PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Brake upgrade

sledpilot
1st November 2006, 11:45 AM
hey,
lately there has been alot of talk about brake upgrades, and using stock rotors ect from other models for the AE86.
I few issues back, ther was an '86 fetured with the old 80's supra brake upgrade. i dont know if this is a simple conversion or what? What about converting S13 brakes over??????!!!?!?!?!?
is it good to save the $$$ and try converting to a stock models brakes? or buy new Aftermarket items?

What do you guys think???

personly if its possible, JZA80 supra rotors and calipers would be great, as the supra is know as being a heavier car.....

So guys whatta you think??????

RobertoX
1st November 2006, 01:03 PM
get some decent pads for the stock brakes and see how you go

sledpilot
1st November 2006, 06:38 PM
hmmmmm, what does everybody else think????? has somebody done a conversion to a differnt make or model?

DRFT - 86
1st November 2006, 06:44 PM
currently in the process of doing an S13 coilover conversion using new SR20det disc's and calipers... not really needed unless your planning on running boost at some stage ect... should haul up no problems... definatly would advise to upgrade the rear brakes to equal it out a little...
(Im planning to use an R31 diff with discs)

decoyslikecurves
1st November 2006, 07:20 PM
I agree with dave, stock brakes aren't all that bad if you use good quality pads and fluid, and if they're in good condition

rthy
1st November 2006, 07:33 PM
why would you want upgraded brakes?

sledpilot
1st November 2006, 07:38 PM
why would you want upgraded brakes?[/b]

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/blink.gif http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/blink.gif
Brakes are the most inportant part of the car i say.
when you start to increase power you should increase your stopping capabilitys!!!!!!!!!

i wanna stop on a dime!

LAZY
1st November 2006, 08:19 PM
hey,
lately there has been alot of talk about brake upgrades, and using stock rotors ect from other models for the AE86.
I few issues back, ther was an '86 fetured with the old 80's supra brake upgrade. i dont know if this is a simple conversion or what? What about converting S13 brakes over??????!!!?!?!?!?
is it good to save the $$$ and try converting to a stock models brakes? or buy new Aftermarket items?

What do you guys think???

personly if its possible, JZA80 supra rotors and calipers would be great, as the supra is know as being a heavier car.....

So guys whatta you think??????[/b]

This is a simple mod, stronger braking without the over kill, although a brake bias adjuster is required.
The difference is rotors are vented and calipers have a bigger piston. The old supra/celica and factory wheels fit with a 5mm spacer.

sledpilot
1st November 2006, 08:42 PM
Ahhhh, righto, so its a reasonable mod with the old supra/celica gear. providing you have a bias adjuster. is the supra/celica gear the same for the back also or just the front? and if so, has anybody gone with this option with their hachi?

ke70dave
1st November 2006, 10:06 PM

on that subject, a brake upgrade would be required (engineering cert) for a 4age conversion into a ae86/ke70 right?

Hyuga
1st November 2006, 10:13 PM
please explain it a bit more on the supra brakes please like direct bolt on using ae86 strut?

LAZY
2nd November 2006, 01:19 PM
Oops, JZA80!!! sorry guys I'm refering to ma61.

rthy
2nd November 2006, 01:26 PM
please explain it a bit more on the supra brakes please like direct bolt on using ae86 strut?[/b]
no
but u can bolt in the ra60 strut with some sik + camber unless a longer lca is used

imo the stock brakes are fine, but if ur ganna upgrade to something like a ca18det u should use similar brakes, but u may also need some good tyres otherwise u will just lock up all the time and slide into something gay

LAZY
2nd November 2006, 01:43 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=280054)

please explain it a bit more on the supra brakes please like direct bolt on using ae86 strut?[/b]
no
but u can bolt in the ra60 strut with some sik + camber unless a longer lca is used

imo the stock brakes are fine, but if ur ganna upgrade to something like a ca18det u should use similar brakes, but u may also need some good tyres otherwise u will just lock up all the time and slide into something gay
[/b]

That's right compared the car's weight (800-900) to the supras (1400-1700) huge difference and can guarantee you brakes will be locked more often than improving the stopping distance.

mattysshop
2nd November 2006, 01:48 PM
another thing.. whats the point in upgrading the brakes if you have stock wheels/cheap tyres.. i think if the brakes are in good condition, and you have some decent tyres on the car.. and you are bringing the stock brakes to fade regularly, then try better pads, fluid, slot the rotors, or use some JDM ventilated ones with a bit chopped out of the brake pads (to use the aussie calipers)... and if your still getting them to fade regularly.. then upgrade..

no good having the worlds best brakes that do not fade ever.. but then haveing some sava intensa's doing all the work trying to stop the car from locking up!

LordNafe
2nd November 2006, 01:56 PM
Agree with rthy. Tyres are often overly looked for braking performance!
Get some good tyres and it'll pull up heaps better.

