PDA

View Full Version : Fuel?

DRFTPG
11th January 2007, 10:10 PM
Ok so seeing as Hatchis were made before 1986 they are ment to run on Leaded fue arnt they? so do you guys use normal unleaded plus that addative stuff or not? does your car run fine on that stuff becuase i know that our old VK commodore run pretty poorly on it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

corolla_kid
11th January 2007, 10:30 PM
Majority of the time, it doesnty make a difference anyway, just run them on unleaded.

Gilly
11th January 2007, 10:33 PM
from memory only, most jap engines ,even old skool adm ones have alloy heads meaning they already have the hardened valve seats and whatever else goes on in that area. this means it doesn't need the additives and lubricant shit people add, and you can use normal unleaded fuel.

could be wrong, often am

your old VK would have run worse as the lead in in the old now nonexsistent leaded fuel was actually a bit of an octane booster. not much but enough to warrant the difference. we used to have to back the timing off the old cars that came in and were pinging and shit on the new blends that replaced leaded fuels.

HYPNTK
11th January 2007, 11:13 PM
i use the the additive with my 4ac...can't tell the difference if i don't i don't think http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

then again i run no air filter and am trying to run my 4ac into the ground but meh!

DRFTPG
13th January 2007, 04:19 AM
well that basically answers my question, thanks

flamingheads
13th January 2007, 09:25 AM
I thought all the old toyotas ran fine on unleaded. My old 4AC did, people seem to run their 4ags, 4k, whatever celicas run etc on unleaded happily.
I think the Japanese made their engines unleaded compatible ages before they had to so they're all sweet. Although I could also be wrong about this.

ae71
13th January 2007, 11:32 AM
i didnt think they had leaded in japan.. meaning alot of the engines that where relised in aus where also reliced in japan and other countries, so really it would make sence to make them all unleaded. just a tune for that countries usual octaine levels.. i.e. japan's fuel is like race fuel and ours is just plain shit...

edit: this should be made a sticky somewhere, cause this question keeps on coming up...

Javal
13th January 2007, 01:27 PM
All japanese made motors made post 1981 come with hardened valves and valve seats, so they are perfectly fine to run on unleaded.

however they like a higher octane rating, as japanese fuel has a higher octane rating than ours, SO:

if you run a 4age, i 98 octane would be recommended, but not 100% necessary.

if you run a 4ac, run 91, because it just doesn't matter