PDA

View Full Version : Weight Reduction - Some people have NO idea !...

Teddy
14th March 2007, 11:10 PM
Hi all

Quick question,.. or more a statement.

Been over the forums for along time now, usually keep quite and to myself.

Lately, ive been seeing alot of *oo ive just got a car, first thing to do is remove all the sound deading on the floor*

hahah, i just start whacking my head on the desk when i see this, considering the stock roof lining is still in place, and the subbox for example is STILL floating around in the boot.

Anyway, the point of this post is, does anyone here actually truly know what weight reduction is ? sure theres the debate of weight reduction, and weight reduction on a budget;

Seriously, *a good job of* weight reduction to me is more than removing carpet and sound deading.

Things like..

Work out if its structural or a requirement of the car in some way or another.
if not structural, start to go crazy - to a point. EG. Remove all carpet, all bum fur, roof lining, all plastics, all sound deading, all excessive body sealer. Die-Grind all the metal overhangs from metal panels that have been welded from factory. Remove every 2nd bolt in the guards, and then remove a small portion of metal from the inside of each of those remanding bolts. Remove mudflaps, exterior moldings, spoilers (i doubt your rice spoiler does jack anyway), Remove dashboard and skin. Dis-assemble. Hole saw as many holes in dash bord underneath as possible then re-assemble.

Remove excessive metal lips on dash brackets. Re-locate as much weight as possible to middle and low as possible of vehicle.

ETC.
What do you guys think? or is it just trendy these days to remove carpet & sound deading + spray the floor & keep the stock seats?

lol..

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/blink.gif

Driftspec
14th March 2007, 11:40 PM
The best weight reduction you could do is remove the drivers seat, and thus the driver, entirely...

j/k

It seems trendy, but I haven't seen it done a huge amount. Usually they are a work in progress.

A lot of people take weight reduction seriously, and will take out pretty much everything that isn't necessary. They are normally track cars, not daily drivers. My car, for example, is my driver. I have a sound system, all carpets, lining, seats etc intact. Probably put the car up to about 900-950kg if not higher. Point is, it depends on what the person wants the car to be, or what it already is.

Could just be a fashion thing too, I was never fashionable, what would I know...

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

driftke70
15th March 2007, 12:39 AM
In my red ke i stripped everything i could, in my new ke i was even going to go the plexy glass route and gut the back doors out, all that sort of jive, but the interior was too good to touch,

my motto on weight reduction is all or nothing. But this works to a certain degree, like i rarely drive with a full tank, i dont carry a spare unless im leaving the area, i keep my car clean (a few half full water bottles does its thing). I can definately feel my car is a tad slower off the mark and not as punchy but that can be a m isguided feeling due to the quietness inside the cab.

But teddy as long as people are having fun it doesnt matter, and it all helps,

ae86hachiroku
15th March 2007, 12:51 AM
best object weight reduction is frp doors.. saving 20-25kgs each side is insane

FLT LNR
15th March 2007, 02:12 AM
/\ true, and the frp bonnet weight saving was staggering.

but why bag people for stripping the carpets and deadening? we're talking about cheap relatively low powered cars. the performance difference is practically noticable depending on whether or not youve taken a crap that morning. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wtf.gif

the carpet and tar is easy and free $$ to do. that is the one answer to your rant. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sleepy.gif

Teddy
15th March 2007, 08:04 AM
lol

i think the thing that kind of got me was, it takes ALOT of effort to remove the seats, then the tar, then clean it, then re-enstall the seats when garinted a seat bolt will strip; yet other things are left which could still be removed, that dont cost anything.

hahah yeah, its all in good fun for things to happen, but at the end of the day, if for example you JUST removed the tar and carpet; would you really noteus a difference? Or would it be a real physolcal difference ?

Ill upload some pictures of the rally car, and give you an idea of what Really_light is. Back in NZ, it was some chunk under 800kg in full rally trim, with driver and Nav, full tank of fuel.. etc.

*searches for pictures*

balistic
15th March 2007, 09:29 AM
Mine is pretty light at the moment! Half way through stripping the sound deadening. I estimate it weighs about 20-30kg all up, but does take a little effort to remove!

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/134423.jpg

The only thing going back in is a cage, drivers seat, part of the dash, lightweight door trims for safety and a fire extinguisher! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

jdmcoupe
15th March 2007, 09:37 AM
lol

i think the thing that kind of got me was, it takes ALOT of effort to remove the seats, then the tar, then clean it, then re-enstall the seats when garinted a seat bolt will strip; yet other things are left which could still be removed, that dont cost anything.

hahah yeah, its all in good fun for things to happen, but at the end of the day, if for example you JUST removed the tar and carpet; would you really noteus a difference? Or would it be a real physolcal difference ?

Ill upload some pictures of the rally car, and give you an idea of what Really_light is. Back in NZ, it was some chunk under 800kg in full rally trim, with driver and Nav, full tank of fuel.. etc.

*searches for pictures*[/b]

Teddy ur on the money... id luv to see these pics...

chapl
15th March 2007, 10:03 AM
like i rarely drive with a full tank[/b]

you realise this is bad??
running on half a tank all the time builds up moisture which causes rust..
i bet your fuel filter is fucked...

dr1ft-pig
15th March 2007, 10:06 AM
my ae86 at the moment is a work in progress (20v conversion) coz i have lost my licnce.... when i first cameoff the road i hadnt much money to do my conversion... so i started stripping the interior n shit i have nothing at all behind the front seats no trim no carpet no seats no nothing i did that and took the a/c off my 16v and it made a massive difference i could clutch it on acorner in the dry in 3rd and would light up where as before u would have to keep kicking to get it to try and light up..... so in my eyes the cheap side of weight reduction does make a difference....

my 2c, brendan

jdmcoupe
15th March 2007, 10:30 AM
^^^^ dumbest thing i have ever heard

ke70dave
15th March 2007, 12:54 PM
^^^funiest reply ive read today (jdm coupe)

yeah my view on weight reduction is this
(note this is for a registered car with intent to go on track maybe every few months)

its a street car, not a race car, my interiour is gonna be staying 100% intact!!

A ) i cant be bothered pulling it all out
B ) i dont wanna feel like im in a tin can in winter
C ) say you manage to pull 50kg of stuff out of your car, and the car is i dunno, 900kg, thats like 5%. is it worth the uncomfort and pay out by from your mates for 5% weight saving. my figures are prolly all wrong anyway. but you get the idea.

btw i havnet looked into new doors or whatever, but from what ive heard they do save a stack of weight (as mentioned above) im only talkin about removing stuff.

also i like my music, sub box is staying http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

if i had a dedicated track car that went on a trailer. then yeah id be ripping stuff out, making everything from fiberglass or whatever is nice and light.

so i guess i have an "all or nothing" oppinion. where all = track, and nothing = street ..... http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

my 2c anyway

Konakid
15th March 2007, 01:03 PM
All or nothing FTW, some valid points also made, no point in just doing the carpet + deadner...

While the 71 is defected all i can do is make it lighter, so far:

(Actual Weights)
Sub - 10kg
Spare + jack - 13kg
A/C condenser + bay piping - 8kg
A/C motor - 7kg
Parcel Shelf + rear door trims - 3kg
Rear Seats - 13kg
Deadner removed so far (30%) - 6kg's

Total saving of 60kgs

Works out to be 900kgs standard down to around 840 - 850 or around 6.5% weight saving. This is definately noticable in a straight line

Still left to do is:
rear belts - ~3kg
Carpet - ~3kg
Bonnet webbing - ~5kg

so around 70kgs lighter than stock....worth it IMO

EDIT: street car btw

rthy
15th March 2007, 01:03 PM
dont u mean all = street and nothing = track?

driftke70
15th March 2007, 01:09 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=324140)

[/b]

I bet i drained and flushed my tank out and put a new fuel filter in about 4 days ago http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

what you are saying is correct to a certain degree, except for the fact that fuel isnt a hydroscopic substance, it deters water it doesnt absorb it, so moisture build up is a rare occurance that can only happen due to expansion and compression of the fuel tank creating pressure differences and in some cases a vacuum, and if its raining or a high humidity day or what ever of course moisture is going to go into your tank, but the same occurs if your running a full tank, just to a slightly lesser extent.

