PDA

View Full Version : 100kW 4AGE ecu

Cerby
11th November 2006, 11:10 PM
Okay the other day the heater core in my car blew! So i figured that while i had the dash pulled aprt i would clean up the shitty wiring in my car! An afternoon later and it's looking heaps better!
However when i put the positive termianl back on the battery and turned the ignition on to check the new bulbs i put in the dash my fuel pump doesn't start up!
So i turned everything off and started checking.. about two seconds later i realised that i hadn't hooked the negative back on to the ecu! Reattached it and an dtried again still nothing. no fuel pumps and the solenoid clicks but the engine doesn't turn over!
I've got a few other things that i haven't checked yet but i thought that i would ask if power going into the ecu with no negative would blow it or would no current run at all??
Any help would be great!
Cheers
Cerby

riceburner
12th November 2006, 01:22 PM
Even if you buggered the ecu(i wouldnt think so) the starter would still turn.

I would look at that first.

Possible the earth lead has shorted a simple fuse somewhere. Probably start with the fuses in the engine bay, make sure you check the 2 near the + terminal.

You would be surprised how many folk dont check them

Cerby
12th November 2006, 09:03 PM
wow finally got back from my twelve hour shift and i can go out and have a look see what the problem is!! I've been thinking about it and i'm going to lay my bet on a dirty positive terminal!! Anyway so i've got to at least have it running with seats, stereo and steering whell back in by tuesday morning cos i'm going on a mission to go camping for one night with my girlfriend!!
Anyways i will update when i've worked it out! If i can't fix i'll just let dad loose on it! He's an electrician but if i let him near the car he will fix one problem and find about ten more so thats a last resort http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif
Cheers
Cerby

DRFTPG
13th November 2006, 05:44 PM
check fuses first

Cerby
13th November 2006, 06:29 PM
Okay i have the answers!!
It turns out that it was a couple of things causing the problems! First i had a dirty positive terminal which i hadn't done done up tight enough. So i was getting enough current to run lights etc but not turn over engine!
And the reason why the fuel pumps weren't turning on was becuase i hadn't connected one random little negative lead near the center console!
So with those things fixed i decided that since it was 1am i could go to bed.
Now today all i've got to do is fill the radiator with fluid and clean up the interior!
Okay so i went and got some demineralised water and the guy told me that my system capacity should be between 4L and 6.5L so i come home armed with 7L of demineralised water.
I already had a bottle of nulon ultra cool to put in so away i go put in about 1.9L of the water and the radiator is full!!!!! So I go to look in my service manual to see what the capacity really is and it's not in there!
So whats the go do i just fill it up, run the engine to move the coolant around and then top it off again??
I mean the coolant capacity should be a bit less cos i've looped the hoses at the back of the motor so theres no heater core but it just seems like it's a bit short of the figure i was told!
Cheers
Cerby

riceburner
13th November 2006, 06:56 PM
Was the motor running while you were pour all that stuff in.

Just top it up, put the car ona a lean so the front is upwards and idle motor for 3-5mins.

Remove cap, yes it will be hot. And refill. Make sure you have coolant in the overflow bottle as well.

Hen is a total nutcase
14th November 2006, 12:24 PM
Just leave the radiator cap off while idling it on a slope. Let it warm up until the thermostat opens (usually this causes a bunch of air bubbles to bubble up into the radiator suddenly, or just let it run until the dash temp gauge is up to where it usually sits) then top it up and fit the cap.

Hen