PDA

View Full Version : Another mystery JDM loom plug

parrot
23rd November 2006, 04:11 PM
Alright, while everyone is getting excited over plugs, I have one on my JDM under dash loom I can't identify, and I have got lots of resources at home to suss it out.

It has a large pink with blue trace wire and a large black with yellow trace wire.

It sits just above the drivers footwell junction box.

Does anyone know before I start pulling apart the loom![attachment=9317:attachment]

Gilly
23rd November 2006, 05:08 PM
no idea!!!! does everything in the car function correctly?

do you need to know what its for? http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

riceburner
23rd November 2006, 08:54 PM
That looks to be sum pretty heavy gauge wire

parrot
24th November 2006, 12:40 PM
Don't know if it functions yet. Have pulled out the old modified ADM loom and am replacing it with an all JDM loom. Doing lots of other things too so it is taking a longtime as I work around family stuff.

This plug is in the underdash JDM loom. I am very hopeful that it has something to do with foglights, perhaps there is a bit of option loom that plugs in here if you ordered foglights?

The car is in a thousand pieces at the moment so it is easier to play with things. I am curious to know what it is for. I feel sure the car will run and that it is for some sort of accessory, i.e. foglights, or cruise control or something. The wires are heavy guage and clearly part of the original loom and not added in. Have tried to track them through the loom without success and may have to randomly hit it with the multimeter. Would have expected the other end of the pink/blue heavy guage wire to stand out like dogs balls, but couldn't find it so must be in a junctuion box somewhere.

Was hoping someone with a JDM car may be able to identify them.

parrot
24th November 2006, 01:14 PM
Additionally the loom has come from a Jap Levin and not a Trueno so it isn't related to headlight motors or anything like that.

And of course I need to know what it's for! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

rthy
24th November 2006, 01:35 PM
i think there was wire diagrams on club4ag for the whole ae86 (jdm)

parrot
24th November 2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks Rthy, I shall have a look again.

I have the EWD's for Euro & Aus but it was published in 1983 and minimal options then, plus the USDM which I think is 1986 but they are wildy different to JDM.

ozsprintz
25th November 2006, 01:53 AM
had a look at my manual and by the looks of the wire id say that the black yellow is connected to the ignition and the pink blue is for an accesory of some sort fond only one pink wire in the diagrams and it was for a washer valve . is it pink blue if so it might be a diff story i will look. this is interesting i want to know what it is for now. why did you have to post this hahaha

parrot
25th November 2006, 01:10 PM
Club4ag only have the ECU pinouts

mikewestphoto
26th November 2006, 01:24 AM
Pink/Blue is clock/cig lighter. My clock doesn't work so I'm familiar with that wire but not why my isn't providing it power. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

Black/Yellow looks to go to alternator/regulator but the wire looks more like Black/Orange.

Other that that I don't know the specific function of the plug. If it's P/B and B/O it sounds like something that works in acc and ign.

parrot
27th November 2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks Ken, it is black/yellow, not black /orange. But you are right regarding it being to do with the acc and ign.

Traced them back with the multimeter and the black/yellow is part if the Ign1 circuit. The pink/blue is more interesting. It is spliced into the blue/red which is the Acc wire. This splicing has been done in the manner that the factory does it and taped factory so definitely not aftermarket. Both wires supplying the plug I am interested in are the same size as the wires from the ignition (i.e. big).

Both parent wires feed the various fuses so presumably the plug feeds an accessory of some sort. Possibilities include foglights, power windows or cruise control? Can't think of anything else likely. Not power mirrors as that circuit is there as well and already identified.

Anyone?

Ozdunker
29th December 2006, 09:21 PM
hey

There is a speed sensor that dings when you go over 105kph in the Levin - that plugs into something, although i dont remember what it looks like. However it would be hanging around that general area.

Dean

Jonny Rochester
30th December 2006, 12:10 AM
I would recon the Levin and Trueno loom would be the same. If the Trueno needs a extra wire for the lights or something, I would expect the Levin has the same loom, just with no use for the extra wire.

Big T
30th December 2006, 01:14 AM
Could it be for climate control? Some upper-spec JDMs came with full climate control. Do you know what year model/spec the loom came from?

Eddie.

parrot
30th December 2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks Jonny / Eddie. I strongly suspect either of you could be right. Unfortunately don't know the year, only that it must be a Levin loom as headlight loom section has no plugs for retractors. Going to look at a car with a JDM loom in place tomorrow with the same unknown plug but also the foglight circuit, to trace with a multimeter and see what goes where. At very least will be able to (hopefully) determine the factory foglight wiring.

riceburner
31st December 2006, 07:20 AM
I hate to throw another spanner in the works here parrot but, and i only say this incase you didnt realise but JDM EFI models had a exhaust temp warning light on the cluster, with the sendor being near the cat, before or after it i cant quit remember.

