. It was falling apart, i was going to seem weld it and weld a cage in but it was a little crooked so i got rid of it. Always had a soft spot for the 86. Its such a versatile car that i could do hillclimbs/ motorkahnas/ drift days/ sprints with.
The rear end wont be a problem at all. Im a fitter and turner by trade and work at ford as a protype car builder so its no stress just a bit of a challenge. Measure twice cut once

Course_Out
5th October 2006, 02:55 PM
Man that will be awesome! Can't wait to see it!

balistic
5th October 2006, 03:02 PM
hmmmm to have the money and resources! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

..awesome - good luck with it http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

ArJay
5th October 2006, 04:59 PM
Im a fitter and turner by trade and work at ford as a protype car builder so its no stress just a bit of a challenge.[/b]

Rad....livin' the dream...
Do you ever get sick of building cars?

RobertoX
5th October 2006, 05:18 PM
if you think the 180 was falling apart wait till you get a sprinter!!111

Monk
5th October 2006, 05:51 PM
if you think the 180 was falling apart wait till you get a sprinter!!111[/b]

So true!

i hope you got shares in a rust fixing / anti rust company! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Nigel
5th October 2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks again for the kind words, i just had a look at the car in question and its extremely neat. A bit of a pity to tear it apart http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/ohmy.gif if i can get it for the right price then it will do.
Yea im a bit worried about rust but the majority of it in this car is in the bootlid which would be replaced with an FRP item anyway.
Seem welding and comprehensive cage should stop it tearing itself apart i hope.
Still planning but i just want to start cutting http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

stouty
5th October 2006, 07:18 PM
That looks real clean. Cant wait to see what u do with it.

RobertoX
5th October 2006, 07:34 PM
Oooohh... looks virginal http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Ever thought of building your own IRS out of steel tube etc and using some stock items like diffs and hubs/uprights? Then you could have everything exactly where you want it and possibly integrate it into your cage.
It wouldn't be majorly hard using square section mild steel...

Nigel
5th October 2006, 07:46 PM
Haha, yea very virginal. Mmm i have thought about it but its just to much work. I think i will have enough to do already. Would be nice. I dont want the project to take too long as i want to be on the track early next year.
Remember this is all dreaming so far. I want it all planned out before it happens, judging by the feedback ive been getting of you guys it will most probably become reality.
I can see this car being extremely fun http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

rthy
5th October 2006, 08:04 PM
haha ur 180 reminds me of johnny5

http://www.jeffbots.com/shortcircuit6.jpghttp://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/116955.jpg

Brenton 86
5th October 2006, 08:12 PM
Hey mate, where u located?

redsprinter
5th October 2006, 09:00 PM
i hope your in sydney. would love to come check out the hachii.

oh yeah i saw your car(180sx) i think in drift battle mag or hpi. looked awesome.

GL with the build.

DRFTAE86
6th October 2006, 12:09 AM
haha ur 180 reminds me of johnny5[/b]

Hahaha, now that you point it out http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

I think Nigel is from Vic, as i've seen his car at calder and winton..... and the 86 he's buying looks to have VIC number plates.

pumpkinking
6th October 2006, 12:58 AM
you have PM!

stouty
6th October 2006, 03:21 PM
He lives in Geelong in Vic i think

rthy
6th October 2006, 06:00 PM
why bother with the IRS rear end when its a drift car?

Gilly
7th October 2006, 09:13 AM
wants to do hill climbs,sprints, motorkhana's etc as well.

darkon
7th October 2006, 02:01 PM
just read about ur 180 in drift battle lol this hachis gunna be SiiC good luck http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

DRiiFT_King
7th October 2006, 08:52 PM
this will be crazy, you won one of the first FLM events right, at calder

Nigel
9th October 2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the comments, DRiiFT_King yes i won the very first HPI drift nationals at calder.
Im about ready to start this project, still negotiating a good price on the car to start with. First make the SR fit, then the IRS then its tear apart and send the shell of to get acid dipped, seem welded and cage welded in.

