PDA

View Full Version : turbo vs super charger

stefan
24th November 2006, 03:01 PM
hi im running a 4agze with stock boost would love more boost

what would be my option performance vs reliablity

i was thinking iof converting to turbo set up

or where could i pick up a new pulley set? would want to run 11psi from my blower!

any help would be great

chat soon dan

LordNafe
24th November 2006, 03:24 PM
GTRS ftw.

stefan
24th November 2006, 03:36 PM
GTRS?

what about new pulley system?

JDMJNKY
24th November 2006, 06:08 PM
nevo pulley kit works good.......... for a while till blower dies.

AmyC
24th November 2006, 06:39 PM
Whats the most a sc12 can handle and still last ?

crazyGTrider
24th November 2006, 07:32 PM
From what I have heard is that the supercharger rotors are teflon coated and this can apparently melt above 12psi

But this is only what I have heard.

Wally
24th November 2006, 07:49 PM
From what I have heard is that the supercharger rotors are teflon coated and this can apparently melt above 12psi

But this is only what I have heard.[/b]
ouch thats gotta hurt http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tdn.gif

stefan
25th November 2006, 06:41 PM
so 10 psi would be a safe running boost?

mmm bigger inter cooler and more oil changer more often!

its worth it for extra powa!!!!!!!!1

NickAE86
25th November 2006, 08:02 PM
if you wanna stick with a blower you can upgrade to an sc14...but for the cost you can also get a decent turbo setup

gtrs is ok but too big for a 1.6 imo...something with a bit more punch like a gt2510/30 would be the go

first turbo i had was from a gtx familia...not exactly huge but the response was phenominal

Jason
25th November 2006, 08:09 PM
how much dose a turbo upgrade cost?

becuse all that the sc14 upgrade cost was the blower (you can sell the sc12 for a price) and some time making up some brackets. + Intercooler and some pipe work

Jason plugs megasquirt so easy to use << lol alchol

slide86
25th November 2006, 09:44 PM
mate has ae92 with 13psi sc12.

has been running that for 2 years with no problems at all.

stefan
26th November 2006, 12:16 AM
mmm so pulley system what $$$ would i be looking at to change boost

DavisJD
26th November 2006, 09:24 AM
Nevo pulley kit goes for over $500 i think. do a google search to find there website

Do a search, you can use some gear from a falcon to up your boost on a budget.

From what ive researched (did alot of searching a while back), you should fairly safely be able to run up to 14psi through your SC12 for a long time. above that, your superchargers days are numbered as it will melt!

You'll want a decent intercooler setup if your running extra boost through the supercharger.

MARKE70
26th November 2006, 10:08 AM
would a cooler off a VR4 galant be OK for say 12PSI????

But anyway why does everyone want more power, with good suspension you don't need it, i can go through the dipper and do turn 4 and 5 in 3rd gear smokin 7's with a stocko ae92 gze

LordNafe
26th November 2006, 05:47 PM
Yeah, upgrading pulleys will work well, but a GTRS with 14psi will go faster adn make more power! Sure, it'll be a bit laggy, but would come on boost earlier than the 2530... ANd would pull *hard* when it hits!
Lag isn't necessarily bad, ever driven an atmo 4age? At least with a laggy turbo, it will still eventually make power!!

86sp
27th November 2006, 09:06 AM
GTRS is the go. Everyone says they're laggy but obviously never driven/seen one go.. Getting my clutch in a couple of weeks so I can show you how it goes if your keen. Also the chargers dont melt at 12psi, they can go easily up to 16psi and last a while.

mattysshop
27th November 2006, 01:19 PM
GT28R is on my mate 3SGTE.. makes boost at 1600rpm.. it's only like 1psi.. but still !!! (makes 300fwhp on 1 bar) and Brisbane Tuning & Turbo run a 4G63 with the same turbo, Extreme engineering (Craig) did all the fabrication work, in a british racing green MX5.. runs 20psi and makes around the 370rwhp mark.. lag is non existant..

again both these cars have well thought out turbo manifolds, and intercooler piping sizes etc are quite impotant.. Craig did the fabrication for both these cars as with many others... and always had the results to prove the work...

if your doing anything with boosted motors somtimes bigger isn't better.. and some planning does not go astray..

also with the GZE.. what type of GZE is it?? early or late? AFM/MAP?

my MAP AE92 (8.9 CR) GZE in the 86 used to make 10.44psi just by bypassing the ABV so it wouldn't bleed off..

DRFT - 86
27th November 2006, 04:24 PM
GTRS is the go. Everyone says they're laggy but obviously never driven/seen one go.. Getting my clutch in a couple of weeks so I can show you how it goes if your keen. Also the chargers dont melt at 12psi, they can go easily up to 16psi and last a while.[/b]

man you know Im keen.............. bring that sucker round one day n take me for a spin........ http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif
I wont give your wheels back untill you do .... http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

NickAE86
27th November 2006, 07:40 PM
fwiw my gtrs produces 220rwhp on 10psi...still using one of craigs manifolds but i ditched his cooler for a larger item. have got a haltech e11 & 7mgte injectors going in shortly so im looking forward to be able to get some decent maps happening. Yeah sure its a nice turbo but a 2510 has more response for my liking...im not in it for a land speed record

each to their own http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

PuGZoR
29th November 2006, 08:59 AM
I'm going to be using a KKR330 on mine. Yeah, not exactly the latest turbo tech, lol, but it's cheap and should make some sweet power and still keep response pretty good. If you can fork out for a GT28xx/GTRS, I would. Great turbo's. That's the way I'll be going when the KKR starts dying, or I get some money to upgrade, or if something cheap comes my way, lol.

stefan
29th November 2006, 10:37 AM
ive got my gze from a aw 11 what would that have AFM/MAP

um what would i need to change pyulley system what falcon parts etc

mattysshop
29th November 2006, 10:52 AM
would be the afm.. low 8.0 CR version.. IMO the 8.9 bottom end is well worth the investment.. 8.9 is still low for boost, but not too low for shitty off boost response..