PDA

View Full Version : tacho and speedo probs

driftke70
2nd November 2006, 12:28 AM
yeh i put a 4age in my rolla but havnt been able to get the tacho or speedo working, the cable goes into a t50 and seems to fit alright, its the stock cable so it definately goes into the cluster, and i know it was working before i ripped the old motor out.

I havnt been able to find wiring stuff for the tacho so if anyone knows what wires go where ill be most delighted.

cheers in advance
beally.

Gilly
2nd November 2006, 09:29 AM
i used the KE70 speedo cable in my T50'd KE70 and it worked fine. however it is a bit of a stretch so it may not be "in" all the way. also often it appears to be seated in the back of the cluster, but isn't!!

tacho, no idea sorry......

Hen is a total nutcase
2nd November 2006, 10:14 AM
Tacho - take a wire from the negative terminal of the coil and run it to the tacho signal wire (originally would have come off the KE70 coil too).

Hen

driftke70
2nd November 2006, 01:54 PM
i assume that is the black wire hanging around where the old coil used to be, i think i might just connect it up to a few wires and see what i can get to happen, thanks for the advice fellas ill let you know if i have any dramas.

driftke70
2nd November 2006, 02:42 PM
i got the tach working sweet but the speedo is a pain. Where it goes into the cluster theres barely any cable sticking out, like the tip of a match head just poking out. I dont think this is enough to get it working, and down near the gear box i made sure it was all sweet down there. Theres like a rubber boot thing that slides over a tapered cap onto the gear box, im not sure if that might be the problem cause when i pull it off theres just oodles of cable hanging out to go into the g box, but when i slide it over there none left at the cluster. I tried getting needle nose pliers and pulling on it, but it didnt budge. Would an ae71 cable work better perhaps?

Gilly
2nd November 2006, 03:02 PM
if you can get an ae71 one than use that, even an ae86 one would be better. i had trouble with the gearbox x member getting in the way. try it a few differnet routes/positions and see what gives you more slack in the cable itself, thats what i had to do to get mine to work.

driftke70
2nd November 2006, 03:34 PM
ill give it a go

selk
2nd November 2006, 05:55 PM
u didnt accidentally damage the cable

rthy
2nd November 2006, 06:02 PM
i used a ae71 cable in my ae86 for about 1 year, its short but not to short, just fits

rthy
2nd November 2006, 06:41 PM
by memory the wire that used to be on the negative side of the coil that is black with an orange stripe is the one you want. I can confirm this though.

mikewestphoto
2nd November 2006, 11:59 PM
Black/Orange is a power wire and is connected to the loom. The tacho wire on my KE70 is black.

I have had no problems with my KE70 speedo cable whatsoever. There is plenty of cable to reach the cluster.