PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel shudder

albertos
1st January 2007, 11:43 PM
at speeds over 110 my steering wheel feels like its going to explode and i dont feel safe, i got the fronts balanced and a wheel alingment but didnt do much to fix my problem ,also using sigma lca,s

has anyone had similar problems

PuGZoR
2nd January 2007, 10:12 AM
Just a thought, it's probably something else in your suspension such as tie rod ends. When I had my MR2 it was a little like that, nothing major, but I suspect if I had have let the problem develop it would be giving symptoms like your describing. Check that all your components are straight, or bent where they're supposed to be too.

Jonny Rochester
2nd January 2007, 10:31 AM
If you paid money for the wheel balance and alignment, TAKE IT BACK. (But tell them the problem is at 95km/h). Tell them to get it back on the hoist and check it out till they find something. I do wheel alignments and would not let a car go like that without a good story.

It could be, oval tyres, or damaged tyres. Loose wheel bearings. Loose ball joints. Bad wheel alignment. But I would look at front wheel balance to start with. Someone stuffed up.

RobertoX
2nd January 2007, 10:42 AM
with your sigma LCAs did you use the original steering arms? The balljoint taper is slightly different afaik.... may be a source of looseness

johnny_08
2nd January 2007, 12:50 PM
yea i get that crazy shudder aswell with stock arms, but i have max camber on cussco camber tops, havent had it checked yet tho. would it be from the camber?

Jonny Rochester
2nd January 2007, 01:05 PM
Steering wheel shudder at speed is almost always the front wheels out of balance. Or it can be the front wheels/tyres out of round. Generally, wheel alignment will not effect shudder.

The other main shudder problem is the brake disks. But this is through the brake pedal, and only when braking.

Monk
2nd January 2007, 04:48 PM
Get some new rack ends

Hen is a total nutcase
2nd January 2007, 04:55 PM
I once had a wheel alignment and balance done but they unfortunately forgot about the balance part. I took it back and they were embarassed did it properly. Shudder gone.

As said above it could also be worn/loose parts. Jack up the front end and wobble everything. Wobble the wheel from top to bottom, and side to side. Check rack ends and tie rods don't wobble in their balljoints or in the threaded join. Check tie rods are tight in arms and LCA balljoint is tight in arms too (though you have to pull the strut off to check that). Check the rack itself isn't sloppy.

Hen

juzzo84
2nd January 2007, 05:55 PM
check your castor rod bushes! have seen this to be a problem before

AmyC
2nd January 2007, 06:32 PM
What are your front tires like ?

johnny_08
3rd January 2007, 10:45 PM
almost bald, is that a problem? http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif, when i get new tyres i'll ask em to check it out.

AmyC
4th January 2007, 12:17 AM
A mates rwd lancer had bald tires on the front and caused it to shudder and carry on like a bitch, new tires problem solvered.

selk
4th January 2007, 01:13 AM
how are ur disc's ?

johnny_08
4th January 2007, 11:16 AM
brand new, pretty much

Gilly
4th January 2007, 12:09 PM
yeah i would also seriously just get that front wheel balance checked again. 90% of the time thats what it is.

if not as been said before i would lok at rack ends and tie rod ends. any slop in these joints can lead to shudder.