What im trying to say is, its somthing you just shouldnt worry about.

balistic
15th March 2007, 01:17 PM
Ethanol absorbs water - so run some Shell Vpower Racing which has 10% ethanol and say bye bye to water in your tank http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

..back on topic - guys spend $100's and even $1000's of dollars on bolt on components to improve performance by a fraction - removing weight is one of the best ways to improve performance, its basically free and relatively easy so why not do it if thats what you want? It makes more sense than some of the mods I see people spending money on!

What I dont get is, when guys rip they're interior out, sound deadening etc. as though they are on a huge weight saving program - then bolt on a bunch of big shiny heavy wheels and other heavy useless parts which have no performance value what so ever! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

chapl
15th March 2007, 01:32 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=324193)

[/b]

I bet i drained and flushed my tank out and put a new fuel filter in about 4 days ago http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

what you are saying is correct to a certain degree, except for the fact that fuel isnt a hydroscopic substance, it deters water it doesnt absorb it, so moisture build up is a rare occurance that can only happen due to expansion and compression of the fuel tank creating pressure differences and in some cases a vacuum, and if its raining or a high humidity day or what ever of course moisture is going to go into your tank, but the same occurs if your running a full tank, just to a slightly lesser extent.

What im trying to say is, its somthing you just shouldnt worry about.
[/b]

no worries http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

thanhngo
15th March 2007, 02:12 PM
I can certainly feel the weight of an extra person in the car, so removing the passenger is a start http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif If you can feel the "weight" of an extra person you could certain feel the difference of ~60-70 kilos subtraction from your car. Lighter you can get, the better so you do need to take weight reduction seriously if you want to make signifcant improvements.

Lightness is one advantage of the ae86, exploit it.

squish
15th March 2007, 02:31 PM
go on a diet

slide86
15th March 2007, 04:52 PM
couldnt agree more on what u are saying teddy!
drift spec interior is a trend every 2nd ke and 86 has it
but like u said still cruising around with there sub boxes and stock heavy seats etc!

its become quite sad lol

gottago
15th March 2007, 05:35 PM
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/1740/1001353rw4.jpg

no carpet, no roof lining no rear seat or belts. no rear trims at all, have door trims and dash still in place. sparco sprints. spare and jack stay in.. its a st driven car.. ill have to weight it again see what it weights without the rear seats in it.

i weight 84kg so maybe ill measure it will full tank and me in the car, to get an accurate weight...

hmm

who's got the lighest ae86 and what u got left in it? http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

oldeskewltoy
15th March 2007, 05:46 PM
Why do you lighten a car?? for added performance, or added coolness??? Removing the entire interior and then leaving speakers and a stereo, heater, glove box, blower motor just doesn't make sense... either its a street car... or its a track car...

Whats your use??? track car.... what is required by YOUR series regulations???

Tube frame is lightest and strongest... Some cars can be stripped of everything, I'd surmise the Kraft Trueno may weighs in dry as light as 600 kilos... that would likely be without the ballast.....

Street use... keep it all and build 20 hp more into your ride to compensate... it is well worth it

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/134407.jpg

I've also got a Fujitsubo and the tone is pure music, yet I can have a conversation with my wife if I choose too.... Woman like interiors.... even woman who race like interiors... bare, exposed, floors, ceilings, dashboards with sub rolling around ISN'T going to get you laid!

AmyC
15th March 2007, 06:03 PM
I didnt think we stripped interiors to get laid i thought we did it to make the car lighter ?

Konakid
15th March 2007, 07:05 PM
I didnt think we stripped interiors to get laid i thought we did it to make the car lighter ?[/b]

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif Exactly.

Some people also like the 'race car' feel in their street car which a stripped interior gives, i know i certainly do.

Women...ahmmm.... well... people who own 86's don't build them to pick up chicks, they build them for performance reasons, hence the stripped interior. Picking up chicks in cars: thats for the "19's on my s15 broooo itz got cream interior n' shit fully retrimmed" crowd, this quite obviously doesn't apply to people who modify AE's and KE's.

You say "just get another 20hp to compensate" it doesn't work like that. weight saving gives improved performance in all areas such braking, acceleration, handling and fuel econmy http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif Obtaining "just another 20hp" may be as simple as winding up the boost in some cars but apply the theory to the 4age and it doesn't work. Take someone who has their 4age with cams, pod, pipes and ecu, if they want another 20hp then its going to cost thousands of dollars to get that bit extra via a rebuild. Alternitavely they could strip their car of weight to get the desired performance increase and therefore save money that can be put towards other parts.

you seem to have misunderstood the term "track car", track car means that the car is used in drift/grip events, at a non competitive level in the case of grip, in which "series regulations" do not apply.

ben_shoe
15th March 2007, 07:53 PM
IMO it is totally worht stripping the interior, i had to do it to get my rust cut out, so i took it to a weighbridge, and it weighed in at 1000kg exact without driver and with quarter tank of petrol. I stripped the interior and sound deadening, not including up behind the dash cause i couldnt be bothered, and i took it back and it weighed in at 920kg. If i took out power steer and a/c it would be even lighter. Anyway i put everything back in after as i had to carry passengers and ithe difference was noticable to say the least. It was crap my car felt slower in a straight line and had more body roll through corners. It wasnt even that noisy when i had the interior stripped , i could listen to my 2x 4inch speaker system just fine and hold a conversation. If i didnt have to carry passengers some times i would never go back!

What im saying is, it is a reasonably small sacrifice to strip your interior for some tangible gains. And even though i havent cut my panels and bolts in half, i think 80kg, almost 10 percent of total weight, is a major weight saving for a very small amount of work.

btw i didnt even have a spare tyre or jack or anything to start with so that 80kg was all in carpets, seats and tar.

Teddy
15th March 2007, 10:24 PM
For example, to how extream im talking with weight reduction;

Re Pic -

1) Paint strip entire inside of car, and undercoat 1ce only.

A - Remove boot spring
B - Add a few small holes here, provided they still keep structual strength
C - Hand file 1mm 45° edges on top of shockie nut & bolt
D - Dremel this line down, then hand file. It over laps at top and bottom. Remove overlap
E- Dremel the folded edge down the entire way along about 2mm deep
F - Same as E
G - Remove all the top body sealer down to the start of the vally.
H - Remove all clips, replce clips with 1 or 2 small zip ties. Do this for entire loom on car. Also remove all the tape from the loom, and tape wires up in sections 1 wrap at a time.
I - Dremel about 2mm more out of the 2 bumper access holes.
J - Dremel about 3ish? mm more out around fuel hole
K - Air wizz & pads all the edges off these mounds throughout the entire boot, only about 1 / 2 mm's worth

Re- undercoat bair surfaces 1ce only. Give once over with 2000 grit wet n dry.

Now, take into consideration if i did this to a car, it would be seam welded, then excess welds gownd off, in conjunction with a rollcage for safety and stability with the lightness.

This is just the boot. Do you see what im getting at?

harrygat69
15th March 2007, 11:09 PM
For example, to how extream im talking with weight reduction;

Re Pic -

1) Paint strip entire inside of car, and undercoat 1ce only.

