PDA

View Full Version : Ps arm lock on ke's

v-tec
18th January 2007, 07:49 PM
Hi, just got my self a set of Power steering arms for my ae71, put all that in with my ne ae86 struts this afternoon.
Anyway, this to me does not look as much lock as you should get from power steering arms. Can anyone tell me (only if you actually know for sure) if this is the normal amount of lock you get? Its not hitting anything or scrubbing at all, thats full lock

[attachment=11110:attachment]

the arms are definately shorter than the old Ra60 ones that i was using (plus ra60 struts), but theyre long fuckers anyway..

It has been suggested that ke's dont get as much lock from these as ae86's do, however i have the parts most ae86's will have in their front setup.

If you have a ke and are running ae86 struts with ps arms, post up your lock as i have done... just wanna see if its the same

rthy
18th January 2007, 08:13 PM
I dont know if thats normal or not but have you considered running some lock spacers?

starni_boy
18th January 2007, 08:52 PM
are you running ae86 steering rack aswell or only power steering arms?? coz ae86 rack has more lock than ae71/ke70. most people know that anyways.

v-tec
18th January 2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks Sam i havent considered running lock spacers, only curious if this is the correct amount of lock as i could swere my mates with ae86's have more lock (i dont see why this would be just due to the fact that its difference between ae86 and ae71)

Starni, it is a ae86 rack, but they are the same as ae71 anyway

breno
18th January 2007, 08:56 PM
Since when has the steering racks been any differnt?

What control arms are you running?
Might be hitting somewhere and stopping it reaching full lock.

v-tec
18th January 2007, 08:58 PM
Sigma arms, ae86 struts. Not hitting anywere, checked it out at full lock and on the way through the process of the lock

Edit: after consulting with Ghetthoe garage head mechanic Mr Charlie angle whore san, it appears that that is quite enough lock.
it would be interesting to see pics of peoples lock from this particular setup if anyone has the time to post a photo

20sil
18th January 2007, 09:37 PM
Ill take a pic tommorow of my lock to see what it looks like stock.

Joel-AE86
18th January 2007, 09:54 PM
When I put AE86 struts with stock AE86 steering arms into my KE, it definitely reduced my lock!

Never looked at why. Running longer LCA's can give you more lock, and slap some rack spacers in as well.

anastasios
19th January 2007, 08:55 AM
yep after puttin 86 struts with ra40 steering arms into my brothers ae71 and then taking it out for a slide, the angle for drift is pretty small, what you can do is run 14in rims with some decent rubber that will allow the front to understeer through the corner instead of the front tyres pulling the car into a spin.

Hen is a total nutcase
19th January 2007, 10:56 AM
Since when has the steering racks been any differnt?[/b]
Probably since they left the factory.

I'm 100% sure that a KE70 rack has 10mm less throw than an AE86 rack. They have one less tooth cut into the rack. Externally they seem identical though.

I'd guess AE71 rack = KE70 rack, though I've never checked.

Hen

RobertoX
19th January 2007, 11:48 AM
ae71 and ke70 racks are the same

i think the panel vans have ae86 racks as mine has a lot of lock,

they also came with ae86 struts, although mine have been taken out http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif

zathunman
19th January 2007, 06:52 PM
dude, get a wheel alignment... the reason you only get so much lock is cos since you put the other arms on one side will be reaching full lock way before the other, i had the same issue when i finished my suspension upgrade.. is ued cut and welded steering arms, corona lcas, ra40 tie rods and corona struts with coilovers welded on, now that i got an alignment it has massive lock!

v-tec
19th January 2007, 07:53 PM
had a wheel alignment this morning, doesnt seem to have changed much.
I think im just in a state of not remembering how much i had before. My mates with ae86's have massive offset and the ae86 is a bit wider i think generally.
I know it is at least a bit more lock as the Ra60 steering arm was about 15mm longer

Cheers all

slydar
20th January 2007, 11:07 PM
yours looks ok really for the mods done. maybe its the rack i wouldnt be suprised if they did have a differant amount of travel.

my ke had animal amounts of lock, but i had a quick rack, which would be the same travel as an 86. we have a few spare racks if you wanna buy one. cheep cheep i reckon too.

v-tec
21st January 2007, 11:09 AM
rofl i didnt even get a chance to try out my lock today, my gay arse fucker of a car broke another loom wire.

dimitri im going to have to give you a holla about getting a new loom im sick of mine lol

Jonny Rochester
22nd January 2007, 07:04 PM
You had best get the tape measure out I think. Tell us the track width, and wheel angle at full lock. (Inside and outside wheels have a different angle). We would be interested in measurements.

starni_boy
23rd January 2007, 11:00 AM
Xe7X's have 1 less tooth than an ae86 unless you have swapped your corollas rack to a sprinter one. anyway here is a pic of my stock lock on my ke70:

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/3209/img04906uc.jpg (http://%5bURL=http://imageshack.us)]my standard lock

gottago
23rd January 2007, 01:50 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/127559.jpg

Im new to this but this is my setup on my ae86:
sigma contro larms n ra40 rack ends
3.75 degree neg camber

Jonny Rochester
23rd January 2007, 06:12 PM
Just because the AE86 rack has another tooth does not mean it would give more lock. Maybe it does have more lock, I am not sure. The lock is limited by the rack ends as they hit the housing. Someone needs to measure the outside width of the rack housing, and the width of the rack road itself. Maybe there is a KE70/AE86 difference. Also someone could measure the pinion diameter and number of teeth, this effects the ratio, maybe there is a difference?

On a normal car, AE86 or otherwise, the steering lock is limited by the rack ends hitting the rack housing. The tyres do not touch anything.

If the tyres do not touch anything currently, you could get more lock by using rack spacers, or the rack ends with the inbuild extra travel now avaliable. Also shorter knuckles (PS ones) will give more lock. (Note: if you use those rack spacers you will no longer have a lock washer, and you effect the steering rod length which may effect bump steer, something I havn't calculated yet).

If your tyres are the first thing to hit, you can get more lock by using different tyres and wheels. Or you could get more lock using longer lower control arms.

v-tec
23rd January 2007, 06:18 PM
Considering these two pics are basically form the same angle, and assuming you have stock ae86 arms in yours i would say the ps arms do get you a fair bit of lock.
i got 0 offset wheels too but theyre only 6.5's so dont think would make much difference

http://image-cache.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/uploads/post-461-1169110171.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/127559.jpg

All in all i guess its how the car handles from the difference, i would have found out on sunday at the track but my pos decided it wanted to die on me on the way up