Sam Q, well im starting to think that aswell, theres a few reasons why i am going to do it

-i have a rear end at home with adjustable arms and 2way diff with 4.3 gears
-its relatively easy to fit
-i have s13 coilovers already

darkon
12th October 2006, 06:31 PM
is the cage gunna be chromoly? i dont like roll cages in hachis you lose alot of the weight advantage. iv found that just spot welded seems and front n rear strut braces work more then sufficiently

Nigel
13th October 2006, 09:48 AM
Yes the cage will be chromoly and tied to the A and B pillers.
I think the trade off between weight and stifness/safety will be worth it.
Oh and ive ditched the IRS idea and am going with an equal length rosejointed 4link, because the car will mainly be for drifting.
I will start up a build up thread as soon as the cars registered and stripped. Cant wait

Dxaqta
13th October 2006, 09:50 AM
if ur going equal length piss the panhard rod of and go watts linkage

RobertoX
13th October 2006, 11:25 AM
Take a look at the rear end install in Beau's car, it is quite neat (sorry cant find any pics)

LAZY
13th October 2006, 11:56 AM
Take a look at the rear end install in Beau's car, it is quite neat (sorry cant find any pics)[/b]

What brand lsd is he using for that?

dustyae86
13th October 2006, 12:07 PM
hey Nigel supposedly you work with my brother Travis Eylward good to see your gettin a hachi but your 180 was hotness wish i was a fitter and turner hehe custom bits:>

Dxaqta
13th October 2006, 12:42 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=273654)

Take a look at the rear end install in Beau's car, it is quite neat (sorry cant find any pics)[/b]

[/b]

What does an LSD have to do with Equal Length Trailing arms????

he sproably useing a detriot locker or torsional style LSD as he uses a hilux diff

RobertoX
13th October 2006, 01:18 PM
meh, torsen is not that great for drift. Locker or 2 way clutchpack is the go.

was refering to the boxed section for the upper trailing arms built into the rear seat well.

Nigel
13th October 2006, 01:27 PM
[/quote]
Take a look at the rear end install in Beau's car, it is quite neat (sorry cant find any pics)
[/quote]

Yea as soon as i looked at that setup i was cirtain thats how mines going to be. So neat

sr20ae86
20th October 2006, 11:57 AM
hey nigel sweet 180 n ute, mate
very nice, clean work mate.
i got similar parts and ideas to u
Already have:
welded cage in an 86,
sr20det that came out of sprinter from japan from anthony kellam,
s13 front suspension
Massive 4inch flares for all corners- got from john raceflo SA
-gettin origin bodykit from my old workplace DMD boykits n motorsports
-maybe full brake upgrade
-? still deciding diff setup (locker of sum sort)
just wanted to chat about some other bits n pieces
can u give me a buzz on 0403 69 55 55

Delazy
20th October 2006, 02:50 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=273668)

[/b]

he sproably useing a detriot locker or torsional style LSD as he uses a hilux diff
[/b]

when i spoke to beau at the tassie round of DA he actually said he was using a either hiace or tarago diff (cant remeber exactly atm) with a is200 LSD

Nigel
20th October 2006, 10:30 PM
hey Nigel supposedly you work with my brother Travis Eylward good to see your gettin a hachi but your 180 was hotness wish i was a fitter and turner hehe custom bits:>[/b]

Haha small world, yea i know Travis, great guy.

hey nigel sweet 180 n ute, mate
very nice, clean work mate.
i got similar parts and ideas to u
Already have:
welded cage in an 86,
sr20det that came out of sprinter from japan from anthony kellam,
s13 front suspension
Massive 4inch flares for all corners- got from john raceflo SA
-gettin origin bodykit from my old workplace DMD boykits n motorsports
-maybe full brake upgrade
-? still deciding diff setup (locker of sum sort)
just wanted to chat about some other bits n pieces
can u give me a buzz on 0403 69 55 55[/b]

Thanks mate, sounds great.
Will hopefully give you a call next week, throw me a pm if you would like.