A - Remove boot spring
B - Add a few small holes here, provided they still keep structual strength
C - Hand file 1mm 45° edges on top of shockie nut & bolt
D - Dremel this line down, then hand file. It over laps at top and bottom. Remove overlap
E- Dremel the folded edge down the entire way along about 2mm deep
F - Same as E
G - Remove all the top body sealer down to the start of the vally.
H - Remove all clips, replce clips with 1 or 2 small zip ties. Do this for entire loom on car. Also remove all the tape from the loom, and tape wires up in sections 1 wrap at a time.
I - Dremel about 2mm more out of the 2 bumper access holes.
J - Dremel about 3ish? mm more out around fuel hole
K - Air wizz & pads all the edges off these mounds throughout the entire boot, only about 1 / 2 mm's worth

Re- undercoat bair surfaces 1ce only. Give once over with 2000 grit wet n dry.

Now, take into consideration if i did this to a car, it would be seam welded, then excess welds gownd off, in conjunction with a rollcage for safety and stability with the lightness.

This is just the boot. Do you see what im getting at?[/b]

^^^^ is this guy serious dude just take a shit in the morning and get your hair cut a bit shorter weight saving is one thing but stupidity is another .
i agree there is no point pulling out carpet and tar while leaving a sub box in there, leave the interior intact and take the sub box out when u wana race but my street 86 still has a/c front half of carpet ( i couldnt be bothered fitting the new rear half) and all the tar still in there with leather seats etc i have a space saver spare and wheel brace but no jack!(dont ask me why)
but my daily driver ke70 has all carpet, tar, unessesary wiring, rear seat,seatbelts, a/c , pedal pads, bonnet webbing, boot webbing, spare wheel, wheel brace, jack, ash trays, sterio, speakers clutch fan, fan shroud, all removed but ive left the roof lineing and pillar mouldings so it still looks sort of respectable and doesnt get too cold in winter my guess is ive removed bout 80-90 kg and it is easily noticable in braking, cornering, and accelerating and most importantly fuel economy (approx 7.8l/100klm . on another note my jza 80 supra is all complete with subs amps and sterio etc and its just fine like that because it already does everything good. i say let people do what they want its there cars and money most of them will get over the noisy tin can effect and buy a standard car one day but lets play untill then

flamingheads
15th March 2007, 11:13 PM
I agree that just taking out the carpet and sound deadener and back seat out is prettyt silly. If you're going to go that far you may as well go the whole way and take out everything unneccesary that takes up weight. I wouldn't bother taking the edges off bolts but things like taking out the heater (if you don't need it) and aircon and stuff like that would give some decent saving but people say they just can't be bothered.
I agree with whoever said its an all or nothing job.

Teddy
15th March 2007, 11:15 PM
^^ Calm down sunshine http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

lol.. i dont think i put in there "im doing this to my car" or "ive done this to my car"

I couldnt really care about weight as such for my daily ke70. As long as its got a few creature comforts, then im happy.

IF i was building a track ke70 or Ae86, that would be different.

ae86hachiroku
15th March 2007, 11:25 PM
people removing things dont really bother me but there ARE a lot of rice boys who do it when they don't even go racing, which is lame.
But what is annoying when people say their car weighs 800kg when it is obviously no where near.. it takes pretty insane measure to get there.. everything like hatch, bonnet, doors need to be replaced with frp/carbon.. pretty much anything that doesnt need to be there when racing needs to be out.. then you can get 800kg..

static
16th March 2007, 12:03 AM
I dare say some of you missed the point...if its your car do wateva the farq you want. Im not the one who has to live with it. We turn into some judgemental little shits when were sitting at home bashing away on our keyboards like the racers we all like to think we are.
I for one just ripped the carpet out of the spoonta coz it was shagged. I cant justify $200 to replace something I can live with it. Does that make me a rice boy?
To me its just cheap fun...i do wateva I can to make it more fun

oldeskewltoy
16th March 2007, 01:55 AM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=324319)

I didnt think we stripped interiors to get laid i thought we did it to make the car lighter ?[/b]

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif Exactly.

Some people also like the 'race car' feel in their street car which a stripped interior gives, i know i certainly do.

Women...ahmmm.... well... people who own 86's don't build them to pick up chicks, they build them for performance reasons, hence the stripped interior. Picking up chicks in cars: thats for the "19's on my s15 broooo itz got cream interior n' shit fully retrimmed" crowd, this quite obviously doesn't apply to people who modify AE's and KE's.

You say "just get another 20hp to compensate" it doesn't work like that. weight saving gives improved performance in all areas such braking, acceleration, handling and fuel econmy http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif Obtaining "just another 20hp" may be as simple as winding up the boost in some cars but apply the theory to the 4age and it doesn't work. Take someone who has their 4age with cams, pod, pipes and ecu, if they want another 20hp then its going to cost thousands of dollars to get that bit extra via a rebuild. Alternitavely they could strip their car of weight to get the desired performance increase and therefore save money that can be put towards other parts.

you seem to have misunderstood the term "track car", track car means that the car is used in drift/grip events, at a non competitive level in the case of grip, in which "series regulations" do not apply.
[/b]

Lighten up duude. You are correct... savng weight will improve all those things.... but more than half of the stripped cars would benefit more from catching up on missed maintanence and routene repairs to improve handling, braking, and acceleration. For example, 7 of 10 cars have worn out bushings.... throw a set of bushings in and you'll improve all 3 too

race drivers chop the wheel nuts in half for weight reduction....[/b]
race drivers sit on their "assets"... MOST have no "F"en clue what to do other than drive..........

distant00
16th March 2007, 01:55 AM
race drivers chop the wheel nuts in half for weight reduction....

kravit
16th March 2007, 09:33 AM
Not sure if anyone posted this, but best weight reduction is going into gym and losing some weight on yourself aswell.

balistic
16th March 2007, 09:38 AM
I make sure I take a crap before I get in the car - its amazing what those few grams less weight can do for the cars performance! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

albertos
16th March 2007, 10:28 AM
yeh i always take of my belt of and make sure im wearing thin socks

nah just kidding but i do have no rear seats and carpet as it was moldy and ripped and thats were my wheels and a fuel drum sit on the way out to track days
so rice me up
and sound deadner will be coming out as soon as the next work experience kid comes in

AE71GZE
16th March 2007, 11:38 AM
^^^haha slave driver !

noodles
16th March 2007, 12:33 PM
I stripped the carpet and seats out of the KE cos i wanted to be cool... plus i pull horrendous chicks on a pretty regular basis so i was trying to offset the weight penalty of having phat biatches (no wait... i meant fat bitches) in the car.

stinger_007
16th March 2007, 12:50 PM
i traded my 60 kg GF in for a 42 kg model.

Saves me going to the gym.

Sprinterboy
16th March 2007, 04:24 PM
I only run bald tyres cos theyre lighter, have an aluminium rod instead of a steering wheel, replaced all glass with gladwrap, filled the washer bottle up with helium, replaced the fuel tank with a balloon, shaved all the hair off my body, removed my fingernails, appendix, tonsils, pinky fingers and all my toes but the big ones....

Doesn't bother me much but gladwrap vibrates a bit with my two 15 inch subwoofers.

Gilly
16th March 2007, 04:36 PM
^^^^ Quote of the year right there. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

i did it as i had a cage. did it in my 70 (first one) and ended up putting an interior in.

both look fat with no interior, better again caged.

weight loss?? not enough IMO

people do it for looks and thats cool if thats what you want to do. you have to drive it every day http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

mattysshop
16th March 2007, 05:47 PM
i have recently removed all the deadner from my AE92 racer... to yield a total of 8kg's ...... absolute waste of my time me thinks... especially as most of the weight is low and center... more weight was saved cleaning up some of the hack job wiring for the 20v...

plastic trims and door cards will net approx the same also... for this reason i'm keeping them in.. but rear seats go for race days... all non essential equipment like speakers.. spare/jack/tools.. some carpet boot lining and plastic back there are gone already..

plus some unnesessary brackets off the engine.. like the ac/pwr steer brackets off the motor.. also battery... i always run a bigger battery than i need to in road cars.. never know when your gonna need that extra CCA... but in a race car the tinyest battery available to do the job.. and as i do not wish to spend a few hundred $$$ on a small odessey which would be idel... i have chosen a small off the shelf 275CCA.. and in the process of transferring to the boot... partially to simply create more room for the air intake..

wheels are current shape rolla 15" steelies... none of this gaybo bling bling here...

air intake and brackets/adaptors are ally... not stainless vtec yo..

washer bottle meh... doesn't work.. so that gone..

stock steering wheels are also kinda heavy.. as they incorporate steel bar mig welded all together etc etc.. where as your off the shelf 3 spoke race wheel is quite light.. mine is replaced by a momo 3 spoke that came in my levin when it hit the shores..

