PDA

View Full Version : 4agte waterpump/alternator setup

caibs
11th January 2007, 08:44 PM
ay im just in the process of bolting the turbo onto my gze

basically, i've got the alternator mounted on the exhaust side, but i'll need the adjustable one on the inlet side so i can run the water pump as well ?

so
what 4age/gze is the adjustable alternator bracket on the inlet side from ?
does anyone have one?
and what sized belt do i run?

cheers guys

take it easy

Jonny Rochester
11th January 2007, 11:34 PM
The best and nicest way is to get the AE86 - 4A-GE alternator brackets, new from Toyota if you have to. Plus the water pump pulley if you want RWD water pump. Use a 5PK840 belt. This is all genuine AE86 stuff, bolts on! But does cost money.

So many people do with the FWD alternator and waterpump setup. The 20 valve alternator mount is high on the intake side. Lots of people have these mounts spare, as I do.

caibs
14th January 2007, 07:41 PM
ok so the bracket in this photo below is from a 4age ae86 (is it the same as the 20v one?)

http://image-cache.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/uploads/post-266-1168008471.jpg

and i'll need the water pump pulley from a 4age ae86 as well (so the w/pump can be run on the same belt as the alternator&crank) ?

Jonny Rochester
15th January 2007, 09:51 AM
That bracket does not look quite right, or not genuine at least. But if it works, then thats fine.

The 20v alternator bracket mounts it higher up, which is an options. It's up to you.

I have the genuine AE86-4A-GE bracket which mounts it low, but looks a bit different to yours.

The different waterpump pulley is only needed if you use a RWD waterpump.

If you want to run the 20v alternator mount, plus the RWD waterpump also, things can get a bit messy. Best to mount the alternator low.

caibs
15th January 2007, 01:40 PM
yeah fair enough mate, would you be interested in selling any of that stuff?

cri_ag
15th January 2007, 01:40 PM
im fairly sure that bracket is genuine, it looks exactly like my smallport one which i run now on my 4agte.

caibs
16th January 2007, 03:36 PM
ah i picked up a rwd water pump setup and the alternator bracket today so it should all be good now

can anyone tell me if a water pump (eg. bought from repco/supercheap) for a fwd car will work ?

or do you need to buy a genuine one from toyota..

spilmer
16th January 2007, 04:49 PM
ah i picked up a rwd water pump setup and the alternator bracket today so it should all be good now

can anyone tell me if a water pump (eg. bought from repco/supercheap) for a fwd car will work ?

or do you need to buy a genuine one from toyota..[/b]

Apparently fwd water pumps will fuck their bearings if you use a clutch fan from a rwd setup (non elect thermo fan)

caibs
17th January 2007, 03:38 PM
cheers mate but it doesnt have a clutch fan fitted

driftism
17th January 2007, 04:01 PM
fwd waterpumps do not work with rwd housings, as the fins are a different shape.

spilmer
17th January 2007, 05:20 PM
fwd waterpumps do not work with rwd housings, as the fins are a different shape.[/b]

Can you confirm that. I sure i used a fwd 4age pump on a rwd 4ac rear housing no problem, didnt interfere.

chapl
17th January 2007, 05:23 PM
they are 1mm too long in the blades area. If you are good with a grinder and really carefull it works great. Its all in here if your interested in pic:

http://www.sq.id.au/auto/cooling/20vrwdcooling.html

just skip the rest till you get to the water pump section

caibs
18th January 2007, 03:51 PM
yeah cheers mate, i was able to compare em last night and the rwd one is longer indeed

i rang toyota for a new one they didnt know what i was on about but ben from kyp sorted one out at a good price

not too much more to go now

thanks for everyones help