I will start a buildup thread soon, car has to be finished before driftmasters at calder in march so its all going to happen soon

Nigel
20th October 2006, 10:34 PM
Heres a pik of my turbo setup.
Trust TD06L2 turbo kit set to make an easy 400hp

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/118431.jpg

darkon
22nd October 2006, 04:21 PM
sorry to sound so cynical but it sounds like ur building an s13 silvia except ur using a sprinter chassis. with all this goin in ur really not gunna have much weight advantage and u'll have a higher gravity centre vs s13. the only advantages i can see to this approach is possibley the shorter wheel base (which some debate isnt even an advantage) and cheaper tires but otherwise it sounds alot like some novalty project to waste a few dollars. im not digging or startin shit but i really cant see much point in this. if u wanna really neat hachi run it with a t series dif and an NA 20v cuz at least then you'd get the fun value

my 2cents

Nigel
23rd October 2006, 07:47 PM
Yep pretty much. Everyones got there own opinion and they are entitled to that. I built an s13 before and im in need of a change. Just give me some time, it will all come together.

grassworkzgarage
23rd October 2006, 08:34 PM
2nd that. the whole point of a 86 to me is the car is what it is, a na high rev'n bigger scale go kart which gets twitchee in the rear under brakes, oversteers coming out of corners a hand fully of fun. not a 400hp rocket that stays on rail going around corners. but thats just me

Gilly
24th October 2006, 08:23 AM
just do it

its your car

it should definately be one of the angriest 86's in Australia when its done.

it's cool to see something different every now and then. moreso when the builder nows what they are doing and has the skills to finish it properly. judging by your past works it should be a very good car.

Nigel
24th October 2006, 09:43 AM
2nd that. the whole point of a 86 to me is the car is what it is, a na high rev'n bigger scale go kart which gets twitchee in the rear under brakes, oversteers coming out of corners a hand fully of fun. not a 400hp rocket that stays on rail going around corners. but thats just me[/b]

grassworkzgarage, i know excactly what you mean. Yes ive had cars like this before and yes they are a whole lot of fun but im going to need more power for what i want to do with it. Believe me i would love 200hp 4ag that revs to 10,000rpm but thats not in my budget and i dont think its going to cut it for what I want to do with the car. I already have a well set up SR motor and im sure i could go get an S13 shell for $2000 and put all the stuff in that but at the end of the day it wont satisfy me. Is it wrong that i absolutley love the 86 shape and its herritage but want more power on a budget?

Just wait till the cars done and then you can pass judgement on it but at the end of the day im building this for me to have fun in and me only.

grassworkzgarage
24th October 2006, 12:18 PM
fair enough just get that real jdm look happening, fat rims, 15inch max and it should all look sweet

rthy
24th October 2006, 01:39 PM
16s would be better if ur ganna run bigger brakes
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/in...?showtopic=9021 (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=9021)

parkerlewis
24th October 2006, 01:41 PM
no need to justify this build up, Nigel. 99.9999% of the members on here are hanging to see how this thing turns out!
By the way, is that Shonelle's car you are buying? My friend was going to buy it a few weeks ago, but didn't, obviously. For what it's worth, he said it seemed really solid, compared to his current adm sprinter, which is getting a bit 'loose'. I used to go out with her sister, which is how I know the car! Think she bought it off a granny..

LAZY
24th October 2006, 01:48 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=277284)

2nd that. the whole point of a 86 to me is the car is what it is, a na high rev'n bigger scale go kart which gets twitchee in the rear under brakes, oversteers coming out of corners a hand fully of fun. not a 400hp rocket that stays on rail going around corners. but thats just me[/b]

grassworkzgarage, i know excactly what you mean. Yes ive had cars like this before and yes they are a whole lot of fun but im going to need more power for what i want to do with it. Believe me i would love 200hp 4ag that revs to 10,000rpm but thats not in my budget and i dont think its going to cut it for what I want to do with the car. I already have a well set up SR motor and im sure i could go get an S13 shell for $2000 and put all the stuff in that but at the end of the day it wont satisfy me. Is it wrong that i absolutley love the 86 shape and its herritage but want more power on a budget?