Hyuga
2nd November 2006, 09:53 PM
yea i agree the jdm brake would work fine cz its ventilated disc like normal car but defintely not our adm ones they faded out so quick badly.. i am thinking if i spend the 300+ for a set of jdm brakes then why not spend a bit more and get some bigger brakes?

sledpilot
2nd November 2006, 10:19 PM
Oops, JZA80!!! sorry guys I'm refering to ma61.[/b]
yeah, one of the original articles with the supra brake pack was from a ma61, but i didnt know if it could be done with JZA80's brakes as well.

i will look for the article again and find out what tyres he had was running, somebody may have seen it... it was in a realitvly new issue of HOT4s

distant00
2nd November 2006, 10:24 PM
what are my options for better performance brake pads? brand? price wise?

DRFT - 86
2nd November 2006, 10:25 PM
cant go wrong with TWR Lucas pads.......... cheap as and work amazingly well...... although unsure if they make pads for AE86

distant00
2nd November 2006, 11:13 PM
need something to suit ae86 http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/happy.gif

crazyGTrider
27th November 2006, 10:49 PM
Dude

Why not run nissan S13 SR20 calipers and rotors.

Im currently doing a 4AGTE conversion on my AE86 and going to use S13 SR20 calipers and rotors. For around $250 for a full second hand set you will be laughing.

Why go for the JDM 86 Disks all round when you can upgrade to a bigger brake for the same price and same amount of effort.

roadsailing
27th November 2006, 11:43 PM
Why go for the JDM 86 Disks all round when you can upgrade to a bigger brake for the same price and same amount of effort.[/b]

doing a S13 brake conversion is hardly the same amount of effort as just "bolting shit on"

Granto
28th November 2006, 12:07 AM
For any serious type of driving, the stock ADM brakes, even with decent pads and rotors and in good working order (rebuilt) and good fluid (super dot4, not quite dot5.1 hehe) are notupto the task.

They fade, bad.

I think vented would be alright, with good pads and rotors though.

RobertoX
28th November 2006, 12:35 AM
racebrakes RB74 i stock ($179pr)

rated up to 640c and 0.42 co-e of friction

5 HARD laps of mallala before they started to go off a tad, even with solid stock ae86 rotors

awesome pads, fine for the street

sledpilot
28th November 2006, 09:00 PM
awesome pads, fine for the street[/b]

Yeah, this is one thing you dont want overkill, or else you cant drive on the street,
i herd of a guy with some wizz bang race brake upgrade, but because be was driving on the street, the operating temp wasnt high enough and drove it off the road and into a fence!

rthy
30th November 2006, 12:45 PM
when I meant why would you want upgraded brakes I was checking to see if you think you could stop faster under normal conditions.

as for engeneering, my engineer in vic says you need upgraded brakes for anything with 1.6x the power or original. Also the rules here says any suspension/brake upgrade that bolts right on from a higher spec model doesnt need engineering

ArJay
30th November 2006, 07:52 PM
This looks the goods and will prob run it in the future...

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/in...showtopic=10053 (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=10053)

ae71
3rd December 2006, 11:32 AM
racebrakes RB74 i stock ($179pr)[/b]

yes these are very good, i have driven with them, even cold they bit good, when they get up to temp they get better...

static
1st June 2007, 09:42 PM
I thought this discussion was quite interesting

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/forums/topic.as...amp;whichpage=4 (http://www.mrtrally.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36&whichpage=4)

dr1ft-pig
2nd June 2007, 01:39 AM
most of the old celeica gear is pretty good, i have ra40 or ra60 cllipers and rotoer on my 86 and they r pretty good, they stop alot quiker than stock and havent faded on me yet,

also on the rear ill be using r31 stye pintara brakes a straight fit with the rotrs and i have custom brakets made so they will bolt up, only thing i havent worked out yet is handbrake cables

beerhead
2nd June 2007, 02:22 AM
I'll have JDM, RX7, and a cheap new creation if it works.

JDM should be $450 with new rotors and lucas pads (s/h machined cheaper)

The RX7 FC3S upgrade is should be ready in the next month or 2, it will include

-New vented 280mm vented 24mm thick rotors (fits under 15" wheel)
-Rebuilt 4 piston Mazda FC3S piston
-CNC Steel caliper braket
-Custom brake lines to suit AE86/AE71
-New 1" Bore master cylinder
-Clutch lines to suit, in bay and external
$900 - at current estimate, will keep everyone informed, hoping to get it together cheaper

The mazda upgraded is intended for race use only.

------------------

FYI, I am an AE86 sponser now http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

gottago
2nd June 2007, 12:44 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=279960)

on that subject, a brake upgrade would be required (engineering cert) for a 4age conversion into a ae86/ke70 right?
[/b]

to get my 20v engineered in my 86 i needed to have vented rotors. so JDM struts and brakes were a cheap upgrade and engineer said no problems..