PDA

View Full Version : rear suspension

starni_boy
28th December 2006, 03:25 PM
hey people,

just wondering what rear suspension people are running in their huchis. looking to upgrade my rear suspension pretty soon in my ke70 and want some pretty stiff suspension. and what ride height is your rear suspension??

cheers http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

rthy
28th December 2006, 03:28 PM
what do you want to use your car for? I recommend driving other peoples cars to see what you can handle in spring rates

starni_boy
28th December 2006, 03:43 PM
a bit of national park driving http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif daily driver and will prob hit the track with it aswell. i just want to know what is fairly stiff and good for fun on thr track.

deanoo
28th December 2006, 08:10 PM
get rear short stroke adjustable shocks with 6kg springs... that should do it

LordNafe
29th December 2006, 12:16 AM
Unless you're really serious, you won't need adjustables. They are good, but *alot* more $$ than stiffer shorter non adjsutables. For example, adjsutable AGX's, short stroke, around about $340 a pair? Short stroke non adjsutables i run in my car - $120 a pair.
Not as good as adjsutables, but shorter and muchs tiffer than the stockies.
The rear of a live axle drift car really isn't overly important. As long as it spins both wheels and is stiff, it's usually fine. CHopped falcon springs will usually be fine.

Jonny Rochester
29th December 2006, 10:04 AM
My setup, which is the cheapest and simplest by far:

Custom King springs up back, to suit AE86, a bit lower and 4 or 5kg/mm.

Monroe shocks to suit XT130 Corona. These have perfect dimensions for short stroke and they fit right. They hold the springs captive.

But really, you may want to spend more money on the shocks.

The next step is a panhard rod with ball joints. Or at least polyurathane bushes everywhere. Don't bother with polyurathane bushes on the main 4 links unless they are already cracked. Its too hard to change.

hahaboy
30th December 2006, 06:27 AM
just mod the rear s13 or s14 coilover to ke70 rear. i'm doing now

RobertoX
30th December 2006, 09:39 AM
The next step is a panhard rod with ball joints. Or at least polyurathane bushes everywhere. Don't bother with polyurathane bushes on the main 4 links unless they are already cracked. Its too hard to change.[/b]

Have at least 1 end of the panhard bushed unless you brace the chassis side mount a bit as these can bend

Also replacing the bushings in the 4 trailing arms is quite easy and well worth it IMO. Took about 1.2 - 2 hrs

Gilly
30th December 2006, 10:39 AM
just mod the rear s13 or s14 coilover to ke70 rear. i'm doing now[/b]

not exactly a cost effective option, significant modifications need to be made to fit S13 coilovers to the rear of a an AE86, KE70, AE71. due to the different mounting surface on the s13 stuff. only ever seen it done in one ke70 and it had a lot of metal removed and new plates etc welded in for reinforcement. like i said not really a "budget" option, unless you have the necessary fabrcation skills.

S14 coilovers are different again in the mounting point, but still IMO wouldn't suit the rear of an 86/70/71. they place all the pressure on the shock mout point, whereas proper 86 coilovers use a ring sectio further down to spread the load. IMO s14 stuff would punch right through in a matter of kilometres.

i would persoanlly get adjustable shocks but if you are on a budget than the above mentioned would suffice, just aim for short stroke, just easier when springs are held captive.

rear spring rate between 4 and 6kg is good. spring branding isn't essential just aim for the right rate.

front end is different, thats where your money should be spent!!!!

Brenton 86
30th December 2006, 01:25 PM
Im running the budget setup, suzuki sierra front shocks (placed in the rear of 86) an 6kg ajps spings (which i got for cheap or id be running chopped falcon springs