PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump for 20v?

HYPNTK
6th December 2006, 06:57 PM
hey guys...another question about my 20v conversion...i can get a fuel pump out of my mates smashed VL for free...is this an easy upgrade for the 20v? And also i'm assuming i will need new fuel lines etc...what size should i use for the silvertop 20v?

or even if you have any ideas as to a mad fuel setup i.e. surge tank and lifter pump etc. i would like to hear it or even pics if available

Cheers,
Nasso

rthy
6th December 2006, 07:17 PM
I have some pics in my worklog:

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?s...=9903&st=60 (http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9903&st=60)

a VL should work real well

Brenton 86
6th December 2006, 07:23 PM
use bosch 910 or 070 aka 'vl turbo fuel pump' and 8mm efi line. Plenty of info already out their.

Oly AE86
6th December 2006, 10:33 PM
I have a "Goss" Lifter pump feeding a small surge tank just above the diff, then a VL turbo High Pressure pump feeding the front. The lifter pump is mounted behind the drivers side rear wheel guard.

The Goss lifter was about $150 from Local Coventry auto parts, it was the more expensive of the 2 they had, but it can be mounted up to 450mm above the fuel tank.

I still have original ADM lines which seem to be coping, but if I get cams or go turbs I will be upgrading the main line and using the current feeder for a return.

I thought my VL pump was failing, so I recently got a Bosch 910 from eBay, cost me about $180 incl fittings. Turns out it was just my old "Carter" lifter pump that was the problem and so now the 910 is not required.

The Bosch 910 is one size up from the 070, and is rated to 450hp which is heaps for just about any Sprinter. PM me if you need a HP pump.

Cheers

Oly

Hen is a total nutcase
7th December 2006, 10:55 AM
VL pump will be fine. Especially if it is free.

And I'll repeat: YOU WILL NOT NEED TO UPGRADE FUEL LINES. Unless you're bolting a silly turbo off the side.

Stock lines have seen me pushing 110rwkw no problems.

Take a look at the FAQ on toymods if you want to know how to setup a fuel system with surge tank.

Hen

HYPNTK
7th December 2006, 05:14 PM
thanks for the info guys...its very helpful...when i said VL pump i meant a non-turbo...this is still more than adequate for an NA 20v isn't it?

Monk
7th December 2006, 05:33 PM
run 2 pumps.. both external
one from tank to surge tank
then after surge tank to engine.

best setup im my opinion

HYPNTK
7th December 2006, 06:40 PM
can you buy surge tanks ready made?

Monk
7th December 2006, 10:00 PM
yes. but depends where you want them to go.
as to what size you want

dirty_86
7th December 2006, 11:52 PM
for lift pump i recomend FUEL FLO .. me and DRF786 use it runs fine!

Hen is a total nutcase
8th December 2006, 10:28 AM
VL-T/VL/JE?? Camira pumps now share a part #. (Apparently in the old days they didn't, but now if you buy a replacement pump they give you the same unit for all 3 models).

So they'll be fine.

Plenty of places sell surge tanks. I got a 0.7L underfloor one from Speed technology for $90 (3 and a half years ago). Nowadays I'd make it myself.

Hen

spoon
8th December 2006, 03:06 PM
i have a mate at work running at least a 350+ hp v8 with a standard vl fuel pump - so you really should never have to go bigger - btw vl pump works fine on my 20v!

HYPNTK
8th December 2006, 06:10 PM
mad, i have to grab that pump! its free! (prolly doesn't cost much to buy new or from wreckers but everyone knows how good it is to get shit for free hehe)