View Full Version : Best value upgrades?

flamingheads
24th October 2006, 10:52 PM
Supposing you were starting with a clean stock ADM sprinter and slowly upgrading it, what order would you do things? What do people think is the best value stuff to do and what youd leave till later.
Also take into account how much it will cost so like maybe an engine conversion would be the best thing but its going to be expensive so maybe for the same money you would put in suspension and wheels first and do the engine later.

ke70dave
24th October 2006, 11:00 PM
i would go

suspesion then possibly brakes, and if you needed bigger rims for the brakes get them, then look at an engine conversion

Leigh
24th October 2006, 11:58 PM
Yeah the best way to get the most out of your car is to start with suspension then brakes.
I've just "upgraded" my rear shocks basically bought some used commodore rear shocks put them in and the car is so much better!!
I can't wait to overhaul my whole suspension, brakesand pullout all un needed (wanted) weight, but in terms of cost and results suspension is the first thing especially in an 86

Leigh

bahnugget
25th October 2006, 09:34 AM
yuup suspension #1, brakes #2 (mostly cause half the time u do them as a suspension upgrade, plus u'll need them for #3 - your engine conversion)

Joel-AE86
25th October 2006, 10:30 AM
Depends what you want to do with your car (as far as driving styles), and how much you want to spend.

I can modify hachi/ke suspension to be 1/2 decent for fark all cost using 2nd hand bits n pieces from other cars. It wouldnt be fantastic compared to new decent shit, but it will work well and will be a 1/4 of the cost.

Agreed tho...suspension is what makes a hachi a good car. Power is secondary.

flamingheads
25th October 2006, 07:22 PM
This sounds like some good advice. Its what Ive always thought but Ive also always disliked 4AC power. Ill probably do something like this next beast I get.
And I was just thinking how few places people would tell you suspension before power. Truly a unique website...

yoshimitsu9
25th October 2006, 07:32 PM
EDIT: first mod ill be doing to my sprinter id ill be heading down to the wreckers and pulling the rear sway bar out of a tercel (swap over with a hachi and they are 2 times as thick as the stock sway) then ill be buying a strut brace for the front and installing the king springs i have. already have 4age and supporting mods such at dual core radiator and big fuel system

Dish
25th October 2006, 07:59 PM
Big fuel system.. Haha. It's a 4age, not a big turbo rotary.

Pretty sure you'll have to bend the tercel swaybar to fit an 86 also.

Jesse86
25th October 2006, 08:05 PM
yeah dont worry so much about the mega buck fuel system

Gilly
25th October 2006, 09:56 PM
tercel swaybar is 3mm larger in diameter

stock 14mm
tercel 17mm
most aftermarket 18 - 20mm

yoshimitsu9
25th October 2006, 10:05 PM

Pretty sure you'll have to bend the tercel swaybar to fit an 86 also.[/b]

here is the reason why it has a massive fuel system... the dude i bought it off had a 180rw/kw 4agte in it http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif thats why its in there

it has a bosch 040 pump and vl turbo pump and surge tank all connected to a NA bigport lol

RobertoX
26th October 2006, 01:31 PM
pull it out and sell it

yoshimitsu9
26th October 2006, 02:09 PM
why would i do that? it will be turbo one day

Monk
26th October 2006, 03:35 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=277885)

Pretty sure you'll have to bend the tercel swaybar to fit an 86 also.[/b]

here is the reason why it has a massive fuel system... the dude i bought it off had a 180rw/kw 4agte in it http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif thats why its in there

it has a bosch 040 pump and vl turbo pump and surge tank all connected to a NA bigport lol
[/b]

sounds like a normal fuel system to me.
Infact mines the same and Im running a bigger bosch.

so i would say you have a normal 'coversion' fuel system