PDA

View Full Version : ignition and fuel questions

keiichi
10th November 2006, 07:03 PM
firstly... if there is white stuff on the metel bits inside the dizzy cap does that meen i need a new one or can i just sand the stuff off?
theres a trick i can do to make the car run richer but when i do it goes slower. if i were to upgrade the ignition system would i get more power out of it? if so what things would i need to do?
all help appretiated thanx http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

riceburner
10th November 2006, 09:33 PM
Just scrap the white stuff off, dont go in there like a bat out of hell with a chisel, just a gentle scrap with a flat blade screwdriver and maybe a little sand paper. Wouldnt hurt to lightly sand the rota button as well. The best you may get out of doing this is a smoother running motor.

As for the rest of your question.

Nothing you do to the standard equipement will get you more power, you may regain loss power but not gain. Actually you may gain 1-5hp with higher octane fuel, advancing you timing and an exhaust upgrade but thats about it.

If you want more power, search for cams and a ecu package. New thinner head gasket to up the compression a little.

keiichi
10th November 2006, 10:47 PM
ok cool thanx.

about the buttons inside the dizzy cap, i think theyre actually got about a quarter of a mil worn away, would it be time for a new one or what? how often should you change your spark plug leads.
about the richer running, what if i ran it richer and used some sort of spark plug upgrade? this is on a 22re corona engine (EFI) not a 4age.

86sp
10th November 2006, 10:58 PM
More fuel wont make it go faster, it will just make your wallet lighter. A free low power gain would be to use better fuel and advance the timing a bit, but its still gona be hardly noticeable.

riceburner
11th November 2006, 08:04 AM
Leads should last at least 2-3yrs, depends on quality really. Speaking of which im due for a change soon.

You would only need to change the dizzy cap and rota button if you having problems with them. Like rough/lumpy running, hard to start etc etc

Only make your fuel mix richer if for some reason it is low.

dustyae86
11th November 2006, 08:19 AM
Leads should last at least 2-3yrs, depends on quality really. Speaking of which im due for a change soon.

You would only need to change the dizzy cap and rota button if you having problems with them. Like rough/lumpy running, hard to start etc etc

Only make your fuel mix richer if for some reason it is low.[/b]

and if your an amatuer make sure you get the rotor button in exactly the right spot and dont knock it or else u will throw ur timing out and it wont start

keiichi
11th November 2006, 09:16 AM
is there something that it slides onto so you cant get it on the wrong place?

keiichi
11th November 2006, 09:19 AM
is there any reason whatsoever to use platinum or iridium spark plugs? is there such thing as high performance leads? is there such a thing as upgrading your ignition system? at what point is there a point in doing so?

dustyae86
11th November 2006, 10:18 AM
is there any reason whatsoever to use platinum or iridium spark plugs? is there such thing as high performance leads? is there such a thing as upgrading your ignition system? at what point is there a point in doing so?[/b]

platinum and iridium plugs last longer than standard plugs 100thou compared to 40 thou and they supposedly provide a better spark high performance leads... you probably wont notice a difference unless your car is highly modified... generally when you need to upgrade your ignition system is when there is so much of everything else that the spark cant burn it all up properly or i have heard of the spark getting blown out on highly boosted motors..... with the rotor button it will only go on one way but if you spin the part that goes into th motor which is pretty easy to do it will throw it out

keiichi
11th November 2006, 11:54 AM
i see. i might just get a new dizzy cap i think. oh and... is the cap meant to have a six hole in it for breathing or something or is there meant to be a pipe going to it?

riceburner
11th November 2006, 06:27 PM
with the rotor button it will only go on one way but if you spin the part that goes into th motor which is pretty easy to do it will throw it out[/b]

So your saying you can easily turn the motor over whilst removing and/or installing the rota cap, hahahhahahaha you crack me up.

The rota button is connected to the dizzy shaft which is connected to the exhaust cam which is connected to the timing belt etc etc, 1 in a million you will move the dizzy out of alignment whilst taking off or installing your rota cap.

The worst that could happen is you throu it off a couple of degree's. But like i said 1 in a million.

riceburner
11th November 2006, 06:31 PM
High performance leads only really unsure less voltage drop between source (dizzy or coils.etc) and destination(plugs) as well as extended life. Performance gain is pretty much by the seat of your pants, It will only regain lost performance.