View Full Version : Polishin intake manifold

Orange hachi
10th November 2006, 10:12 PM
hey guys. im thinkin of polishin my intake manifold
has any1 got this done before?
if so where and how much was it?

Dish
10th November 2006, 10:22 PM
I got some steel wool onto mine and it came up pretty good. I had to use this really shite stuff though. So I'm yet to get some more. Give that a whirl before you take it to someone else to do it. Just get some steel wool and water and screw round with it for 15 minutes, you'll notice the difference.

Orange hachi
10th November 2006, 10:36 PM
lol i have kinda tried on my old small port intake but it didn't turn out that good
it takes so long to do it

DRFT - 86
12th November 2006, 03:46 AM
wire brush on a drill gets em shiny... prob not as shiny as you would want though.......

balistic
12th November 2006, 10:34 AM
Its quite easy to do but takes a lot of time and sore fingers! Personally I would start with some medium grade sandpaper to start smoothing over any rough bits, use a file to clean up any sharp edges or daggy bits, cast lines etc. Then move to finer sandpaper until you get down to very fine wet/dry. Then get some Autosol or another brand of metal polish, a bunch of wrags and start polishing!!

I've polished a few cast alloy parts this way and they come up pretty well. The more effort and time you put into it the better the result.

parkerlewis
12th November 2006, 01:58 PM
Highlife said it........wet/dry black sandpaper in various grits, then either autosol or get a polishing compound kit from bunnings, and get busy. Quicker but you'll have to fork $25 for the kit. Don't be a slack-ass! do it yourself!

parkerlewis
12th November 2006, 02:00 PM
PS^^^^that is an attachment for a drill, so don't buy it if you don't have a drill! or get a XU1 cord hammer drill for about 15 bucks while you're at it.....and get a sausage in bread too.

Orange hachi
12th November 2006, 07:32 PM
Its quite easy to do but takes a lot of time and sore fingers! Personally I would start with some medium grade sandpaper to start smoothing over any rough bits, use a file to clean up any sharp edges or daggy bits, cast lines etc. Then move to finer sandpaper until you get down to very fine wet/dry. Then get some Autosol or another brand of metal polish, a bunch of wrags and start polishing!!

I've polished a few cast alloy parts this way and they come up pretty well. The more effort and time you put into it the better the result.[/b]
oh ok thanks pplz
i will b doin it when i have some time off from work
do u think i should a orbital sander?
or should i hand sand it?
cheers shell

balistic
13th November 2006, 09:22 AM
Hand sanding is better for intricate bits where you need to get in and around curves etc. Large flat areas you could probably use an orbital sander but I think hand sanding is better.

Julz01
13th November 2006, 11:12 AM
Yea as highlife said use wet and dry and work your way down, also once you have done a fair bit of sanding wash the surface and use some metal polish on it , like autosole or the mx meguires stuff. It works a treat and will polish up nicly. I polished the outer lips of my second set of wheels and they have come up pretty good with this method.

only thing will polishing it is that you need to keep polishing the surface with the metal polish to keep it nice and clean

Orange hachi
13th November 2006, 07:04 PM
Yea as highlife said use wet and dry and work your way down, also once you have done a fair bit of sanding wash the surface and use some metal polish on it , like autosole or the mx meguires stuff. It works a treat and will polish up nicly. I polished the outer lips of my second set of wheels and they have come up pretty good with this method.

only thing will polishing it is that you need to keep polishing the surface with the metal polish to keep it nice and clean[/b]

yeah i dun mind having to keep polishing them.
sounds good. i will give it a try in a couple of weeks time

RobertoX
13th November 2006, 07:33 PM
save your time and money and buy quads

Orange hachi
13th November 2006, 08:55 PM
save your time and money and buy quads[/b]
hehe nah quads not for me
im into turbo kick