PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cages

stouty
12th October 2006, 04:04 PM
Trying to find out what sort of roll cage i can put in my AE86 so it is cams approved and able to be road worthy?? Ive herad that 5 point cages cannot be cams approved?? Thanks.

Gilly
12th October 2006, 04:10 PM
for roadworthy it has to be certified by an approved inspector of whatever state department of transport you are with, this is because it alters the seating capacity.

cams, i don't know

biggo
12th October 2006, 04:25 PM
there is no way a cams approved cage will be road worthy.

but having said that any cage (even a half cage) is a good investment

darkon
12th October 2006, 04:47 PM
i dont know jack shit about cams and i care even less about them but i can tell you that 6 point cages arent street legal but anything before that (half cages) is totally legal (after uv gone through the appropriate channels n had them complied etc). but in ae86s ur probably better off just spot welding the seems and leaving it at that. why would u want the cage to be cams compliant?

PuGZoR
12th October 2006, 06:10 PM
I think minimum for CAMS is 7 point. (2 behind drivers seats, 2 on diagonals to that to go into the rear, 2 below the dash, and there has to be at least one diagonal in the back half of it between two of the main legs, there's a whole set of diagrams in the CAMS manual) IIRC, it's between 44-50mm diameter 2.5mm thick for main parts, and 38-48mm diameter 2.2mm thick for cross bracing. I could be talking shit, but it's around that. Get a CAMS booklet if you're considering that route.

Blown86
12th October 2006, 07:51 PM
there is no way a cams approved cage will be road worthy.

but having said that any cage (even a half cage) is a good investment[/b]

Well I've got a legal 6 point cage in one of my Sprinters.... Rules are different state to state although.

See this for some cage info: http://www.cams.com.au/content.asp?PageID=...&ObjectID=3 (http://www.cams.com.au/content.asp?PageID=Vehicles&ObjectID=3)

The CAMS manual has all the details.

mc68
12th October 2006, 08:39 PM
why would u want the cage to be cams compliant?[/b]

dude, honestly...if you try putting in a shitty japanese cage (which has a 38mm main hoop, and wouldnt protect you from a chicken coop falling ontop of the car) it wont be complied by cams, ever...

the reason why cams is there is to ensure safety to all involved, and in recent events, WHY WOULDNT you want the cage to be cams compliant...

cages arent there to look 'good'...they are there for one reason, to save your ass

i suggest everyone thinking about a cage ring up cams, buy the handbook (07 edition may be out now) and then go from there.

stouty
12th October 2006, 11:17 PM
Thanks guys will help out alot.

Blown86
12th October 2006, 11:32 PM
What MC68 said!

The vast majority of the Jap cages I've seen are crap, more likely to squash you that bit extra in a prang.

When you check out the CAMS specs you'll see the difference... http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

mattysshop
13th October 2006, 08:57 AM
if you want a custom built Cams approved cage see Craig at extreme custom engineering 32743700.

Hen is a total nutcase
13th October 2006, 11:00 AM
1 - Get CAMS manual and look at their diagrams
2 - Talk to relevant engineer in your state and tell him what you want to do and see what he has to say
3 - Build a cage to meet both requirements

It may or may not be possible to do step 3 successfully, but talking to the right people BEFOREHAND will make the process as easy as possible.

Hen

biggo
13th October 2006, 07:38 PM
Well I've got a legal 6 point cage in one of my Sprinters.... Rules are different state to state although.[/b]

Is it cams approved?

ive got a legal homemade 4 pointer in my kesev.

Blown86
14th October 2006, 10:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Well I've got a legal 6 point cage in one of my Sprinters.... Rules are different state to state although.[/b]

Is it cams approved?

ive got a legal homemade 4 pointer in my kesev. [/b][/quote]

No, this one isn't CAMS compliant.

There's no reason why a CAMS cage can't be registered as long as it is bolt in.

You can't register a weld in cage, because that is structural and changes the crash worthiness of the car.

No one's going to bother to use a non CAMS compliant weld in cage, there's no point.... That's the point being confused.

darkon
15th October 2006, 05:30 PM
well this may sound gay but what abuot welding in a cams cage and puttin like a fake plate over the top with bolts stickin out. make it look like its bolt in?

LordNafe
15th October 2006, 05:50 PM
As far as I'm aware, CAMS won't approve any bolt in cages? I may be wrong, but I'm sure I've heard that somewhere?
CAMS approved cages are generally very, very expensive.

mc68
15th October 2006, 09:20 PM
cams WILL approve them, like i keep saying buy the cams handbook

but the bolt in cages that are so popular in imports wont pass...as they just arent good.

and haul....if you're getting a weld in cage just take the car off the road...you can still get them licenced in rally rego.

stouty
15th October 2006, 09:37 PM
Where can u get a cams booklet from. Local news agent???

psychofox
15th October 2006, 09:59 PM
Join a CAMS affiliated car club and apply for your 2S Licence and you get a booklet with all this info in it, or buy the Cams Manual of Motorsport for $50. www.cams.com.au is your friend.

jezz
16th October 2006, 02:51 PM
in victoria cages dont have to be certified if they meet certin specs, this is goin by the vehicle standards pdf's on their website. Unsure on the cam's side though.