PDA

View Full Version : brief guid to bog

sprinters_r_mad
13th February 2007, 06:35 PM
im goin to bog up the treated rust on the rear of my sprinter tomorra but i really have no idea what to do as yet

im hoping u guys could give me just a brief step-by-step guide on how to mix it and apply it and so on so forth? - a few words from the wise http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

thanks guys http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

Hen is a total nutcase
14th February 2007, 12:15 AM
1 - Do proper prep. If not you will be doing this whole process again in a few months. File/sand/brush back to bare metal. Then use rust converter. Sounds like you may have done that already.

2 - I then prime with a spray primer

3 - Read instructions on bog tin. Mix bog and apply, Try and ensure all parts are above the final surface you want. If the bog sets too quickly, don't try and keep applying it, you'll always get holes in it. Stop, wait for it to harden, then mix a new batch and continue.

4 - Take your time.

skiddz
14th February 2007, 12:39 AM
also if there is nothing behind where you have cut out the rust, put somting behind there, its ideal to put metal in there, weld it then only put a minute about of bog only to even things out and make it look good, bog=evil

20sil
14th February 2007, 06:35 AM
I like to use fiberglass on big patches of rust as bog will most likely crack and fall out.

kravit
14th February 2007, 10:09 AM
Mate i would use tiny bit as bog as possible on dents, wouldnt fill up anything deeper then 2-3cms.
Dont get into groove on eventualy sculpting out big areas of car out of bog cos it will crack.

sprinters_r_mad
14th February 2007, 10:41 AM
ill show ya where the rust is:

[attachment=11971:attachment]

it is all in that ridge inside the red ovals and as u can see its in a pretty awkward place on the car. its gonna be hard to spread bog in there and its also gonna be tricky to weld a peice of metal there coz theres is not much room

(thanks HYPNTK for the pic)

kravit
14th February 2007, 01:28 PM
Well aslong as ur not filling up holes should be fine
You can even get away with not doing it properly since bumper covers that. Aslong as rust is all gone and no holes should be fine.

sprinters_r_mad
14th February 2007, 02:03 PM
yeah thats the problem.................theres holes there and they let in exhaust fumes so thats why i need to cover them up otherwise i wouldnt bother with it

anastasios
14th February 2007, 02:06 PM
sand it all back to bare metal and get it all welded up properly will save u headaches in the long run and will be stronger

driftism
14th February 2007, 04:50 PM
you can also get bog with a small amount of metal fibres in it. this is stronger than normal bog, and should be less prone to cracking.
...or just get someone who is good with a TIG to weld all the holes up.

kravit
14th February 2007, 05:43 PM
The metal fiber bog will still crack, its gives way after about 1 month, i know from previous bog job i did.

stanzzza
14th February 2007, 06:22 PM
i've seen hole rear 1/4 boged up with out cracks for 12years it's all about how you apply it and how good the dogy panle beater is

bogs for finishing not for filling up holes thats what fiber glass is used for some matting to cover the holes then slap some fiber glass bog sand and apply normal bog sand and paint not hard just give it a shit loads of primer after the last coat of bog too keep water/shit out

if you can get it to seal right it'll be fine for years if not you'll get bubbling and water/rust traped behind the paint in a few weeks months

that or weld in a new section with a mig grind back and bog away or you can do it the mango tree way and cut a larger section out and pop rivet the new section in

just depends on how game you are and how much effort you can be farked buting in it