But those black/yellow pink wires are pretty thick, i would thick they carry some high amps. Maybe they are related to a relay for high beam or something.

parrot
31st December 2006, 11:28 PM
No they have nothing to do with the cat temp sensor. The JDM loom car I looked at today also had the same plug/wires, taped up out of the way high above junction box 1, still none the wiser but I am inclined towards something to do with lights or maybe electric engine fans or something.

Jonny Rochester
1st January 2007, 11:33 AM
RWD Toyotas generaly don't have electric fans, and the AE86 certainly didn't.

parrot
1st January 2007, 11:54 AM
RWD Toyotas generaly don't have electric fans, and the AE86 certainly didn't.[/b]

No there were some, I believe some auto's had them, and perhaps others?

rthy
1st January 2007, 12:50 PM
must be some aftermarket ones

parrot
2nd January 2007, 12:47 AM
Not so sure about that. I am sure I have seen an AE86 radiator somewhere with a temp sender in the bottom tank. Have a look inside the junction box in the engine bay. At the front there are two blanked off plugs. On the JB it says FL 30A which is obviously a fusible link. The blanked off plug next to it says FAN No.1. Underneath is another blanking plate to a loom connection.

[attachment=10495:attachment]

Take the blanking plates and the condom out and you get this, which just happens to take an M3 relay that is used in a variety of Toyotas as a fan relay.

[attachment=10496:attachment]

voila!

[attachment=10497:attachment]

BUT all the JB's I have except one don't actually have the pins inside the plug.

All very interesting but would still need to decipher the pins underneath which may not be too hard.

Jonny Rochester
2nd January 2007, 10:16 AM
Fans:
Every AE86 has a mechanical fan with a viscous clutch off the water pump. Even up till current models, this is generally how Toyota provides a fan on vehicles with a north-south motor. Even new HiLux, HiAce, Landcruiser V8, probably even IS200. Almost every FWD car has a electric fan as we know, with exception of the VDV10 Camry Vienta which has a fan driven by auto trans oil.

Extra cooling for A/C:
I have fitted lots of A/C kits on new Toyotas. Generally, on a FWD car a extra electric fan is fitted, plus a rubber seal under the front of the bonnet. For extra cooling on a RWD vehicle, (HiLux for example), a fan shroud extension is fitted, the rubber seal under the front of the bonnet is fitted, foam is placed in lots of locations all around the radiator. So air is directed through the radiator and can not escape around it so much. I can't remember a RWD vehicle where a electric radiator fan is fitted.

Our AE86's are the same with A/C. You will see foam between the rad and the suport pannel, rubber seal under the front of the bonnet, and maybe foam under the rad. It's all part of the A/C kit, but no electric fan.

AE86 repair manual:
Looking at wiring diagrams, there is a thermo switch on automatic vehicles. I assume this would be in the bottom of the radiator, which is also the trans cooler. The switch operates the O/D relay. (Won't go into overdrive unless its up to temp).

Mystery plug:
I would like to think the wires are White with Black trace, and Black with Yellow trace. (I don't see pink listed much in my diagrams.) White with Black (W-B ) is always ground. Black with Yellow (B-Y ) is always ignition. (These wires are that thick size also). So your plug is just a handy power plug, and could be used for any accessory. I am guessing some aftermaret kits in Japan made use of that plug.

But I don't know why the JB says Fan. My wiring diagram is basic and does not show plugs or locations.

mattysshop
2nd January 2007, 04:35 PM
that plug is forthe Flux Capacitor...

(old joke but it's good value..)

mattysshop
2nd January 2007, 04:37 PM
something thats actually useful - the speed chime is a 2 pin plug behind the ash tray in JDM models, off memory it was a blue with a red tracer, and black BUT i could be waaaaayyy off with the colours..

Jonny Rochester
2nd January 2007, 08:05 PM
I have found I also have a random plug similar to your first picture, on my ADM Sprinter. Only my plug is one wire only, and the wire is blue with red bits on it. The plug is taped back to the harness with white tape, which means it was not used, but is ment for a accessory. I can confirm it is just a ignition wire.

So I am more confident now, to say your plug is just a power plug also. A multimeter will check that quickly.

I want to use my Aussie loom, and add the odd wire to use the factory EFI relay position. Does the JDM loom have 3 circuit breakers at the battery?

parrot
2nd January 2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the detailed and informed response Jonny. Suppose we shall just have to add it to those strange things Toyota seems to do sometimes.

The mystery plug wire colours are as described and are the same on another JDM loom I saw on the weekend, and it is clearly a power supply for something. I am hoping to soon have a set of detailed wiring diagrams from the late 1985 on cars 9in Japanese) so will try and see if there is anything there.

As for fusible links at the battery, there are only two, a 30A and an 80A