1 thing that i kept purley for neatness... is the carpet.. all the bum fluff off the back is gone.. but the carpet itself only weight that of a 600ml coke... so i placed it back in... the 5kg of dirt and weed that was vaccumed off it however didn';t make it back into the car...

thats so far.. and alot more tidying up of these electrics etc etc is yet to be done..

dr1ft-pig
16th March 2007, 06:31 PM
^^^^ dumbest thing i have ever heard[/b]

jdmcoupe.....you ARE a fuckwit...

my 2c once again...

jdmcoupe
16th March 2007, 07:02 PM
^^^^ about as dumb as the first post u did

driftism
16th March 2007, 07:39 PM
i removed the tar deadening in my escort when i fixed up some rust, and then quickly got sick of the LOUD NOISES and decided not to do it on any more cars. Unfortunately all the hachi's ive bought since have had it removed.
The only reason i remove my back seats is cos i have having to drive around more than one person... saves petrol a lot of the time! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

dr1ft-pig
16th March 2007, 07:59 PM
^^^^ about as dumb as the first post u did[/b]

man u really are a fuckwit.... this topic is about weight reduction not being a fuckwit, i was proving a point that the shit does make a difference... so if u got nothing positive to say towards this thread... simply fuck off go spam somewhere else...

Spirited Away
16th March 2007, 10:48 PM
hahaha this thread is stupid who the fuk really cares if someone disagrees with there idea on to leave or not to leave
stripping=for more performance
leaving= for a2b drivers

simple

James86
16th March 2007, 11:18 PM
why dont you stop worrying about what other people are doing to their cars and do what you want to yours.

I took out my rear seats, belts and all sound deadener because i was going to lay new carpet in the front and i wanted the rear to be painted and look good. But the main reason was to save weight, ive taken out a good 60kgs worth of interior, basically up front where i sit is still intact, behind me doesnt matter so its minimal. And i can notice a difference everytime a passnger jumps in, and ive basically removed an average persons weight.

But this thread is stupid, who cares if some idiot stripped there interior but has a sub....the world is full of losers/idiots its not like ricers are a new thing.

dr1ft-pig
16th March 2007, 11:36 PM
hahaha this thread is stupid who the fuk really cares if someone disagrees with there idea on to leave or not to leave
stripping=for more performance
leaving= for a2b drivers

simple[/b]

why dont you stop worrying about what other people are doing to their cars and do what you want to yours.

I took out my rear seats, belts and all sound deadener because i was going to lay new carpet in the front and i wanted the rear to be painted and look good. But the main reason was to save weight, ive taken out a good 60kgs worth of interior, basically up front where i sit is still intact, behind me doesnt matter so its minimal. And i can notice a difference everytime a passnger jumps in, and ive basically removed an average persons weight.

But this thread is stupid, who cares if some idiot stripped there interior but has a sub....the world is full of losers/idiots its not like ricers are a new thing.[/b]

spirited away... exactly right.... my car is for a daily but i like it stripped...my car i do what i like.... without fuckwits telling me its dumb....

james 86... i have stripped pretty much the same as you.....and im sure u agree it does make a difference....so jdm coupe "why dont you stop worrying about what other people are doing to their cars and do what you want to yours."^^....

my 2c

Teddy
16th March 2007, 11:49 PM
wow, its amazing how many people get emotional over 1 thread.

hahah..

Konakid
17th March 2007, 12:02 AM
I only run bald tyres cos theyre lighter, have an aluminium rod instead of a steering wheel, replaced all glass with gladwrap, filled the washer bottle up with helium, replaced the fuel tank with a balloon, shaved all the hair off my body, removed my fingernails, appendix, tonsils, pinky fingers and all my toes but the big ones....

Doesn't bother me much but gladwrap vibrates a bit with my two 15 inch subwoofers.[/b]

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif Classic!

Fair enough that people do what they want but the facts are there:

- stripping just the deadner + carpet and nothing else is a waste of time.

- stripping 60+ kg's of weight for no financial cost is beneficial and DOES make a difference.

- stripping then leaving the sub in the car is also quite stupid.

- stripping for the ladies should only be done in the bedroom...

dr1ft-pig
17th March 2007, 12:10 AM
- stripping for the ladies should only be done in the bedroom...[/b]

so true so true

squish
17th March 2007, 12:49 AM
stripping and leaving sub in is like just having no sub at all with interior http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

Konakid
17th March 2007, 01:17 AM
stripping and leaving sub in is like just having no sub at all with interior http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif[/b]

Exactly my point..... http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

Kerryx
17th March 2007, 10:32 AM
If you run fixed back seats and a cage, its illegal to have rear seats anyway? Guess thats a reason to remove the rear seats. Rest of it just looks cool http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

bahnugget
17th March 2007, 11:24 AM
my word this forum is full of whiney little idiots innit? sheesh.

Teddy
17th March 2007, 12:11 PM
^^ ill pay that http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/crazy.gif

mc68
17th March 2007, 12:25 PM
yep, this forum has gona abit down hill

and ill agree with teddy 100% , those tiny things ad up to a big diference...

seeing as you're not allowed lexan windows, non standard panels (theres alot to take out of the boot, and the webbing of the bonnet) or fibreglass doors in clubman rallys, hell i dont even think group A is allowed to change the panels so much.

we must find other ways of keeping it down, another thing is a moly cage, but thats only if you can afford it!

anastasios
17th March 2007, 12:44 PM
yea i decided to take off the headrests in my stock 70 the other day and it clutches in 3rd like takumi all day long....matt hasnt said anything wrong and actually drive his car on the track how about people stop giving shit and understand from peoples experiences, cutting random metal out of your car is only going to make it structually weaker and no wonder we are losing all our good members to other forums

Kerryx
17th March 2007, 01:44 PM
yea i decided to take off the headrests in my stock 70 the other day and it clutches in 3rd like takumi all day long...[/b]

hahahahahahaha damn.. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

flamingheads
17th March 2007, 03:06 PM
Thats another thing that annoys me is people stripping all the sound deadener out of their cars, realising they can't live with the loudness and selling them on to someone else who has to live with it.
True some people might like having a stripped car but think about whether you can live with the constant drone on the highway or whatever.

I know I'm whinging but I'm in a whinging mood so feel free to flame me or whatever.

And Mattyshop, I think I saw your ae92 at QR a few weeks ago. It was going really well as I remember. The steelies really give it that hardcore racer not ricer style.

MINIHORSE
17th March 2007, 04:05 PM
i traded my 60 kg GF in for a 42 kg model.

Saves me going to the gym.[/b]

second that, -50kg ftw, also fit under car for maintenance purposes alot better, who needs a jack

Gilly
17th March 2007, 05:23 PM
seriously who gives a fuck?!?!?

lets all make witty slurs at each other so we look all cool in front of these people we've never met, fuk yeah lets do that.....

dr1ft-pig
17th March 2007, 06:00 PM
can we?? please gilly...

