PDA

View Full Version : car just died! wun start.

dirty_86
8th January 2007, 09:25 PM
Hey guys

Tonight i was taking the car out for a little thrash round my area. anyways as i took 1 corner at the exit the cars headlights started to flicker on me, i kept driving along and turned normally worried that something would happen. Then the car jerked headlights turned off and car car just died! i then tried to start it again it would crank but would not start. Also noticng that my headlights didn''t work, hazards and horn all don't work but parkers do. My best bet and most obvious bet is i blew a fuse as i looked around i didn't see any signs of a blown fuse.

help would be greatly appreciated

cheers

jace

juzzo84
8th January 2007, 09:34 PM
battery terminal may have broken or connection been stressed, if the battery was not secured properly, and with the high speed cornering you may have dislodged something. Or possible the altinator is not charging correctly

ae86fow
8th January 2007, 09:56 PM
Agree with juzzo84.
Now sounds like there isn't enough amps in the battery to turn the engine OR the connection isn't strong enough to drive the starter. Lights etc wouldn't require a great connection.
Doubt its a fuse.

Another possibility comes to mind; It could be an earth. Check all the earths that run from the body to the engine and that the negative side of the battery has a real good connection to the body.
Both my '86s have had really bad battery mounts which means the battery jumps around and eventually damages the connections.

It'll just be something simple like that.

ae86fow
8th January 2007, 10:26 PM
Sorry - misread the post and gave explanation based on not cranking (had a no brainer moment)

flamingheads
9th January 2007, 06:03 PM
I had this loose wire somewhere and when I did a big slide it would come unattached and the car just wouldnt start. Id have to get out, find it and plug it back in.
Youve probably had a good look all around in there tho.

dirty_86
9th January 2007, 07:11 PM
Hey guys

sorry i forgot to mention its a 4AGE bluetop 16V EFI from an ae82 running the ae82 computer, i had a good look around the car all plugs seem to be in place. I had a quick look this morning before i went to work. car had been running great since last night. its cranking hard i got the 520cca battery, as i sed b4 my headlights, hazards horn are not working i tink its possibly i relay that has blew or sumthing. Im an apprentice mechanic asked the guys at work and they sed its most likely and electrical problem. Thanks for the response guys!

cheers

jace

riceburner
10th January 2007, 08:46 PM
Im an apprentice mechanic asked the guys at work and they sed its most likely and electrical problem. Thanks for the response guys![/b]

Tell me where you work so i can never go there. Seriously thou, cranking but not running, no headlights, but parkers work means auto electrcian for you. They will have that sorted in no time.

Steve

dirty_86
11th January 2007, 10:58 PM
cars running!.. 1 of the wires sllipt the battery being so big split the wire after the fusable links!

cheers guys for the help!

jace