PDA

View Full Version : Lightened Flywheel

ben_shoe
6th January 2007, 08:00 PM
As i am gonna have to change my clutch soon i am thinking about putting in a lightened flywheel. But as i understand it you lose some torque but it revs easier. And you need torue to spin the wheels. So does this mean if i get an extremely light flywheel (looking at toda 3.7kg or somethin stupid) i am going to have more trouble getting wheelspin, drifting etc?? Or wont it affect it?
Any advice or experience would be helpful. Thanks.

RobertoX
6th January 2007, 08:10 PM
Hi mate, speak to 'skaney' on toymods, i remeber he put on in, and was raving about how good it was

he said it felt like it had more power, revved up quicker and was still good for drift

i have a 3.7kg extreme cromolly light flywheel in stock brand new, suit na 4age

cheers

ben_shoe
6th January 2007, 08:17 PM
i have a 3.7kg extreme cromolly light flywheel in stock brand new, suit na 4age

cheers[/b]

How much is that worth?

RobertoX
6th January 2007, 09:13 PM
$550ish brand new

RobertoX
8th January 2007, 11:50 AM
You dont lose any engine torque but you do loose the inertia of the flywheel that you get when you rev it and dump the clutch to get wheelspin, if that is what you are worried about. No Idea how it affects dorifting though...

actually if you compare the same engine with and without a lightened flywheel and don't use a clutch dump at all to spin the wheels (ie just accelerator application) the lighter fly would win because the engine has less drivetrain mass to accelerate...

balistic
8th January 2007, 12:10 PM
I've got a lightened flywheel in my WRX - they should have come from factory like this, much better driving feel! Engine revs up a lot quicker and has more response - heel/toe down shifting is much better as the engine is quicker to match revs http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

Whats available in a 212mm lightened flywheel for 4AGE?

RobertoX
10th January 2007, 03:38 PM
chromolly, all same price http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Hen is a total nutcase
10th January 2007, 06:58 PM
Light flywheels:
- Alloy race components in Melbourne do Cro-mo ones. Around 3.6kg sold through Meridian motorsport. $660 from hazy memory.
- Xtreme in Adelaide do an alloy job (steel faced). 3.7kg from memory. Rumoured to be manufactured by ARC aswell.
- Yager in Syd?
- Some bling japanese brands

Hen

roadsailing
10th January 2007, 07:21 PM
dave, PM me your best price for a 212mm one, otherwise im going to have to do something dodgy involving a standard flywheel, a big lathe and an auto 4AGE flex plate