Teddy
17th March 2007, 06:39 PM
i think i opened a can of worms.. eeek.

rthy
17th March 2007, 06:48 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/NousaniePage1.jpg

rthy
17th March 2007, 06:51 PM
Remove rear seats and replace with...

http://www.diefotohomepage.de/auto/subwoofer/images/autohifi2.jpg

rthy
17th March 2007, 06:51 PM
Remove door handles and replace with..

http://www.diefotohomepage.de/auto/subwoofer/images/autohifi3.jpg

Konakid
17th March 2007, 11:53 PM
This thread is hilarious....

Gilly
18th March 2007, 09:39 AM
sik install

jono86
18th March 2007, 10:11 AM
fully....

James86
18th March 2007, 10:21 AM
^you mean fu11y

driftke70
18th March 2007, 12:31 PM
i think everyone is entitled to an opinion, but whether or not these should be expressed is a different question. Some people need to learn to bite their tongue.

ke70dave
18th March 2007, 12:44 PM
ohh well i just read the whole thread again, pure entertainment right there!

im loving the keyboard wars, the maturity is just oozing out

anyone would think you guys are all talking about billy karts you made from a potato box and stuck on wheely-bin wheels!!

i think its time to start respecting people a little more, if some guy wants to do this-or-that to their car, and thinks its cool, who are you/me to knock him down for it!!!

let everyone have their individual fun, and try out their theorys on ways to get from home to maccas in 3secs less

do what you want with your cars!

have fun, and just dont make your car dangerous http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

also: rthy - those installs are nuts!! might consider one in the ke, might use those carbon sub woofers, they are light weight aren't they?

rthy
18th March 2007, 01:20 PM
only if your totally addicted to bass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0teP99JFwjs

floody31
21st March 2007, 04:50 PM
For fucks sake, the interiors in ALL your cars weigh 3/5ths of fuck all* and will make about the same difference by removing them. Change seats, remove rear seat and trim if you're not using it maybe, but yeah...A month of eating better and you'd crap all over the weight loss you'd get from chipping out deadener and sealant without the pain.

What a joke. I don't give a shit what joe bloggs does or doesn't do to his car because....because its NOT MINE!

* Comparatively speaking. As an example, race sprintang would be in the low 900kg range gutted and caged up etc from being a mid 900kg car. R31 coupes went from 1450kg in street trim to mid 1200kgs in race trim. Little 'yotas don't have heavy arse interiors and piles of useless shit in them, because they were cheap, light economy cars.

Benny
7th July 2008, 04:34 AM
Oooooooooollllllld topic.

One year on, what are we doing to improve the weight of our hachis these days? I'll post up my thoughts when I have had a good mornings sleep(been on this fkn site for like 12 hours straight now ffs).

dewar
7th July 2008, 07:23 AM
Unless your car is going to be for Track theres not much point.

If its going to be our daily simply take out everything in your boot - but keep a bottle of water, oil, tyre repair kit.
A jack & tyre alone saves massive weight not to mention all the trims and etc in there.

and if your still wanting to go more reduction then i'd go removing carpet and tar.
but also look at yourself in the mirror (i weight just on 88kg and I'm 5'10) so for me i'd rather loose my own weight haha

Ru-iki
7th July 2008, 09:54 AM
With my AE71, I stripped the carpet, ac and vents, firewall foam and top layer of deadening on the foam, dash face, cluster, back seat bumrest, console, door teims, pillar plastics, boot vinyl and carpet, back seat support board, front gaurd inners and kick panels. I left the deadening.

With a full tank of fuel and myself in the car it weighs 1060kg.
Less 95kg for me
less 15kg for minus tool bag
less 12kg for the spare and jack
less 5kg for the back seat backrest
less 10kg for the passenger seat.

I love my sound deadening. Helps keep the road noise down and also keeps the heat from the exhaust from scorching the floor and the passengers feet.

So thats my AE71 down to around 930kgish depending on fuel load.

Thats about as light as they get without drilling and grinding everything thats not important, and removing the sound deadening from the floor.

Note, I weighed the car myself. That is what it weighs. The idea that an AE71 weighs any less than that is way off.

Ive been told by another member that his ke70, with everything in it except the sound deadening, even with carpet was 750kg and I had to laugh. It never ceases to amaze me how many funny facts and figures people come up with. Some people have the deadening weighing 13kg when they remove it, others more like 30kg.

So people be realistic, don't estimate the weight of your car when you can go to a weigh bridge and weigh it like I did.

Benny
7th July 2008, 02:23 PM
h i t o r i k o, my car is race only use. Hence why I want to know EVERYTHING that can be done to remove weight... It's almost like you have to state that in every topic or members here don't understand lol..

I've removed carpet, trim around the entire car, all plastics and vinyls, all clips, any random metal brackets that can be taken off without having to be cut off, dash, sound deadening, rear seats, front seats. Planning on only reinstalling drivers until my cf buckets come in, they weigh fuck all so theres no issue there. Just looking to see what else I can do to lose the excess weight. Theres the inner *skin* of the interior, the random metal bits where the jack was etc. in the boot, how bad would it be to cut it out? Looks like it weighs a bit.. Maybe weld some aluminium in there instead..

Also read somewhere that there was a heap of tar on the underbody? how would one go about removing that? :D If I didnt have an engine, box and diff i'd probably just get a matress and flip it..

djscheppy
7th July 2008, 02:36 PM
i think weight reduction is when you don't let fat chicks into your car :)

h1_roll4
7th July 2008, 07:35 PM
my opinion.

its a corolla, its not that heavy to start with compared with say, a skyline or silvia.

*E7*'s especially. my panel van has the weight printed on the side, its 812kg
a sedan can't weigh to much more,

i don't think its worth it unless your building your car to be a full race track driven car

Benny
7th July 2008, 07:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (h1_roll4 @ Jul 7 2008, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=557915)</div>
my opinion.

its a corolla, its not that heavy to start with compared with say, a skyline or silvia.

*E7*'s especially. my panel van has the weight printed on the side, its 812kg
a sedan can't weigh to much more,

i don't think its worth it unless your building your car to be a full race track driven car[/b]
Funny you say that :whistling:

driftke70
7th July 2008, 07:51 PM
saying your better off losing weight is just stupid, why don't you do both.

90% of the people on this site don't drive hard enough to justify, more than 10% of the people on this page strip their interiors. 60% run 4ac's.

In the end if your car does what you want it to for you, then so be it. Mines stripped because its how i want it, i can hear two bosch motorsport pumps in my cabin, cause thats how i like it, i can hear every bump from rose jointed rear end, cause thats how i like it.

It depends on 1000s of thing, like if you have a daily, if your girl friend whinges, if your a pussy, a fad junkie what ever.

Benny
7th July 2008, 07:54 PM
I don't get it..

I'M BUILDING AN ALL OUT TRACK CAR, GIVE ME PROPER WAYS TO REDUCE WEIGHT IN MY CAR.

Stop with all the fkn bullshit ffs. What it is about forums that make people talk so much shit?

MountainRunner
7th July 2008, 07:54 PM
for track days i remove passanger seat rears seats everything from boot and center console thats about 100kg all up i think ?
cars weights around 950kg maybe so 950 - 100 850 then my weight which is 60kg so cars about 910kg for track with me in the car :D!

driftke70
7th July 2008, 08:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benny @ Jul 7 2008, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=557946)</div>
I don't get it..

I'M BUILDING AN ALL OUT TRACK CAR, GIVE ME PROPER WAYS TO REDUCE WEIGHT IN MY CAR.

Stop with all the fkn bullshit ffs. What it is about forums that make people talk so much shit?[/b]

firstly because we know your not

secondly because if you were you would have a pretty good idea

thirdly it depends on your money effort ability ratio

McDrlft
7th July 2008, 08:14 PM
biggest waste of time ever sound deadening wieghs less then 2 kilo's , well out of my brothers s13

Benny
7th July 2008, 08:15 PM
I wasn't having a go at you, just the entire forum community, spanning across every forum on the interwebz.

