PDA

View Full Version : AE86 vs. AE82 power steering racks

corolla_kid
18th February 2007, 10:34 PM
I have a full power steering setup out of a ae82 twinky that im wrecking, im wondering, if the rack is possibly interchangeable with the ae86 rack as im looking at getting a hachi soon and it prob wont have power steer by the looks of it. So could i retrofit it and get new lines made up from enzed etc.?

OR, where can i find an Ae86 P/s rack and how much are they?

rthy
18th February 2007, 10:42 PM
dunno about the ae82 rack but I very much doubt it. The ae86 power racks are super rare and sought after. I have to ask why you would want power steering in a car thats so easy normally? do you run big tyres on the track or something?

Blown86
18th February 2007, 11:07 PM
I'll have a full AE86 power steering setup available in a few weeks. Perhaps it'll be an auction http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

RobertoX
19th February 2007, 01:08 PM
no

corolla_kid
19th February 2007, 08:01 PM
well wider tyre lower suspension and it could see a few carparks, but its not essential to have it, just easier ie one handed normal driving, breakfast on the go etc.

rthy
20th February 2007, 05:11 PM
oh ok, its just that I only have 185 tires but if I am on one spot I can turn the wheel with one hand and I am not that strong a guy. I guess it does come down to personal prefrence.

Blown86: chuck it on ebay, if you want to get some good cash

Jonny Rochester
20th February 2007, 06:48 PM
How "heavy" the steering feels depends alot on caster angle. With caster, you are actualy lifting the front of the car up when turning. I can change the wheel alignment to make a very heavy car have light steering with no power steering, and the other way around. Some cars have lots of caster for good handling, and this is what make power steering needed.

If you did have power steering on a AE86, it means you could use much more caster, and quicker steering, without it making the steering too heavy.