PDA

View Full Version : Inline fuel pumps

Brenton 86
21st October 2006, 01:15 AM
Hey guys,
Currently replacing my Bosch 070 external fuel pump as its shagged but spoke to a mate today and he suggested a walbro or tomei. Tomei is probably out of my budget but im very interested to hear people's experiences with the reliability of each.

Also iv found ebay is about $60 cheaper than all the parts suppliers trade prices. The items are claimed to be genuine and new so also wondering if anyone has purchased through ebay.

Thanks, Brenton

steroidchickens
22nd October 2006, 11:43 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GENUINE-BOSCH-910-F...1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GENUINE-BOSCH-910-FUEL-PUMP-RX7-SKYLINE-WRX-VL-TURBO_W0QQitemZ290041640476QQihZ019QQcategoryZ1256 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

this is the one i got. off this same seller. he was a top bloke. just my luck the pump i got was faulty. he sent out another brand new one no questions asked. overnight express post. got it next day.

great pumps.

mc68
22nd October 2006, 11:46 PM
walbro are shit...stay away!

Big T
23rd October 2006, 09:26 AM
walbro are shit...stay away![/b]

Care to clarify this statement? I'm using one and have zero complaints so far. I have heard people say they get fairly loud when hot but otherwise are fine.

Bosch internal pumps are good but also remember you need to get a one-way valve on the end of it. Walbros come with the valve in-built. Bosches are also not the smallest pump and need a bit of fiddling to fit into the fuel tank.

Eddie.

mc68
23rd October 2006, 10:06 PM
Care to clarify this statement?[/b]

yuh, well the build of walbro are fine and since were are talking about fitting them in a tank,

the standard pickup or (teabag) always points down yes? yet walbro ones are 1/2 the size and dont point down, point 90 degrees to the pump, effectively not pointing down.

to over come this your have to mount it lower than the standard bag would be (which isnt supported, just connected to the pump..) running longer efi lines IN the tank is not my cup of tea..no matter how good it may be...it will eventually deteriorate....

and you cant pull the walbro pickup bag off!

now in relation to inline ones...with bosch being to tried and true....and no need to have them small to fit in the tank...why would u bother with a walbro, seeing as 044's are like $230 bucks now...

Big T
24th October 2006, 01:05 AM
yuh, well the build of walbro are fine and since were are talking about fitting them in a tank,

the standard pickup or (teabag) always points down yes?[/b]

Nope...

yet walbro ones are 1/2 the size and dont point down, point 90 degrees to the pump, effectively not pointing down.[/b]
So how is this any different to the stock JDM fuel pump??? (thanks to Garth for the piccy)

http://www.digitalfunk.net/Garth/ae86/fuelpump/4.jpg

to over come this your have to mount it lower than the standard bag would be (which isnt supported, just connected to the pump..) running longer efi lines IN the tank is not my cup of tea..no matter how good it may be...it will eventually deteriorate....[/b]

When i took my pump out, the intank efi lines were perfect... not a sign of wear and this is from a 20 year+ car.

mc68
24th October 2006, 09:56 AM
heh, ive never done a toyota one,, all the rex/evo ones point down..hence my questioning..my mistake

johnny_08
18th November 2006, 03:17 AM
sorry to bring bac an old topic, but with my fuel pump it whines when its hot or after a long drive, and u can feel the vibration in the handbrake, and my mechanic said it was the bearings. time for a new pump? would that be cheaper and ease of mind?
cheers
John