PDA

View Full Version : silvertop airbox not fitting

D0R186
22nd November 2006, 09:33 AM
hi all,

the lower part of the 20v silvertop airbox isnt fitting in my ae85 engine bay, its hitting against the brake booster unit-the round bit on the firewall... any ideas on how to make it fit or has anyone fitted theres???

thanks in advance
hayden

psychofox
22nd November 2006, 09:59 AM
It won't ever fit without modifying it. It actually hits on the clutch master, not the booster. You can just run socks over the plastic trumpets without the "airbox" a'la my avatar.

D0R186
22nd November 2006, 10:34 AM
hmm ok, its silvertop which is afm sensored so need the airbox to fit

if i were to use blacktop loom and ecu would i be able to run just open throttles as it is map sensored?, how hard is it to wire in compared to silvertop loom/ecu?

rthy
22nd November 2006, 12:23 PM
make a custom airbox?

Gilly
22nd November 2006, 12:31 PM
yeah custom airbox.

i had this problem in my old 20v AE86, as all the tech info i got was from, an american site (left hand drive) where the stock airboxes fit with little mods.

Kaizen Garage do an airbox, in saying that its not overly hard to design your own, just make sure they are the same or close to the same volume.

psychofox
22nd November 2006, 01:30 PM
If you're going to modify the stock airbox, get a new one made up don't bother. Don't waste your money on running the stock ecu (either silver or blacktop). Sell the stock ECU and loom and get an Aftermarket ECU - you'll be much better off in the long run. Then you can run trumpets or an airbox or whatever you want.

Gilly
22nd November 2006, 02:29 PM
^^^ that is true, aftermarket management on a 20v is a very good idea. my budget didn't allow for it though so an airbox had to be made, still went well.

Monk
22nd November 2006, 03:21 PM
I just modified my Stock Airbox. It aint that hard to do.
as for engine management. I for an aftermarket ECU in the sale section for sale that is perfect for this.
And its nto much mroe expensive then the stock ECU

D0R186
22nd November 2006, 04:29 PM
yeah i dont have much money for a aftermarket ecu, a black top loom and ecu is for sale here in nz for $50nzd is that cheap compared to aus, may bgo with that or modify factory airbox..dont really want to make a custom one

thanks for the help so far

ae86 slide
22nd November 2006, 06:24 PM
my stock air box was modified to fit and i wont be needing it any more,
you want? you can have for $100

rthy
22nd November 2006, 07:01 PM
whatever you do must some trumpets or else your power will suffer. Once my webspace is back up I post a pic of mine

have a look at takai's box also

D0R186
22nd November 2006, 07:08 PM
ae86 slide: thanks ill let you know, im in nz though so postage is a bitch, will try modify the box would you be able to take a pic of what you did pleeeasee http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif