PDA

View Full Version : Cusco Strut Tops - Help Needed

JDM LEVIN
31st December 2006, 01:42 AM
Hey Guys,

Ran through a few searches and was unable to find an answer to my question...So here goes...By the way, make it simple for me, as Im not too technically minded!!!

Cusco Strut Tops
I have some Front Cusco strut tops, which has camber adjustable pillow ball mounts. Now they are making some clunking noises, and apparently they need a new fiber washer.

Now this clunking:

What would be causing the clunking noise?

How hard is it to source and fit a fiber washer?

Is it possible to recondition the strut top to eliminate this sound?

Can they be reconditioned? What is the cost of a mechanic to do the reconditioning?

Should I fix them, or just bin them, as the cost of fixing this problem would far outweigh the benefits of using them?

Benefits of Strut Tops:
Now I am running, King Spring lows, with Brand new KYB Excel G Struts.

What benefits would I get from these strut tops other than camber adjustability?

How would I adjust my camber to get most of the tyre on the road, yet minimise tyre wear?

Should I run these strut tops, or just continue with the stock tops??

If you could take a time to consider my problems and help out that would be a massive help!

Thanks again 86Club

StockAE86
31st December 2006, 02:04 AM
Sounds like you're just missing the spacer that goes just underneath the cambertop bearing.. The clunking is the slack that the spacer should fix up.
Could possibly just add washers or find one that would be about the right size?

http://www.xcceleration.com/images/tea/wrx/pillowballadj.jpg
Note the circle things next to the allen key

Benefits from the camber tops, is the camber and the better steering response. No flex in the metal tops compared to oem rubber ones.
The extra camber in a way won't give you more tyre wear. It just won't spread the tyre wear evenly, [ie. wear out more on the inside]. Toe would wear your tyres out more.
Up to you whether you want to continue running them. Just fix em up with a spacer/washer, [a matter of taking it back out, putting a washer/spacer under it and putting it back in ..]

rthy
1st January 2007, 10:27 PM
keep in mind that no matter what a cusco camber top is a metal to metal bush, so no matter what it will always be noiser than standard.

meanmecordia
9th January 2007, 02:42 AM
i got these and the nut thingo on top dunno what u wanna call it but that comes loose u gotta tighten it up mine comes loose arfter a good day out at the track

josh

driftae86
9th January 2007, 03:17 AM
yep josh is on the money. tighten up the pilo nuts and the clunking should go away. tighten with a air compressor if u can.

meanmecordia
9th January 2007, 09:00 PM
are you stalking me andrew http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif lol jk