PDA

View Full Version : Running coils on a 20v

mrbigport
11th October 2006, 12:29 PM
hey, im getting a conversion getting done real soon, was just wondering if its posisble to run coils with the stock ecu with the silvertop.. and what i would need in terms of parts (i heard i need different ignitors like from a camira)

I read around the forums and heard it was possible, but just talked to who was going to wire my engine. He says you can but your going to end up spending 500-600 in parts as i need a certain unit to run the gze coils on the silvertop.. He said the cheaper alternative was to just run the dizzy and modify the firewall

cheers, thanks in advance
ray

slydar
11th October 2006, 04:59 PM
it can be done. you need an aditional electronic deveice for converting the signal so that it can fire coil packs. there are local and japanese manufactured products. but theyre hard to get.

i would highly recommend you use aftermarket management on your 20v anyway. you will make ALOT more power, and youll have no trouble running coil packs.

mrbigport
11th October 2006, 07:04 PM
thanks for the info sly! I guess i'll get an aftermarket ecu in the future. but for now i'll have to go with the dizzy. Don't get me wrong i want more power.. but for now i want reliability even more.. so my brakes and suspension (among other things) are getting booster shots after the conversion is finished.

Cheers

rthy
11th October 2006, 07:24 PM
I have heard you can buy a kit to mount the dizzy onto the exhaust cam gear, dont know for sure though. Or you can buy a converter module made by Steve Tosh which is sold through meridian motorsport, very easy to get.