Just wait till the cars done and then you can pass judgement on it but at the end of the day im building this for me to have fun in and me only.
[/b]

believe me when I say that 200hp 4ag that revs to 10,000rpm has a really narrow torque band (that's why they make 200hp only at the top). Driving these lumpy cam 4ag's on the street are a pain, it's really like driving with a big turbo.

I been in sr's, gtrs is possibly the most responsive turbo you can find, i have heard good things about tdo6 20g's and I been in a vr4 with a hks gt2830r (internal wastegate, stock cams and no cam gears) which is responsive and makes horsepower, he ran high elevens not striped with everthing in the car, not bad for a heavy sedan 4wd.. all these cars were tune for a wide torque band and are street driven.

Machiavelli
27th October 2006, 10:45 AM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=273683)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RobertoX @ Oct 13 2006, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=273654)<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

when i spoke to beau at the tassie round of DA he actually said he was using a either hiace or tarago diff (cant remeber exactly atm) with a is200 LSD
[/b][/quote]

that is correct. but they are talking about a different beau.

parkerlewis
30th October 2006, 11:49 AM
so Nigel, did you get the car or what?

dustyae86
30th October 2006, 01:42 PM
so Nigel, did you get the car or what?[/b]

i reckn its an awesome idea nigel hopefully we can all see it through the build up.... trav has a pic of my car on his phone ask him if you wnat a looksy

Nigel
31st October 2006, 10:23 AM
Yes picked up the car last week, still planning and sourcing parts before the build begins.

Nigel
31st October 2006, 10:24 AM
Oh and by the way are these 16s?
Its the look im going for

Gilly
31st October 2006, 04:06 PM
i'd say 17's

anything over 15 inches is a crime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mattysshop
31st October 2006, 04:20 PM
i'd say 17's

anything over 15 inches is a crime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]

second that... anything bigger than 15's looks weird..

DRFT - 86
31st October 2006, 05:57 PM
surprisingly they look pretty sweet I reckon........ but yeh 15's FTW 16's Max

Gilly
31st October 2006, 05:58 PM
i might add you have unlimited personal choice in widths. anything over 7 inches is accepted by the Sprinter community!!!

breno
1st November 2006, 09:49 AM
Its the look im going for[/b]

Auctually, they are 16's suprisingly.

DRFT - 86
1st November 2006, 01:53 PM
I used to have 16's on mine before and they never looked that big.... I know tire size has alot to do with it, but those look more like 17's...... how do yo know that they are definatly 16's?

parkerlewis
1st November 2006, 05:31 PM
ok 14/15 is the norm, and is always nice, but as with the rest of this project, it's good to see someone who doesn't care what the masses think is right, and just goes with their gut feeling. As long as the wheels are deepish and light they should look ok, like some 16" te37's or similar...nothing too aeshetically modern, though! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

Brenton 86
1st November 2006, 06:46 PM
Its the look im going for[/b]

New it looked familiar
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/119295.jpg

Monk
1st November 2006, 07:15 PM
Puttin 17s on a sprinter is like admitting the fast and the furious is your favourite movie.
not cool.

LordNafe
2nd November 2006, 12:00 PM
14's and 15's are far too small for the amount of power this with will ahve. Nice wide 16's will be good!

Solo
7th November 2006, 09:42 PM
Saw your ad on ns.com... Giving up on the project? Shame...http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif

5PRNTA
16th November 2006, 04:53 AM
yes niges dream has been given up on im sad to report i was over his house the other night and he had said that he sold it it and bought a sivia because he got it at a really good price and all the work has been done so i sad to report this devistating news im shattered i was lookin foward to buildin my 86 along side him but oh well u win some u loose some

P.S nige the silvia is a fukin machine cant wait to see it driven on our random drift nights yeah boiii