PDA

View Full Version : Rear Drum Leaking Fluid

James86
11th November 2006, 09:55 PM
Hey guys,

pretty simple question, i hope to get a simple answer. may be bit of a noob question but i cant be fucked goin to a workshop so they can tell me bullshit, ill ask here first http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

anyway, back left hand side drum is leaking brake fluid, obviously brake light is on and it goes out after being topped up. however it just drains away after a day or so anyway. Found the patch of fluid on my driveway after i hadnt driven it for a few days.

any ideas why its doing this and what needs to be done/bought to fix. Rear drums wont lock up with handbrake and im sick of washing fluid out of my driveway, and yeah little noisey under hard braking.

i realise there could be a number of problems causing this and you'd prob need to have a look before a def answer can be made.....but based on this info any ideas?

any help appreciated, cheers

EDIT-Car is obviously AE86

riceburner
11th November 2006, 10:22 PM
Well yo could assume all your weird noises and no tlocking up has everytihgn to do with your leak.

I would start with a worn out master cylinder/wheel cylinder.

I would jack the car up, take the wheel and drum off and have full brake fluid and get someone to press the brake.

The leak will be clearly visable then.

Its also quit possible the rubber hose attached to the diff is buggered.

But either way get the wheel off and have a look.

James86
11th November 2006, 11:02 PM
yea thought it might be cylinder, are these hard to get or expensive?

Gilly
11th November 2006, 11:09 PM
wheel cylinders PBR $30 a pair get new shoes as well as with that much fluid leaking the Left hand shoes will be shagged. when the new shoes get done they will adjust them correctly so your handbrake will work as it sounds like it needs adjustment. spend the money get it done properly, you need brakes.

James86
11th November 2006, 11:20 PM
too easy, sounds pretty simple and cheap.

cheers

DRFT - 86
12th November 2006, 03:38 AM
yeh I had this same problem also......... but I just through a whole new diff in as it needed replacing anyhow... plus its now got a locker in.. muhaha

keiichi
12th November 2006, 10:36 AM
firstly replace your brake cylender in the drum

ke70dave
12th November 2006, 11:18 AM
i just got new rear cylinders for the ke70, i got stainless steel sheathed ones, cost be about 80$ for both rears, a bit more exi, but at least ill know they will never leek!