PDA

View Full Version : body rust

sprinters_r_mad
17th October 2006, 08:33 PM
hey guys

im lookin at a sprinter for my future and first project but the one i have in mind appears to have rust damage and needs body work.

has anyone done rust removal or body work themselves and if so i was wondering if DIY rust removal is an easy task or if i may need some help
and.......how do i do it myself if its possible?

thanks guys http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

steroidchickens
17th October 2006, 09:13 PM
where is the rust?
is it on the outside of the body, it is not an easy job if you havent done it before. but you need to do it properly otherwise it will just come back.

sprinters_r_mad
17th October 2006, 10:53 PM
i dunno where the rust is but from what im told its on the boot lid where it usually gathers on a sprinter

steroidchickens
17th October 2006, 11:04 PM
you probly wont be able to find another one.
is it a hole or surface rust?
if you are asking this question you will probly have trouble repairing it properly.

gumbie
18th October 2006, 05:02 PM
If the rust is a hole and you want to do it properly you will need:

Angle grinder, steel sheet or rust repair panel, welder (I used a mig but i have heard of people using arcs and oxys), bog to smooth the repair and some paint.

If you don't have or know how to use these (welder in particular) it will be a difficult and messy job to do your self and probably more expensive than going to a panel beater and getting it done.

My two cents Nick

sprinters_r_mad
18th October 2006, 07:39 PM
its only surface rust so from what u blokes are tellin me its not gonna be too hard to remove it....................luckily if its bad, there are three 'pick-a-part' kind of joints kind of close to me so i may be able to find some new shit for the back