PDA

View Full Version : Electric demister

Andor
7th January 2007, 05:38 PM
Can electric demisters, commonly found on rear windscreens be added aftermarket? In this case I want to put it on my front windscreen so I can do away with the heater. Who would do it, auto elec?

v-tec
7th January 2007, 05:45 PM
just a guess, but i would say it wouldnt be smart or too legal as it could easily become a visual problem.

if you could work it out so it does work properly its probly a good idea

Andor
7th January 2007, 05:51 PM
My car is far from legal in many ways and whilst it is currently still registered it probably won't remain so for long. It is strictly a track car and I am trying to save every kilo I can. Plus having the whole heater setup just to demist the windscreen on the odd occasion seems dumb. I have seen it done on v8 supercars, the lines are so small you wont even notice them when concentrating. Besides you should be looking out the side window when drifting http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

AmyC
7th January 2007, 05:52 PM
You can buy electric heaters for cars.

Gilly
7th January 2007, 05:52 PM
i've seen stick on ones like the rear screens have with the heated strips going along the screen.

highly doubt its legal on the front window. would look the ghey any way.

i have seen dash mounted units (Biggo uses one) it has a heated element in it and a fan that blows the heated air on the screen, fairly cumbersome unit but i imagine it would be effective.

try a marine shop for the 12v heater units http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

Jonny Rochester
7th January 2007, 11:22 PM
This is a good idea and if I didn't live in Tasmania I would do away with the heater box also. Although I also like the fan in summer, and the AE86 vents are in a nice place on my hands.

balistic
8th January 2007, 10:05 AM
They were doing up an AE86 in the Autosalon mag and they removed the factory heater/aircon etc. and replaced it with an aftermarket 12v electric one to satisfy the authorities, they didnt mention what brand or model or anything though, but it was apparently a lot smaller and lighter that the factory set-up?

Jonny Rochester
8th January 2007, 10:35 AM
A hair dryer maybe.

If I had no heaterbox, I like the demister tape on the windscrean idea best. V8 Supercar style.

ae86trueno
8th January 2007, 11:21 AM
you can get them for the front windscreen, in fact alot of rally and race cars run them, For the sprinter i run a small electric strip heater which sits at the base of the windscreen, which works ok. In our Rally excel we run a rear type demister on the windscreen. It doesnt efect vision as you are looking through the windscreen not at so so your eyes dont focus on the strips.

BEen.