PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy protection

Gilly
31st December 2006, 10:05 PM
Any one else notice how bullshit hot there dizzy gets during driving? mine gets extremely hot to touch and i fear for the cap and the internals longevity. i've seen a lot of conversions now and rarely do i see a dizzy heatshield or anything like that to keep temps down.

i've decided to wrap the extractors as this will keep general underbonnet temps down. i will also be wrapping the start of the exhaust section that runs under the passenger footwell as this too gets ridiculouly hot and heats up the floor something severe, as in burn your feet hot http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

curious to see if anyone has done any "heat shielding"

also keen for feedback in regards to thermal wraps, as to whether they are effective and any problems that may arise by using them.

parrot
31st December 2006, 11:23 PM
After a while the pickup coils inside the distributor become affected by heat and you get a hot start problem. i.e. won't start when hot but usually does when it cools down. Only way to fix it is to replace the pickups inside the dizzy. Not available after market thus expensive from Toyota and possibly not available? or get another set out of another ancient dizzy. The early dizzy's had no heat sheild whereas the later ones did when the problem became known.

cast iron manifolds give off less heat than extractors but can still be aproblem.

So yes, definitely shield. I have cast manifold and factory shields only (including the one on the manifold and distributor) on my 16 valve but if I had extractors would definitely do more. You could probably fairly easily get one off a 20 valve tubular manifold as I think many extractors have some sort of facility for bolting heat shields to them. That is what Toyota use on the 20 valve engines.

v-tec
1st January 2007, 03:08 PM
I have a factory heat sheild off mine that i got off jason.
Seems to do the job ok, it was quite the issue for me as my motor got deleivered to me with a dizzy cap that had half of it completely melted off!!
Ive been meaing to get a spare rotor button for ages as well... i really really should do it asap.

I hear alot of people in japan do air cooling setups and stuff. Even water cooled... such extremes. But i guess in drift you dont want to keep blowing rotor buttons

Gilly im sure you would be smart enough to sort out something like that.
Maybe get like some 3/4" hose and channel it from behind your lightsand through a hole in the dizzy cap. (just make sure the hose doesnt hit the rotor button http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Micknofx
1st January 2007, 09:54 PM
After a while the pickup coils inside the distributor become affected by heat and you get a hot start problem. i.e. won't start when hot but usually does when it cools down. Only way to fix it is to replace the pickups inside the dizzy. Not available after market thus expensive from Toyota and possibly not available? or get another set out of another ancient dizzy. The early dizzy's had no heat sheild whereas the later ones did when the problem became known.

cast iron manifolds give off less heat than extractors but can still be aproblem.

So yes, definitely shield. I have cast manifold and factory shields only (including the one on the manifold and distributor) on my 16 valve but if I had extractors would definitely do more. You could probably fairly easily get one off a 20 valve tubular manifold as I think many extractors have some sort of facility for bolting heat shields to them. That is what Toyota use on the 20 valve engines.[/b]

I had this exact problem and I ended up melting my dizzy to the point it started missing. Definetly wrap/coat extractors and try a bit of shielding, shouldn't be too hard to knock something up if you can't get one of the abovementioned shields

MINIHORSE
5th February 2007, 12:22 AM
ive just encountered this problemo,
dizzy melts, leaks oil on extractors=not cool on a hot day,

do i have to replace the dizzy cap of the whole dizzy??

prosbo
5th February 2007, 12:39 AM
you could try using that flexable heat shield the fords have. i think EF or somthing not sure. cheap to get from wreckers too.
its that silver stuff with the sort of black dimples in it.

but that stuff could works good and its easy enough to bend to what u need.

my 2.C..

flamingheads
5th February 2007, 01:05 AM
Don't be stupid. Always carry protection, just in case. You never know when things are going to get hot.

Gilly
5th February 2007, 08:19 PM
you could try using that flexable heat shield the fords have. i think EF or somthing not sure. cheap to get from wreckers too.
its that silver stuff with the sort of black dimples in it.

but that stuff could works good and its easy enough to bend to what u need.

my 2.C..[/b]

i know the shit you mean and never thought of it

i'll be using that

thanks http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

mattysshop
6th February 2007, 03:51 PM
i have a factory heat sheild for them somewhere at home i'll let you know when i find it david!

selk
6th February 2007, 09:52 PM
just use a fwd 100kw heat shield

mattysshop
7th February 2007, 08:21 AM
bigports had them to... something to catch the oil when the oring fucks out!

v-tec
7th February 2007, 08:44 AM
Rofl^^

man... we need to get some real crazy dizzy cooling setups going
Ive also heard of air sheilds leading to a hose which shoots cold air inside the dizzy cap.

Cheapest option is just alway carry a spare dizzy cap and rotor button lol

Gilly
7th February 2007, 09:23 AM
i have a factory heat sheild for them somewhere at home i'll let you know when i find it david![/b]

Sik, cheers Matty

monkeymajik
7th February 2007, 10:37 AM
Can you buy the flexy heatshield type stuff new?

prosbo
7th February 2007, 03:42 PM
^ i dont see why not. just talk to a parts guy for the item code and see how much it is..the new xr6 turbos have a shit load on them..i mean SHIT load.

but the stuff u get from wreckers would be fine..dont see any reason for it to be bad or anything so that would be the go.

johnny_08
8th February 2007, 09:22 PM
do u reckon oil leaking from the dizzy could casue loss of ignition on idle? IE: dropping revs then stalling when hot

Beserker99
8th February 2007, 10:15 PM
I made my own a while back...it looks something like this.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/3/976.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Beserker99/My%20AE86/Develop/Develop121.jpg)

Thus far, I have since removed it cus it was ugly looking. I was gonna make a better one later on.

20sil
9th February 2007, 07:00 AM
Where do you buy the heat wraping from?

DRFT - 86
28th May 2007, 06:09 PM
do u reckon oil leaking from the dizzy could casue loss of ignition on idle? IE: dropping revs then stalling when hot[/b]

Im pretty certain that this is the problem that Im experiencing right now....

Can anyone clarify if a complete new dizzy can be purchased through Toyota or Repco ect... (JDM 16V) ?

JDMJNKY
28th May 2007, 07:20 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=311333)

do u reckon oil leaking from the dizzy could casue loss of ignition on idle? IE: dropping revs then stalling when hot[/b]

Im pretty certain that this is the problem that Im experiencing right now....

Can anyone clarify if a complete new dizzy can be purchased through Toyota or Repco ect... (JDM 16V) ?
[/b]

the oil leaking from the dizzy is only leaking from the o ring around the dizzy like 20c from sprints or $3 form toyota and its leaking out usualy straigt onto the extractors not affecting the dizzy. unless the oil is actualy leaking in2 the dizzy i wouldnt worry, as for heat protecting i had a problem with the cas getting hot and the coils on my gte just go to sprints and get the fiberglass heat protective wrapping will instantly stop things melting and getting so hot if not put it on thicker!

DRFT - 86
2nd June 2007, 11:17 PM
went to change the cap and rotor today but cap didnt fit... anyways had oil inside around the cap seal ect... I got the O ring to go in when I get the chance.. will this fix that leak or is it more severe than I thought..?

JDM-086
7th June 2007, 12:52 AM
i got oil inside my dizzy cap too, and i also had difficulty finding a dizzy cap to fit (jdm 16v bigport) i ended up with like an ae82 dizzy cap turned upside down i kinda forced it on a little...does the job