How do you think people learn if they don't do their research? I'm asking for advice. Is that not ok anymore?

86's sound deadening weighs more, hence why we do it :)

ke70dave
7th July 2008, 08:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benny @ Jul 7 2008, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=557946)</div>
I don't get it..

Stop with all the fkn bullshit ffs. What it is about forums that make people talk so much shit?[/b]

dude enough with the track car thing!

just go look at your car, and think up ways yourself! :2thumbs:

theres not much to it

if it looks like its not usefull...pull it out...if it looks like you can make it out of something lighter...then do it....

just don't pull out/change stuff thats gonna kill you, and make sure you put decent safety gear in.

the main ways of reducing weight have already been discussed, completely stripped interior, fiberglass panels, plastic windows, if you can afford some carbon fibre stuff, then sure go for that too.

also normal fibreglass is pretty light for making stuff out of , as oposed to metal and carbon fibre..i can't think of a good example at the moment, but I'm sure it exists....

other than that there is only what your imagination can come up with in replacing "heavy" bits with "light" bits.

lightened tailshaft is a good idea, it used to get you like 8kw in gran tourismo, so it must be worth it!

after than i don't think theres much else to do to lose a few extra seconds, than to learn how to drive better!

orange32
7th July 2008, 08:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ke70dave @ Jul 7 2008, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=557981)</div>
dude enough with the track car thing!

after than i don't think theres much else to do to lose a few extra seconds, than to learn how to drive better![/b]

Listen to this man

TrackRona
8th July 2008, 04:45 AM
ive been thinking, now these people who do weight reductions on dailies, or as i call it interior raping, if they really wanna drive the car at it's lightest, wouldn't they rather lose weight? seriously, its ironic when people worry about shaving 5 pounds off the car when theyre about 75 pounds overweight. :confused:

Benny
8th July 2008, 03:32 PM
Some people have a really hard time losing weight dude... Don't you think(that the really motivated person) would much rather lose weight, but, failing that they can remove weight from their car. And as previously said, why not do both? The less the car weighs overall the better right? lol..

Having said that, i'm 6'5 and weigh less than 75kg, I should probably look into putting ON weight.. lol

Crumpet
8th July 2008, 03:41 PM
I can't believe someone is having a crack at others for trying to remove weight from their car.

Every little bit counts, thats for sure. I can definately notice the difference when i have taken my spare tyre out the boot + Jack etc.

Corollas are naturally underpowered and need as least weight as they can have.

Also lighter car = less work the motor has to do = less wear on your motor AND Less fuel you have to buy at $1.90 a litre.

So conclusion, remove all you can, and all you feel is necessary. [/End Rant]

ae71
8th July 2008, 04:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benny @ Jul 8 2008, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=558439)</div>
Some people have a really hard time losing weight dude... Don't you think(that the really motivated person) would much rather lose weight, but, failing that they can remove weight from their car. And as previously said, why not do both? The less the car weighs overall the better right? lol..

Having said that, i'm 6'5 and weigh less than 75kg, I should probably look into putting ON weight.. lol[/b]

I'm 6'1 and weigh 67kg's

LOL

yes i was going to say, get a gym membership :P

by upgrading parts of your car you also inedvertanly loose weight, such as.. 4link (made from alloy), light weight wheels, aluminium callipers, fiberglass bucket, lighter exhaust manifold (cast are very heavy). having a cage made from chrome molly (very strong and suprisingly light).

Benny
8th July 2008, 05:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ae71 @ Jul 8 2008, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=558463)</div>
I'm 6'1 and weigh 67kg's

LOL

yes i was going to say, get a gym membership :P

by upgrading parts of your car you also inedvertanly loose weight, such as.. 4link (made from alloy), light weight wheels, aluminium callipers, fiberglass bucket, lighter exhaust manifold (cast are very heavy). having a cage made from chrome molly (very strong and suprisingly light).[/b]
Hahaha probably average the same as me then! It's good though :teehee:

Aluminium calipers.. Thats genious!

I'm giving meridian a call shortly and getting a quote of a full crome-moly cage :unsure: I'm gonna die when they tell me :( So worth it though.

balistic
8th July 2008, 05:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benny @ Jul 8 2008, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=558490)</div>
Hahaha probably average the same as me then! It's good though :teehee:

Aluminium calipers.. Thats genious!

I'm giving meridian a call shortly and getting a quote of a full crome-moly cage :unsure: I'm gonna die when they tell me :( So worth it though.[/b]

I got a quote from them about 12 months ago for a 6 point cage with side intrusion and tags to the A pillars - ~$3000 and I think that was just CDS - not chrome-moly! Hope your wallet is fat! Meridan do good work, but they arent the cheapest!

Benny
8th July 2008, 05:38 PM
Yeah that price is quoted on the site, $29**k or something... I know it's gonna be expensive, but I figure, i'm not cutting corners anywhere else, why here? + why take all the weight out of the car, only to put 50kgs back in with a cage? I don't see the point.

XaeRob
8th July 2008, 06:10 PM
Has anyone thought about going to the effort of stripping the wiring loom of all unused connectors? there is a few under the dash, and pulling it all out and unnecesary wires will take out a bit (we're talking 1-5kg though at a guess, but at least its another free mod)

Benny
8th July 2008, 06:13 PM
Yeah sure if you have any sort of a CLUE about electrics... Which of that I don't haha

Gullie
8th July 2008, 06:33 PM
have poo
have a bat
take a piss
have a shave
squeeze a pimple
floss your teeth
cut your nails

and of course.. pick your nose

then you will drift

driftke70
8th July 2008, 07:23 PM
you will probably lose a few killos taking sound deadening out, so its a win win.

i only weigh 71kg woo

Benny
8th July 2008, 07:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (driftke70 @ Jul 8 2008, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=558585)</div>
you will probably lose a few killos taking sound deadening out, so its a win win.

i only weigh 71kg woo[/b]
And put on muscle if you're like me and dented the floor HARD smashing the shit out with a mallet lol..

ae86hachiroku
8th July 2008, 07:51 PM
If your serious on weight loss, invest in fibreglass boots/hatches, bonnets, doors etc...

Benny
8th July 2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah thats been discussed pretty well already. Looking at more advanced way of reducing weight.

ae71
8th July 2008, 08:36 PM
yeah aluminium callipers, most cars that come with alloy wheels have them, cars where you don't see the callipers usually have cast callipers. commonwhore twin spot ones are so freaken heavy

oh and lightened flywheel.. a compact light battery

samuek
8th July 2008, 08:43 PM
i starve myself for a week and drive naked before i race

puzzigully
8th July 2008, 08:54 PM
the whole idea about ripping shit out is from imports which are loaded with electronic gear that make them roll off the showroom floor faster. having a heated gear knob isnt much use in a drift car so it just gets ripped out. when your working with a car that has pretty much the bare minimum from the factory then losing all practicality to make the car slightly faster isnt really worth it.

ive still got a full interior in my r31 apart from the boot carpet because it smelt, ive swapped the steelie for a impul meshie whihc is about half the weight, ive still got ac too (which ill be getting regassed) because if its a street driven car, its just not worth the pain int he ass for a fraction of a second gain. plus if you get pulled over its just another thing to get done for..

I don't get it..

what more do you want to know? the more shit you rip out the lighter the car becomes. you will gain more by replacing heavier essentials with lighter ones (wheels, seats ect) if you were serious about building a track car this would just be common sence..

TrackRona
11th July 2008, 03:08 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benny @ Jul 8 2008, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=558439)</div>

Having said that, i'm 6'5 and weigh less than 75kg, I should probably look into putting ON weight.. lol[/b]
well, if people are THAT motivated, then they should pay someone whose really skinny to race the car. like they pay jockeys at horse races.

damn, I'm 5' 6 and weigh 65kg. :unsure: now i feel chunky.

Benny
11th July 2008, 03:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (racsov500 @ Jul 8 2008, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=558640)</div>
the whole idea about ripping shit out is from imports which are loaded with electronic gear that make them roll off the showroom floor faster. having a heated gear knob isnt much use in a drift car so it just gets ripped out. when your working with a car that has pretty much the bare minimum from the factory then losing all practicality to make the car slightly faster isnt really worth it.

ive still got a full interior in my r31 apart from the boot carpet because it smelt, ive swapped the steelie for a impul meshie whihc is about half the weight, ive still got ac too (which ill be getting regassed) because if its a street driven car, its just not worth the pain int he ass for a fraction of a second gain. plus if you get pulled over its just another thing to get done for..

what more do you want to know? the more shit you rip out the lighter the car becomes. you will gain more by replacing heavier essentials with lighter ones (wheels, seats ect) if you were serious about building a track car this would just be common sence..[/b]
There is only so much one can know with no previous experience building a car or knowledge of how to build one. Which is why they come on forums such as these and ask for advice. Ofcourse I've thought of all the common ways to do it, but i'd like advanced ways to remove weight, from people who have felt the need to do it and have done it. Comprehende?

balistic
11th July 2008, 10:20 AM
Not many of the guys on this forum run dedicated race cars(even though they like to think they do!).

If you really want good first hand information without the bullshit, go to some race meets, look over the cars, chat to the car owners and get it from the horses mouth. Your dreaming if you think your building a race car based on forum suggestions! I'd get laughed at if I went to a race meet and regurgitated some of the suggested thrown up here! Real life experience is a lot different to "virtual" experience gained from surfing the net!

What is the car being built for? Sprints, IPRA, Sports Sedans? Class rules will have a large influence on how you build your car and what you can and can't do.

DRFTPG
13th July 2008, 01:23 PM
my carpet had all mould on it because it leaked and my car leak's so taking the carpet out was really because it smelt and i didnt want to buy more carpet so i just left it out...then i didnt like the look of the sound deadning so i took most of it out as well.

theres my story :D

Teddy
13th July 2008, 02:15 PM
W0w this topics still burning. Someone leave the gas tap on?

DaGa
19th August 2008, 05:11 AM
Alot of people can't afford a track car but still want to make sure there getting the best they can out of their car. While yes, a daily driver should be comfy, I'm willing to take away a little bit to get a tiny bit more and learning to drive makes a big difference and knowing ur that little bit lighter helps too. My point is if your willing to live with a little bit more noise and have a little, tiny maybe, more power to weight then why not. I'm buying a seamwealded 86 with no carpet but street looks, could i be bothered putting it all back, no.

riojin
19th August 2008, 10:21 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UNDRGRND D0GF1GHT3R @ Jul 11 2008, 02:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=559923)</div>
damn, I'm 5' 6 and weigh 65kg. :unsure: now i feel chunky.[/b]

nah dude youre about right. these other guys taller than 6 foot and weighing less than 70kg's must be some skinny bastards.

I'm 5' 7 and weigh 68kg's off-season and 75kg's when I'm training.

SpotterOne
19th August 2008, 10:21 AM
I've been watching this discussion with interest for a while now, and it has occurred to me that some of you have missed the point, and others are spot on.

The important thing is not the total weight lost, rather where the weight is lost from. For instance, the unsprung mass in your car is a great place to lose weight. You are better off losing a few kilo's off your wheel/tyre combo than 20kg in sound deadener (not that I think there is that much in there). It's funny how some people go to all that effort to pull out sound deadener then fit 17" wheels.

Rotational weight is another one that benefits from going missing. Your engine will rev faster at the expense of holding momentum, but that dosen't matter in a race car that spends all day at 8000rpm. A good example of this is to get your crank pulley machined so that the forward belt grooves are gone. This means you can't run an aircon unit, but that is heavy!

Electric water pumps don't save weight, but they take some load off the motor so more power can be realised.

Big lead/acid batteries are anchors. Get yourself a nice little odyssey battery.

Empty your windshield washer bottle.

Pull out your heater fan and associated garbage under the dash.

At the end of the day, you would be better off just buying a lighter car for a race car. You'll never get down to a proper race car weight, and you'll be spewing when you see a clubman with an identical drivetrain go 10 seconds a lap faster than you.

Where does that extra 10 seconds come from? Perhaps its from the fact that a clubman weighs 530kg.

Leo

floody31
19th August 2008, 11:49 AM
Jeezus theres some little blokes on here! I'm 5'9" and 101kg. I probably shouldn't drive a Corolla at all.

greeneyes
19th August 2008, 12:52 PM
When I was racing Clubmans Class we ran under a handicap system, so I did practice with the car just as I drove it on the road. Before the first race I whipped out the spare wheel, jack, tools and odd rubbish. That was worth a second a lap, good enough to end up at the front but not enough to annoy the handicapper.

Then I took out the rear seat and the air filter before race two... same result, so a few Kg here and there definately makes a difference to a 4cyl 1600cc.

The rally car was quite different, plastic everything, the bonnet was one sheet of fibreglass and flexible enough to rise at the rear corners at speed and let the air out from the engine compartment. The doors were cut back to an outer shell with a string to open them, and a diagonal exhaust pipe welded in for side impact. The door hinges were drilled to a skeleton because the doors were so light they didn't have to do any work.

However, the starting point for anyone would be to lighten the flywheel! Even on a 1360kg Altezza I can feel the difference easily!

kaibeecee
19th August 2008, 01:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benny @ Jul 11 2008, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=559932)</div>
There is only so much one can know with no previous experience building a car or knowledge of how to build one. Which is why they come on forums such as these and ask for advice. Ofcourse I've thought of all the common ways to do it, but i'd like advanced ways to remove weight, from people who have felt the need to do it and have done it. Comprehende?[/b]

it sounds like you're hanging out for someone to come and say they've fiberglassed their entire rear floor, or using an alloy tunnel or something. You're clutching at straws asking here. It's not gonna happen, 99% of 86 owners in australia aren't THAT crazy, nor financially in the position to bother, whether it be for a IRPA, super sport, or a drift car. to most it's not really logical to waste that much effort for what seems minimal gains in the long-term

If you're serious about it, and crazy enough to give that much of a shit, tube frame the engine bay, or the rear end. Or monocoque the entire front panelset from FRP or something.

Look up super sprint or hillclimb car builds, theres a million forums of old UK dudes with fat wallets doing exactly what you want to see, only not to ae86s. more corsa's and escorts. If you can get past that, then look them up.

Benny
19th August 2008, 01:26 PM
^ Thanks buddy.

redsprinter
19th August 2008, 01:42 PM
LOL ... yeah I was thinking just buy clubman too.. If you wanna have a light/stiff as suspension/noisy (good noisy)/ and with the bare minimum if any luxury.. oh a plus is the clubman comes standard air con .... that weighs 0kg ... yes lighter then any fibre glass doors or carbon bonnets.

here are some advance way of weight saving

- Titanium exhaust....
- replace every panel with carbon
-glass lexn
- replace every suspension components with aluminum part or something lighter

or... you could just do this .....

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/175504.jpg

Roku_70
19th August 2008, 07:56 PM
seriously guys, the best way to shread weight from your car is to get rid of the fat chick you picked up at the drivethrough. or just to be nice, remove the passenger seat so you don't have to tell her why...

driftke70
19th August 2008, 07:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (greeneyes @ Aug 19 2008, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=577180)</div>
Then I took out the rear seat and the air filter before race two... same result, so a few Kg here and there definately makes a difference to a 4cyl 1600cc.[/b]
the clubman i drive doesnt have rear seat(s), funny that.

your all comparing bananas to apples.

