PDA

View Full Version : Urgent info required

Gilly
15th October 2006, 05:12 PM
Hey guy's

became obvious today i have some diff issues. retracing my steps in assembling the diff i realised there was no shims for the axle end float, so i need to know what it should be as i think it's contributing to my noise issues. or how you adjust it as i don't recall seeing any shims to adjust. iknow my s series had some axle play (in / out) so it makes sense the t series should have the same.

everything else appears fine, there is no noise in a straight line, but and awful lot of scraping and banging when cornering at slow speeds and less noise at higher speeds. you can also feel some clutch plates grabbing but i have ordered friction modifier for this. my main concern is the banging and crashing/scraping.

strangely enough when we drove through the more open higher speed section of Tambo all noise went away, but was back again around springwood when we stopped for a feed.

centre has been professionally setup so i'm not thinking it's the centre at all. this is also not normal noise associated with 2 ways, its hardcore.

getting pulled apart tomorrow so any info appreciated.

Hen is a total nutcase
15th October 2006, 07:02 PM
I've never seen shims for end float in a T series.

It's just housing, then slide in the axle and bearing and clamp the bearing down with the bearing retainer plate.

Could it be that your axles are too long and rubbing something in the diff centre. I've heard that non-LSD axles (T18 etc) need to have 5mm or so ground off when used with an LSD centre. Did they slide in "easily" all the way?

Hen

rallystanza
15th October 2006, 07:07 PM
If you have a KAAZ 2 way they can be really really bad when you first install them as new. They sound like they are going to break and there is a heap of real hardcore nioses that come from them and they sound very much like they are going to break.

Have you performed all the correct procedures for running the diff in?

Jez

rallystanza
15th October 2006, 07:07 PM
double post are bad mmmkay

Gilly
15th October 2006, 07:11 PM
TRD 2 way. 2nd hand, recently pulled apart, inspected an setup professionally

i've had the KAAZ problem before. i thought thats what it was. i changed to penrite 10 10ths and it made no difference (which is what cured the KAAZ noise. it became evident that it wasn't a centre issue today though as it definately seems to sound out board towards drums.

using RA40 axles, could these maybe need the 5mm ground off them.

wasn't hard to do one side but i noticed the opposite side was a little tough but thought nothing of it. hmmmm....

also worth noting cold = no noise. only gets noisey after heating up say 15minutes of driving.

starting to sound like axles need shaving.

Gilly
16th October 2006, 05:49 PM
fixed.

axles were too long as Hen suggested. they had been rubbing against something don't know if it was the centre or maybe even rubbing against each other. either way they managed to grind about 2mm off each axle.

i removed both axles ground them down a further 3 mm. filed a beveled edge on the splines so it resembled the old one and is easy to install.

went back together a lot easier. and so far drives fine.

changed oil too drain plug magnet was covered in so many little shavings. diff oil was still as clean as when i put it in the other day so everything should now be fully sik.

cheers Hen!!