PDA

View Full Version : tell me bout "trade me NZ"

slide86
21st October 2006, 09:00 PM
im looking at getting some stuff from NZ. i have become a member of trade me, and im wanting some advice/experience with others that have used it in the past.

they reackon you need a NZ bank account to use it? fact or fiction?
i wish i could jsut use paypal, do they have an equivelent?

lemme know what you think and opinions/experiences....

cheers
Huw

Oly AE86
21st October 2006, 09:18 PM
Hey, I bought some stuff from NZ last year off trade me.

I payed using international money order, which I think cost me $12.

I then had it posted to Auckland where my dad was working, and he brought it back with him.

Worked out good, I had the option to have it posted too, but was easier to just bring back on the plane.

cheers

Oly

slide86
21st October 2006, 09:33 PM
cool. so you can do international money order from your local PO.

also, they items should work out cheaper for us cause of the exchange rate?

Oly AE86
22nd October 2006, 07:32 PM
Yes, the exchange rate can help.

Just like eBay you gotta confirm before you bid that the people you are buying off are good people, and they are cool with payment and postage conditions.

But us kiwis are pretty cool, havn't met many bad ones. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

slide86
22nd October 2006, 07:47 PM
yeah. im still trying to work out this sign up stuff. maybe ill just have to email the guys that i want to buy the stuff from and see if they will post to australia.

can you bank transfer from an aus bank to an NZ bank???

parrot
23rd October 2006, 12:57 AM
International bank transfers are fairly pricey (roughly $20) depending on your bank. No one over there seems to have paypal. You don't need an NZ bank account. I have sent cash in the post for cheap things. A liitle different to ebay in that most things have a reserve, but seems OK to ask what the reserve is. If the bid is at say $5 and you want to put in a bid of $100, it will automatically take the bid up to $100 if that happens to be under the reserve. Not like ebay where it just goes fractionally against the next highest bidder.

slide86
23rd October 2006, 01:42 AM
cheers for that info. looks like i may have to use bank transfers tho as they dont have paypal http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif

anyone else had experiences?

samuel
23rd October 2006, 07:09 AM
Yeah i've bought a fair bit from NZ

Just be careful and ask them first if they are willing to post to Australia before you commit to buy an item.

The exchange rate isn't too bad in our favour

As previously mentioned you can netbank the funds internationally if your netbanking is setup for it and it will cost you somewhere around $20 depending on which back you are going from and to.

parrot
23rd October 2006, 01:43 PM
Just picked up a blacktop loom, ecu, coil ignitor map sensor etc for $250NZ. NZ post have a track and trace option for an extra $10NZ

slide86
23rd October 2006, 01:57 PM
from trade me? did you use bank deposit or another means?

interested to know how your transaction goes. so i can get an idea for myself. thanks

parrot
23rd October 2006, 05:10 PM
Just going thru now. Will do a bank deposit this time so means setting up an international money transfer facility on your internet banking account, no big deal, ring the bank and you nominate a maiximum daily withdrawal limit.

As I said, have requested the guy uses the track and trace option from NZ post so I know it is coming and he knows I have got it. Usually story, check the sellers feedback score etc.

You can use something called safetrader which acts as an escrow service (have a look on trademe), a little complicated to set up but essentially you send the money to them, they tell the seller they have it, you tell them when you receive the goods, they release payment to seller., and you pay a fee. You can use paypal over there it's just that not many of them seem to have it and again that incurs fees to the seller when withdrawing the funds, only really much good if you are trading internationally and much of trademe seems to be NZ people only, unlike ebay.

RobertoX
23rd October 2006, 06:59 PM
i have been selling on trademe for about a year now, great site easy to use and 99% of people are genuine and co-operative

a million times better than ebay

and yes if selling u need an nz bank account

slide86
23rd October 2006, 07:23 PM
ah..... so if you are selling you need a NZ bank account only. not if youre buying.....

cheers dave. thats a big help http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif