PDA

View Full Version : removing rear seats in a road registered car

keiichi
17th January 2007, 04:16 PM
1 being the least legal and 10 being the most legal.
in your opinion how legal is it?
have you ever had problems from cops for having your rear seats removed?
have you been pulled over before for something else, what did they say about the seats?

well i know its prob not legal cause my car is prob mod plated as a 4 seater (anyway to find this out?). see the thing is im driving to melbourne in like a week or so, once im there ill be driving my car around very little and prob just takin public transport, ill be slowly turning the car into "track only". also ill need the room in my car to get stuff there. plus i like making the car lighter http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif
so what yas think? is it worth it? if i get pulled over i could get done for too low anyway, so yehhhhh.
regards
zac

breno
17th January 2007, 04:22 PM
I ran no seats for about a month had no trouble at all, thats because i have never been pulled over though.
I think its only around $50 or so to get ot mod plated as a 2 seater.
But really its not worth it for a street car, the back seats are basically foam with bracing and weighs shit all, not going to make any differnce.

driftke70
17th January 2007, 04:30 PM
weight reduction works on a all or nothing basis, you either strip the fuck out your car sound deadener and everything or you just leave it all in. Mines mod plated but no cop has ever really said anything about it.

chapl
17th January 2007, 04:41 PM
if you take out your seats and leave seat belts in = illegal
if you take out your seats and take seatbelts out and plug the holes = legal

also
if you have fixed back buckets seats and rear seats = illegal
so its a good excuse to take the rear seats out

ajc_ae86
17th January 2007, 04:57 PM
weight reduction works on a all or nothing basis, you either strip the fuck out your car sound deadener and everything or you just leave it all in. Mines mod plated but no cop has ever really said anything about it.[/b]

All or nothing ^^^^, people that think that taking your A/C unit out or your back seats are pulling them selves, and its illegal to take your back seats out (if its reg'd as a 4 or 5 seater) unless your car has a mod plate to otherwise.

chapl
17th January 2007, 05:08 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=303877)

weight reduction works on a all or nothing basis, you either strip the fuck out your car sound deadener and everything or you just leave it all in. Mines mod plated but no cop has ever really said anything about it.[/b]

All or nothing ^^^^, people that think that taking your A/C unit out or your back seats are pulling them selves, and its illegal to take your back seats out (if its reg'd as a 4 or 5 seater) unless your car has a mod plate to otherwise.
[/b]

air cons weigh like 15kg!
every little bit counts if you go the whole way.

also, it depends where you live about your rear seats/mod plate etc....
down here i followed the rules and have no probs.

if you want to pull them out, do it, take the belts out, and the cops wont bother you....
oh they might advise you to go to a transport company and change rego to a 2 seater... no biggie, but the cops usually jus overlook it.

ToySprinta
17th January 2007, 05:30 PM
Havent had a back seat for a year now, cops dont even notice it.
Prob too busy looking at all the zipties holding everything on http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

lo_rolla
17th January 2007, 05:46 PM
Mines modplated as two seater... But then again, i've never been pulled over...

LordNafe
17th January 2007, 05:46 PM
Do it. And if you are that worried about it, get a mod palte for 2 seater, very simple http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif
Mine's got no air con, no rear seats, not sounddeading. It's great
Havent modplated mine yet, going to wait till i have a race seat and rollcage and do it on the one plate, until then i'm not worried about driving how it is

breno
17th January 2007, 06:11 PM
Yeah i had nothing in my car, defilinty take your rear seatbelts out if u take the seats out, i think i got close to around 80kg with everything i took out.
Im not sure if conrona's are like ke's but they look cool with a sheet of aluminium covering up the hole, and its not as noisy either.

us_ae86
17th January 2007, 06:18 PM
I personally have never deemed it necessary to remove my rear seats. the weight difference isn't too much of a difference. Here it is alot easier with the coppers. I had my seats removed in my DA integra, even the passenger, and no cops can say anything about it. Seems that you guys have it quite hard over there when it comes to vehicle specification requirements. eek!

DRFT - 86
17th January 2007, 07:15 PM
no issues with having the rear seat removed, just removed the seat belts that go with it and get your car changed to a 2 seater on your rego papers... easy, dont even require a mod plate for it...

ke70dave
17th January 2007, 07:58 PM
just get a mod plate? and save the trouble?

considering the price and effort we all put into our cars, a modplate has got to be worth it, except for you suckers in NSW maybe, i hear its verrry expensive?

keiichi
17th January 2007, 08:00 PM
sweet thanx for that ppls. im not gonna re rego my car or even get it regoed for vic. just gonna leave it in the driveway or whatever and only take it to track days (or drive it at night if im desperate)... I WANT SPONSORESHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyway yeh i think ill do it...
also to people who say removing your seats or carpet dont do shit. think of it like this... would you consider putting a pod filter on useless? i would say that taking your carpet out would be the equivelent in final power to weight ratio as doin a pod.

right?

dirty_86
17th January 2007, 10:20 PM
just get a mod plate? and save the trouble?

considering the price and effort we all put into our cars, a modplate has got to be worth it, except for you suckers in NSW maybe, i hear its verrry expensive?[/b]

haha yeh NSW sucks!.. ><.. my car has more cable ties thatn bolts.. if i ever get pulled over ill be f**ked to the s**thouse lol... DAM THESE TURBO RESTRICTIONS!!!..

yoshimitsu9
17th January 2007, 11:46 PM
sweet thanx for that ppls. im not gonna re rego my car or even get it regoed for vic. just gonna leave it in the driveway or whatever and only take it to track days (or drive it at night if im desperate)... I WANT SPONSORESHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyway yeh i think ill do it...
also to people who say removing your seats or carpet dont do shit. think of it like this... would you consider putting a pod filter on useless? i would say that taking your carpet out would be the equivelent in final power to weight ratio as doin a pod.

right?[/b]

try finding a jdm air box http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif if u do or know of someone with one ill buy it http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/greenbounce.gif

gottago
18th January 2007, 03:31 PM

also
so its a good excuse to take the rear seats out[/b]

Ok so i have fixed back front seats, and no back seats. is that legal ??

chapl
18th January 2007, 03:38 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=303882)

also
so its a good excuse to take the rear seats out[/b]

Ok so i have fixed back front seats, and no back seats. is that legal ??
[/b]

from what ive been told by an engineer, yes.

xsoarerx
18th January 2007, 03:52 PM
^^^ i read that its because fixed back seats have no padding on the back of it and during a crash the back passengers have no padding to slam into.

hence having to remove the back seats for them.

and i know some have padding but most fixed back are made of had materials and wouldnt be the best in a crash.

no issues with having the rear seat removed, just removed the seat belts that go with it and get your car changed to a 2 seater on your rego papers... easy, dont even require a mod plate for it...[/b]

is it that simple in QLD? ive been trying to decide if im going to take the back seats out on my mz11, but if its as simple as changing the rego, then im all for it http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

keiichi
18th January 2007, 05:40 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=303984)

right?[/b]

try finding a jdm air box http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif if u do or know of someone with one ill buy it http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/greenbounce.gif
[/b]

i would have no idea eh... where abouts are you? if i find you an airbox will you find me sponsoreship?

04ae86
18th January 2007, 06:43 PM
dude i have stripped the fruck out of my car made a massive difference when driving every thing responds better.

keiichi
18th January 2007, 06:55 PM
dude i have stripped the fruck out of my car made a massive difference when driving every thing responds better.[/b]

yeh whenever i go to track days i take out my spare wheel and jacks n tools n shit and its an easily noticeable difference.

also, ive done about 40-60kgms of weight removal on my car and if i put that back in the car is almost undriftable. i dont drift with passengers not only cause its dangerous, but it reduces perfomance too much.

driftke70
18th January 2007, 07:01 PM
I love mine being stripped so much, if i ever get another drifter it will be done without hesitation. As said, response is just so much better.

DRFT - 86
18th January 2007, 08:40 PM
I think its more to do with the fact that if you crash badly ect the fuckers in the back wont be able to get out so easily....

^^^ i read that its because fixed back seats have no padding on the back of it and during a crash the back passengers have no padding to slam into.

and i know some have padding but most fixed back are made of had materials and wouldnt be the best in a crash.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=303954)

no issues with having the rear seat removed, just removed the seat belts that go with it and get your car changed to a 2 seater on your rego papers... easy, dont even require a mod plate for it...[/b]

is it that simple in QLD? ive been trying to decide if im going to take the back seats out on my mz11, but if its as simple as changing the rego, then im all for it http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif
[/b]

This was actually done while I was still in NSW... when I got blueslip it was simply changed from 4 seat to 2 on the inspection form.. so gets changed when you get rego... actually dont know if QLD is the same... but I wouldnt think it would be too different..

RobertoX
18th January 2007, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by keiichi

dude, if you're going to be driving around unregistered I think having no rear seats is the least of your legal worries!

keiichi
18th January 2007, 10:44 PM
lol i didnt meen it i swear

noodles
19th January 2007, 12:41 PM
who cares about how much the seats weigh. you can fit like an extra four wheels in there with it gone and you never get elected as desi driver because no-one can fit in your car. (or if you've got mates who arent into cars they probably dont want to get in anyway.. "what the f*k? you dont even have a radio??") :-)

driftke70
19th January 2007, 12:49 PM
you can also fit more bmx in.

DRFT - 86
19th January 2007, 12:57 PM
ahy...... half the reason I took my rear seats out was to stop people buming lifts off me........

chapl
19th January 2007, 02:37 PM

and i know some have padding but most fixed back are made of had materials and wouldnt be the best in a crash.[/b]

the real reason is because it is not reclinable, passengers are unable to get out easily incase of an accident and the like.

chapl
19th January 2007, 02:37 PM
you can also fit more bmx in.[/b]

word