PDA

View Full Version : alternator

Buddy
1st November 2006, 09:32 AM
why is my elcectric failing. alternator not charging enough... get it fixed... it fails again.. ah

anyone have silimar probs... 4age, with mircotech, ..not much else drianing power, few guages, headunit

cheers

frost_e911
14th November 2006, 08:05 PM
you need to be more specific...alternator should charge at 13.8 - 14.2 volts...
if your alternator is not charging at that..make sure your battery is fully charged when you check this as a flat battery will show lower reading...could also be conections between alternator and battery..

however if it is a drain the most likely place is the head unit..where did you take your power supplys from??

any other info could help find your problem!!!

Gilly
14th November 2006, 10:28 PM
sounds like current draw from somewhere. take the positive clamp off the battery terminal and between the positive terminal on the battery and the positve clamp on the loom, put a multimeter ( IN AMPS MODE!!!) in series (as in loom positive then a multimeter probe to multimeter then other multimeter probe to positive terminal on the battery) you should have nothing show on screen when the car is off. if you do have an amps reading then something is drawing power hence killing your battery.

sorry if that's a bit dumbed down

Gilly
14th November 2006, 10:51 PM
^^^ do what he said!! i'll have to remeber that (2nd post)

ozsprintz
24th November 2006, 01:12 AM
dont know how long the conversion was done but when i did mine i took off the voltage regulator and had to fix the plug that plugged into it. my charge light was always on and the batt would never charge. its a pretty quick fix like 2 min