PDA

View Full Version : anyone fibreglass?

holdenisshit
14th October 2006, 06:26 PM
Hi friends,

I am think of design a bodykit... but i need some help.

whats the basic ingredients and tools?

I need clay to design a kit???

anyone go over the process?

any hints/tips

thanks much. Im need big as FLARES sad.gif

ke70dave
15th October 2006, 01:20 PM
hey man, i dunno much about making bodykits, but i have made a few things from fibreglass (subwoofer/speaker installs). youve just gota somehow come up with a mould of some sort, maybe use wood/chicken wire/....i have no idea how you would make a mould for a body kit, but im sure its doable somehow. and then you just cover the outside with heaps of layers of fibreglass, and then rip out the mould and technically you should have a nice looking shell left. im sure it would need a fair bit of bog/sanding to make it look decent, but its prolly doable.

i was thinking of making a little "lip" for the front of my ke70 out of fibreglass, see how i go with that....

hope this helps

-David

Julz01
15th October 2006, 03:05 PM
Im going to learn how to fibre glass over the holidays, ive got some projects in mind for my car.

I think probably the best way for you to do a body kit with ease and not getting a professional would be to get a original front bar and the modifying it to get ur design, then use that as a mold.

AE71GZE
15th October 2006, 03:19 PM
i've glassed surfboards before ..and hate nothing more in life than playing with it ..I'd rather import genuine from japan and pay 3g than stuff round until you get it right ..either that or as julz sais uyse standard bar add bigger lips ect then take it to a glasser and get them to make up a mould .
Fibreglassing is a nightmare .

holdenisshit
16th October 2006, 10:57 PM
lol thanks for your kind words of encourage....... anyway my asian hands got lots of skills... i heard you get real fukin itchy smile.gif

AE71GZE
17th October 2006, 10:07 AM
Yep real fucken itchy ! !

gottago
17th October 2006, 11:10 AM
i make kits use that green molding foam from lincraft you sand it to your desired shape then lay a thin layer of glass on top of it. prep the plus then mold away

ke70dave
17th October 2006, 01:43 PM
doesnt the fibreglass eat away at this foam stuff? i would of thought you would have to cover the foam with masking tape or something?, if not thats a pretty awesome idea would never thought of using foam...might have to give that a go.......

stouty
17th October 2006, 01:59 PM
I worked at as hot rod building shop for 3 months they made fibreglass bodys i loved the job but couldnt STAND the itching thats why i left.

JDMJNKY
17th October 2006, 02:06 PM
I WROTE AN ARTICLE IN TECH ARTICLES MAKING GLASS GUARDS READ IT IF U LIKE

jezz
17th October 2006, 03:21 PM
track down john (feral mr2) on the toymods forum and ask him how its done, he made a full body kit himself.