PDA

View Full Version : Heater Core Stuffed

mrbigport
3rd November 2006, 12:41 PM
Hey, my heater core stuffed up on me last night coolant spilled inside tha cabin.. I was told to block or loop the heater hoses, but im not 100% where to loop them do i take loops near the firewall or by the switch thing?

would it be number 1 or number 2?

Cheers

[attachment=8670:attachment]

upgarage
3rd November 2006, 12:44 PM
there two heater hoses that go in to the firewall right
undo them and join them together so the hoses dont go through the firewall anymore

mrbigport
3rd November 2006, 02:15 PM
thanks heaps upgarage, ill get to it asap..

rthy
3rd November 2006, 09:16 PM
just be very carefull, its all too easy to break these thin brass pipes, perhaps it would be best to take the pipes off at the other end and buy a short peice of hose instead.

dori_86
4th November 2006, 12:19 AM
yeah did the same,

it was a right biatch to get the hose off the copper pipes in the fire wall

DRFTAE86
4th November 2006, 12:38 AM
Need a new heater core mate.
Try your local radiator place.... new cores are about $100-$140ish

rgeorgiou
4th November 2006, 01:22 AM
Got the hoses looped/blocked off, its working for now.. I'll head down and get a heater core asap.. also the right hose is starting to split pretty badly, have to get that sorted out..

Thanks for the help guys

(EDIT: SPose to log in and post as DRF786)

driftism
5th November 2006, 01:09 PM
go to u-pull it and get a second hand ke70 core... it's a direct replacement for an 86 core... as is the rest of the heater stuff

Cerby
7th November 2006, 10:47 PM
thank god you asked this question! I read the thread a while back and low and behold guess what happened to me today!!
Sprinter was running hot and when i had a look coolant was pissing out the chassis rails!! Pulled up the carpet and the underlay is sodden with coolant! oh well!
Now my question is where exactly is the heater core? I've pulled most of the bottom of the dash out and i'm discovering a lot of stuff! Even more dodgy wiring, a couple of loose wires that the auto electricain cut and left hanging!! I always wondered why the alarm didn't go of when the boot was opened even tho they assured me that it would! i found a cut wire that ran back to boot!
Also i found the big box thing thats for AC.
Okay so thats two questions. Where is the heater core? is it behind the central vent behind stereo?
And can i do away with the ac dehumitifier stuff?
Cheers
Cerby

DavisJD
8th November 2006, 10:06 AM
Yep your heater core is pretty much behind your AC/Heater control panels, above the stereo head unit.
You'll have to pull out all the condenser, and fans to get it out. As well as all the stereo and AC/heater contol stuff.

The heater core is about 30x20x5cm (rough idea) and will have 2 copper pipes going through the firewall.

If you dont want any air through your vents (including de-fogger) you can pull out the 3 largish black boxes boxes infront of the passenger and in the middle of the car under your dash.

However if you still want air flowing for your de-fogger and vents, but no AC, you can pull out the condenser in one of the boxes (from memory i think its the one closest to the passenger door). Hardly worth it though, the condenser only weighs a couple of kilos.

Cerby
8th November 2006, 03:41 PM
awesome exactly the info i needed!! +Rep points to DavisJD......Oh hang on this isn't toymods http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif
Ok two more questions.
1. does the heater core comeout without me removing the copper lines into the engine bay?
2. Is it possible to ?resolder? the old core?
Cheers
Cerby

mrbigport
9th November 2006, 07:02 AM
Im not sure about the copper lines.. but you can get it resoldered IF its pressure tested and the problem area is within reach of a solder, if not, you have to replace it.

Redwarf
9th November 2006, 10:36 AM
Ive had the wonderful joy of a leaky core 2 weeks ago, ringing around, $140ish was the avg. price new i found...and wasnt gonna pay that...

u-pull-it, found a ae71, pefect match, and 20min later i had a $15 replacement http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

mind you changing its a pain...but gettin it out of a wreck is easy http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

most rollas of that era have the same heater/core setup but the pipes in the engine bay have different angles...so u can probably use a ae82 one, if the pipes fit ok around engine...i found the right one so didnt have to try

DavisJD
9th November 2006, 03:23 PM
1. does the heater core comeout without me removing the copper lines into the engine bay?[/b]

The copper lines are connected to the heater core. So they come out with it.
Make sure u disconnect the hoses off it first though.

Cerby
9th November 2006, 06:15 PM
yeah i worked that out when i got it out lastnight! ok so now my car is in tiny bits and i've got an exam tomorrow which means my car wont be going til next week! I think i'm going to have to loop the hoses temporarily so i can drive it to work on monday! I didn't really want to cos i don't want to have to go through the trouble of moving hoses full of coolant later on! Oh well.
Cheers
Cerby