PDA

View Full Version : Shocks problems

breno
9th November 2006, 03:38 PM
Installed my new rear suspension this morning, it consists of 6kg rear springs and seirra short strokes, it is stiff as fuck, and it makes a knocking noise, not to sure what it is but im guessing its the shocks because i think they are pretty much on full extension.
When i jack it up the wheels only move about 5 or so mm in the guards. Is this normal or are my shocks too small?

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/119877.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/119878.jpg

RobertoX
9th November 2006, 05:21 PM
if when you jack it up they only go down 5mm then you only have 5mm of droop travel. It looks pretty low, have you chopped down your bump stops to suit? You could just be sitting on them.

what spring rate have you got in there?

Gilly
9th November 2006, 06:56 PM
sierra shocks are bullshit short. from memory AJPS 6kg are 205mm free height. i have used them before. you won't have much travel in your shocks, but that spring will suit them fine height wise. chop your bumpstops definately, like so there is only one knobby bit left. or remove them all together, sounds dodge but the springs are so stiff you'll never have the diff and body hit each other.

the noise could be the shocks "topping" out. if your shocks have enough thread run a second shock bush under the top mount (if you know what i mean!! one above the car body and 2 below) i did this on my old 70 but then got falcon springs and cut them to suit the shocks.

breno
9th November 2006, 10:59 PM
Yeah chopped bump stops to suit, i auctually think the shocks are bowing some how, not allowing the shocks to move, as its bullshit rough, i have to drive up my street at about 15-20k, but buggers me why they are bowing, ill have a better look tomarrow.

breno
10th November 2006, 05:27 PM
Yeah, put 2 bushes in each side today, didnt change a think cept for it being higher, i think these are just dodgy shocks which is damn annoying.

RobertoX
11th November 2006, 02:43 PM
if spacing your shocks down a bit makes your car higher then there is a problem, did you compress your springs to install them or something? Can you try a different shock to the sierra ones? like the HT monaro ones or something?

Gilly
11th November 2006, 02:51 PM
i agree, the extra bush shouldn't have raised the car, it should have compressed the shock more.

(making sure it wasn't fully extended)

breno
11th November 2006, 08:30 PM
Pretty sure ive figured out what the knocking noise is, something is not allowing the shock or spring to compress properly, and when it rebounds it his its full stroke, hence the noise.

Gilly
11th November 2006, 08:40 PM
springs may be too tall. 200mm free height from memory, held the spring captive and allowed enough travel as to stop shocks from topping out.

i think Lawson's springs are 205mm free height, mine may have settled though so they worked alright.

might have to "adjust" your springs

breno
11th November 2006, 08:52 PM
I orderd 205 springs, but recieved 220 free height, so yeah.
On side is fine, but for some reason the other still has the same proberly, i gotta find out what is stopping it compressing

RobertoX
11th November 2006, 10:47 PM
i have 205 here if you want them, but i had to make 220 to suit the fronts

Gilly
11th November 2006, 11:30 PM
yeah 220mm is too high for sierras, thats why they are holding the shocks on full extension, get the 205's.

RobertoX
11th November 2006, 11:37 PM
or longer shocks

Gilly
11th November 2006, 11:38 PM
^^ true

breno
12th November 2006, 12:32 AM
i have 205 here if you want them, but i had to make 220 to suit the fronts[/b]

You could of atleast told me you were sending me 220's.
I dont want to have to buy anouther set of shocks just because you made a mistake.
We will sort this out on msn.