PDA

View Full Version : 4ac -> 4age engine swap

yes02t
9th January 2007, 10:11 PM
Hey all

Just got myself a sprinter after months of looking around.

Ive now pulled out the dead 4ac and gear box, but my main questions atm is:

Does the original fuel tank HAVE to be replaced for the 4age engine? and if so why?

I got one for the 4age which came with the car, but is it really required....

AmyC
9th January 2007, 10:16 PM
No you dont have to change it but if you allready have a EFI tank wack it in.

Gilly
9th January 2007, 10:42 PM
no need. just modify the tank top.

i had a 8mm fitting welded to the top, pic explains the rest.

you end up with proper size feed, use the original feed as the return, vent is still the vent.

i feel a tech article coming on........

dirty_86
9th January 2007, 10:48 PM
if your really keen u can do a surge tank setup like what i did..

rthy
10th January 2007, 12:16 AM
or you could just do what everyone else did:

- change all the rubber lines and clamps to efi ones

- use a VL fuel pump

- keep the tank above 1/3

gilly: that looks super neat, I like it

RobertoX
10th January 2007, 01:03 AM
after having used a VL pump I would definately use an intank one like Gilly has... for a little effort it is so much neater...
if you have an efi tank already it doesnt get much easier!

Redwarf
10th January 2007, 01:34 AM
guy ur making life hard on the guy ! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif well i think gilly is talking bout the same shit as me...maybe?

go to wrecker, buy ae82 fuel pump (pump and houseing) IT BOLTS IN, u need to extend part of the bracket that is in the tank so the pump sits lower (ae86 tank is deeper than ae82....)

then cut the outlets of the housing shorter and run new efi hoses....stock pipes from ae82 hit body bits on ae86, so they need to be cut short and hoses re run, i used all stock metal lines to engine bay, and then redone engine bay with efi hoses.

also feed 6mm, return 4mm, canitser 6mm, so swap ur cansiter/return lines to make use of larger capacity...i also used a VN-VR V6 efi fuel filter before feed goes into rail, cheap and effective!

best part $65, no smelly surge tank, and ive gotta to an 8th of a tank and no surges (mind u it wont be far off i extended my pump till it was 1.5ish cm off the bottom of the tank to avoid picking up crap so it will surge eventually to run full tank mount it lying on the bottom of the tank...)

trust me easy option for the NA converison! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

Jonny Rochester
10th January 2007, 09:18 AM
I am lucky to have a AE86 fuel pump and bracket that will just bolt into the tank. But I think EFI fuel tanks have a plastic surge tank in them, like a cup around the fuel pickup.

Did the AE86 EFI tank have any plastic baffles inside them? If they did, is there anyway I can buy or make this the same?

yes02t
10th January 2007, 09:42 AM
Cheers for all the help guys.

4ac and gearbox is out after 3 days. So now im gonna start preping the car for the 4age to go in.

crazy86
10th January 2007, 09:46 AM
Easiest solution, use the EFI tank, It just bolts in, and it comes with a pump etc, and is baffled to prevent surge (to a certain extent, as Johhny said in the start of his post) If you are hitting the track often I would then add a surge tank, and add another pump, but this isnt needed if you are just driving the car on the street and the 4AG is stock/mildly tuned.

If you dont want the JDM tank, sell it to me! It makes life a lot easier.

hairywally
10th January 2007, 04:26 PM
i'm currently running the ae82 setup, still using pump from wreckers, using original fuel lines, changed rubber hoese and using proper clamps, has been in a car making 98 rear kilowatts for at least 4 years with no dramas

yes02t
10th January 2007, 05:35 PM
Confirmed tank is JDM, just gonna switch them over.

Thanks guys

riceburner
10th January 2007, 09:08 PM
Jdm tank doesnt have baffles, it does a have a type of swirl pot were fuel is stored for the pump pik up. Ive never heard of surging problems with JDM tank but in reality it is possible.

Another spanner in the works for future reference.

Get your self a VN commodore tank with pump, and your carby tank, take it to a metal fabricator and ask to rip the baffels and pump from the vn tank and weld into your carby tank, cost me $200 fully baffled and a pump big enough for any motor i plan on using.

crazy86
11th January 2007, 09:24 AM
Sorry, Swirl Pot is what I meant, just referred to Johhny's post instead. Gettin lazy in my old age

damo101
15th February 2007, 10:12 PM
if your really keen u can do a surge tank setup like what i did..[/b]

sorry to dig up an old thread but i thought i might ask here rather than posting a new thread

if im not running a surge tank..where does the other line from charcoal canister go to?..at the moment there is 1 6mm line from tank to charcoal..but the other line coming out of the charcoal.. i dont know where it goes

also im using the original feed (6mm) but ae82 intank fuel pump..the problem is joining the 8mm pump outlet to 6mm line..can i use a 8mm efi hose and clamp it down on the 6mm side?

driftke70
15th February 2007, 10:43 PM
the other line goes into the intake manifold or t/b (should see 2 little pipes sticking out on top, 1 of them is for the charcoal!)

damo101
15th February 2007, 10:58 PM
that should be connected by efi grade hose as well?

rthy
15th February 2007, 11:02 PM
nup
its like a breather
u can use all the original 4ac tubes or what ever then just connect it to thbe t/b