PDA

View Full Version : Newbie AE86 questions!

RunFree
19th October 2006, 05:48 PM
Hello there 86 ppls,

OK, Ive always had a soft spot for the 'ol hachi and am doing the research into everything before looking to purchase. I drive a fwd pulsar atm and it is a pain in the ass to work on(so cramped), so the noice and roomy(compared to a 2L east west confg) north south setup on the 86 appeals greatly, among its other merits such as the light kerb weight, rwd nimble handling and versatility (circuit, drift, drag, street) which you guys already know derrr!

Most people think im crazy for even consdering downgrading to an 'older' car(mine is a 92), but I really do love the 86. While a new car would be noice, with its low kms and the like there is one problem...

With each new model comes innovation and technology and with that comes electronic gizmos which will eventually go wrong and you will have to fix (has anyone had an airbag blow up in their face before?)

So another big reason for considering the 86 is its relatively simpleness and most of the stuff on the car, could be fixed at home. I have also read and seen that although being a 20+ year old car, there are a number of companies still making parts for the lil beast, which I really like the idea of!

And, I have thought of possibly an Sxx's, Rxx's, WRXs, EVOs and that, but in the end, who wants to be another sheep?.....

Anyways enough of the ramblings, onto the q's...

The things I would most like to know is:

1-I would prefer to just bite the bullet and look at the JDM models, as I feel that they are the better buy for me personally-with the 4AGE, disc rear and LSD standard (ie. no mucking about with conversions and the like).
And no, im not an Intial D-reamer wanting a panda trueno with Fujiwara stickers on the side like a lot of people who have jumped on the 86 bandwagon, I like both the levin and trueno models, heck, the 86 looks good in adm spec lowered on some phat rims! love all of em!

So what JDM models are available to buy(as in the most common) in the 3dr, and what approx prices am I looking at?

2- As it is an import, is it hard to source parts for the 86?
Things like dizzy's,plugs, leads, gaskets, injectors, seals (front and rear oil etc.),hoses, filters, panels, lights, bumpers,bushes,axles,water pumps,thermostats,steering boots,clutch and accelerator cables, engine mounts, power steering pumps,ball joints,sumps,brakes(calipers, pads, lines),gearboxes and the like.

3-Taking into account that they are 20+ y.o car and that 150 000-250 000kms are the norm mileage, how do the hachi's cope with general day to day driving with wear and tear on the mechanicals-in other words, what doesnt last on em and what common problems do arise? On the same topic, how many of you drive your 86 everyday?

I think those q's are the most important at this moment, but if I think of any later, ill post em up.

All genuine, informative replies will be greatly appreciated! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

Cheers
RunFree

bahnugget
19th October 2006, 07:26 PM
well most of your mechanical parts and things are readily available in australia, AE82 Twincam and the AW11 MR2's have basically exactly the same motor (i think in fact the only difference is the ECU), and much of the suspension components will be the same as the australian delivered models.

brakes im not sure about.. i know rotors/calipers and stuff are pretty easy to find but you're not going to need them anyway

panels are the same as the ADM models, lights are gunna cost a bit for the actual units (whether it be whiteline tail lights or even just the JDM headlight units) but i dont see why you'd need them either

as far as reliablility and day to day driving goes, 250K's is probly the upper end of the scale for an import, but its a toyota not a datsun so it'll be fine.

also technology isnt the devil.. airbags save more lives than they take, and failure is pretty uncommon.. things like vvti and stuff.. its all good

D0R186
19th October 2006, 07:45 PM
just so you know not all japanese models came out standard with lsd and disk break rear end, lsd was a factory option and the ae86 gt versions came out with drum rear end i think, so if your going to import one make sure you choose one with factory lsd (even though its not that tight), best choice would be to import gtv model as this is the lightest of them all with even stiffer spring rates, but none of he gt-apex luxuries http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

Julz01
19th October 2006, 08:02 PM
First off you have made to best decision to by a jdm spritner, its just some much more easier then buying an adm, since it has everthing already in it. Ive had mine since 04, its still mechanically stock. If I would have waited I would have had the money to buy or import a JDM coupe " I prefer coupes but stuck with a hach till I sell it" and if I would have done that it probably would have had more work then what ive done now.

Instead of importing one just buy one that has already been imported here. I saw two on tradingpost.com.au, in tasmania, from memory both were gt apex, one levin, on tureno, both coupe not hachi, only about 8-9 k
If I had the money I definanlty get either one of theses.

Also if your set on importing one make sure you get one that has alot of aftermarket goodies, even if they are old, its better as you will have a good basies to start modifying or just leaving it as is.

RunFree
21st October 2006, 12:37 AM
Thx guys! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Anyone else who has some answers to my q's?

RunFree
22nd October 2006, 12:23 AM
BUMP!

rthy
22nd October 2006, 12:53 AM
1: get jdm if u dont like doing the work & got $
2: u should be able to get most stuff jdm stuff here as above
tho putting a adm 4age dizzy to save time getting jdm dizzy caps
3: i drive a trueno as a daily driver , and i wouldnt really recommend it..
driving it to the city every day during peak hr iv had to many close calls.

get one if it suits ur budget

damo101
22nd October 2006, 04:25 AM
what close calls leo?http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif