PDA

View Full Version : panhard rod, why is mine bent?

yoshimitsu9
4th January 2007, 10:57 PM
as the title states!

mine is bent, it has been since the day i bought my hachi, is it somthing to do with the car being lowered?

basically it is unknown about what the function of a panhard rod (for what ever reason which is unknown to me as to why i neglected researching suspension prior to buying a hachi) so any information is greatly appreciated.

obviosly is it going to be better to buy an adjustable pan hard rod which will be on the list of parts to buy

cheers,

stefan

Jonny Rochester
4th January 2007, 11:15 PM
Without a panhard rod, the diff would flop about from side to side. (Get under the car and take another look. I like to lay under my car for about 20 minuits or an hour. Just study everything, get mum to bring cookies out. It's like watching the clouds).

The standard panhard rod should be straight. Some aftermarket ones are bent to clear the exhaust or something when lowered roo much.

driftae86
4th January 2007, 11:19 PM
previous owner probly hit the rear into a kerb or something. that usually bends panhard rods

rthy
4th January 2007, 11:26 PM
they can be bent when a car slides into something sideways like a gutter, like a gutter while drifting...

you should be able to bend it back quite easly

Matt-AE86
5th January 2007, 01:15 AM
it will bend back again, i bent mine, bend it back with a jack, but whenever i jacked the rear up, had to re jack the rod, mad awful noises, got an adjustable later on. pretty dangerous imo.

damo101
5th January 2007, 02:26 AM
umm probly a cheap way to realign the diff after lowering..saved the previous owner from getting an adjustable 1

yoshimitsu9
5th January 2007, 02:48 AM
cheers guys, good to know. ill get on to that

fucking mystery ex racing cars..... too much stuff i dont know about on this car.

lol its about time i made a stefans questions thread instead of making a new one every time i need to know somthing

Gilly
5th January 2007, 09:38 AM
if its an ex race car it may have had a panhard rod fabricated to the right size and has the kink in it to clear whatever the kink clears ;lol:

i know all whiteline panhard rods have a kink in them as do pedders sports ones.

get a pic up, hard to tell could just be a fkd one

balistic
5th January 2007, 09:45 AM
I have a stock panhard rod for sale if you need a cheap replacement:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/in...showtopic=11300 (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=11300)

rthy
5th January 2007, 10:01 AM
maybe it was bent for one of those cheap lowering mods

i found the whiteline kink or bent usefull as it clears the exhaust pipe
where as the stright cusco one would rub it... upppp and downn... uuuppppppp and dddoowwwwnnnnn... uuuppppppppp and dowwwwwwnnnnnnnnnn... uuuuuuuupppppppppp and doooowwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn n n n

riceburner
5th January 2007, 07:50 PM
i think you will find the bend is there for clearing the diff housing, especially when using thicker adjustable rods. it also makes reaching the filler plug easier.