I have collected sound deadening from a keto and weighed it, it exceeds 28 killos taking into account also not all the little bits i put in the bag and swept up.
Sprinter will have less because it doesnt have a whole lot of it.
At the end of the day, it is weight lost, the cage I'm making will weigh almost 40 killos, thats suffice to say that with the sound deadening removed, the heater fan unit, all the dash except cluster and top skin, and battery moved behind passenger seat replaced with a smaller gel cell , i will still be lighter than a standard keto even with 40kg of cage, thats not counting many things also.

So at the end of the day, it is justifyable, you can't look at the sound deadening and think of it like that, its a whole procedure, you can get picky about anything if you wanna be lame and single stuff out. But its the bigger picture, sure better improvements can be made elsewhere, but at the end of the day, its still an improvement. And if your not running a 4ac and test out your parking skills rather than actually drive you will feel it.

Benny
19th August 2008, 09:23 PM
Weight is the only thing the hachi has going for it. Exploit it to hell and back imo.

slydar
21st August 2008, 10:01 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (driftke70 @ Aug 19 2008, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=577344)</div>
the clubman i drive doesnt have rear seat(s), funny that.

your all comparing bananas to apples.

I have collected sound deadening from a keto and weighed it, it exceeds 28 killos taking into account also not all the little bits i put in the bag and swept up.
Sprinter will have less because it doesnt have a whole lot of it.
At the end of the day, it is weight lost, the cage I'm making will weigh almost 40 killos, thats suffice to say that with the sound deadening removed, the heater fan unit, all the dash except cluster and top skin, and battery moved behind passenger seat replaced with a smaller gel cell , i will still be lighter than a standard keto even with 40kg of cage, thats not counting many things also.

So at the end of the day, it is justifyable, you can't look at the sound deadening and think of it like that, its a whole procedure, you can get picky about anything if you wanna be lame and single stuff out. But its the bigger picture, sure better improvements can be made elsewhere, but at the end of the day, its still an improvement. And if your not running a 4ac and test out your parking skills rather than actually drive you will feel it.[/b]

agreed..

its the same as anything youre trying to make lighter.. to make a really big difference, you have to do EVERYTHING. like a bicycle, if you have all stock parts, and just put in a ti bottom bracket spindle, well you wont really feel it and the $150-200 is gonna feel like a waste. untill you get every other little expensive part, then you can really really feel it.

if you just say take out your sound deadening and do nothing else.. then yeah why bother. but if you change your from seats, remove your rear seats, change your windows, change your bonnet, take out your heater, sound deadening, carpet, rear trim, the car will feel different. its like driving with a passenger or not, i can tell you from taking heaps of mates out to the track for hot laps, do 4 laps with them in it.. then do a few without and its day and night.

its a sliding scale too. the more you take out, the more each kilo makes a bigger difference.

ot, but re above post. i don't really agree. theres bit more to it than that. its a fairly aerodynamic car compared its direct "competitors" and its a toyota. meaning although obviously the design is very basic, its also very sound, they havent missed much. you just don't often get that "WTF why did they do this like this???" when working on an 86. plus development and parts support especially is almost unparalleled.

ae86hachiroku
21st August 2008, 10:58 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
you just don't often get that "WTF why did they do this like this???" when working on an 86[/b]

lol, agreed there.. ever worked on a 31? Their just full of wtf?

floody31
21st August 2008, 11:44 AM
WTF Slydar, Aerodynamics? AE86s are about as aerodynamic as a bevelled brick.
Yes, I fully realise the irony given the cars I own are as aerodynamic as factory fresh bricks..

ke70dave
21st August 2008, 12:52 PM
i don't really think aerodynamics comes into it when we are generally talking about street cars, you need some speed to get aerodynamics to even take effect.

pretty much anything from the 80's is not really that aerodynamic anyway, they all have square windows, and square doors.

the ae86 prolly has the advantage of having such a big boot that slopes down.... (to be confirmed in a wind tunnell, only being sceptical here..)

i agree with what slyder is saying about the "no point doing some stuff, but not others"

the bike example is excellent..

someone up there mentioned the idea of keeping unsprung weight down

this is an excellent point as unsprung mass has a way more significant difference to handling to sprung mass.

at the end of the day, its up the the individual owner as to what they want to remove of their car.

but if your going to remove all your sound deadening and carpet, at least put in some floor matts!!

its terrible driving a car with bare hot metal under your feet, especially when it gets dirty...and worst of all...wet!!!

rthy
21st August 2008, 06:37 PM
I don't know if this will help anyone but here is how I have taken weight out of my car:

bonnet -18kg
removing electric sunroof -14kg
removing tow-bar -12kg
removing aircon -12kg

nothing touches my sound deadener!

something else that hasnt been covered here is I belive that ditching drum brakes all together and going for a straight disk setup would lose a bit of weight. When I say straight disk I mean not those disk over drum setups.

Theres a few kg to be had in changing the seats too

another thing I have noticed is many people strip their car an then run a big tool kit inside. I say get RACV membership or something and then take the tool-kit and anything assosiated with the spare wheel right out.

rthy
21st August 2008, 06:41 PM
oh I just thought of it I think it has been mentioned before but the stock alternator mount and the twin tensioners are heavy as, if a custom bracket is use a few kg can be hadm thats what I did

Dom86
21st August 2008, 06:55 PM
In my opinion.....

If its a street only car, weight reduction is pretty pointless.

If its a street and track car, then every little bit helps.

If its a track only car, go for broke.

At the end of the day, its your car, and if you like wank factor, then so be it.
Who gives a rats cock if someone doesn't like what you've done to your car. Its your car and you know what you want from it.

Dish
21st August 2008, 06:55 PM
I've pulled a bunch of shit out of my car for all valid reasons.

Aircon gear, overheated it a couple times cause I still had the condensor in, so I pulled it out, not much point in leaving the lines and compressor and shit in, so that came out too.

Rear lower half of the seat, spilt 5L of oil on it. Still have the top half, just lays flat, like it cause it looks neat.

Rear parcel shelf and accesories, they were all shagged from having 6x9's in them.

I like the half a back seat thing, don't have to cart c**ts around.

And it's still my daily. I get alot of satisfaction from driving a car that feels like a pig, it's loud, rattles, vibrates sometimes runs like shit. I take pride in that it's my car, so I do whatever the fuck I want to it to make it something of my own.

As everyone said, it's each to their own. If you want weight loss, fibreglass panels, doors, lexan windows etc.. No point ripping 2kg out of a loom if you can drop 10kg in a door.

rthy
21st August 2008, 07:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dom86 @ Aug 21 2008, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=578122)</div>
In my opinion.....

If its a street only car, weight reduction is pretty pointless.

If its a street and track car, then every little bit helps.

If its a track only car, go for broke.

At the end of the day, its your car, and if you like wank factor, then so be it.
Who gives a rats cock if someone doesn't like what you've done to your car. Its your car and you know what you want from it.[/b]

what about fuel economy?

slydar
21st August 2008, 08:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (floody31 @ Aug 21 2008, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=578011)</div>
WTF Slydar, Aerodynamics? AE86s are about as aerodynamic as a bevelled brick.
Yes, I fully realise the irony given the cars I own are as aerodynamic as factory fresh bricks..[/b]

compared to a ke70, mk1/2 escort, any relevant datsun (1200/1600). all similarly priced, similar potential light weight rwd vehicles. I'm talking about drag obviously, of those cars, it is a clear winner. hatch backs are usually considered to be a fairly sound shape as dave pointed out. there are drag coefficient numbers out there somewhere, the numbers arent too bad relatively speaking.

Micknofx
21st August 2008, 09:16 PM
According to wheels magazine october 1983 the sprinter had the lowest aerodynamic drag claimed by toyota to date when is was released.

ke70dave
21st August 2008, 09:50 PM
just for interests sake

coefficients of drag of the following vehicles (smaller is better)

ae86 0.39
R32 GTR 0.4
R34 GTR 0.36
R35 GTR 0.27 (impressive!)
volvo 740 0.41 (boxy wagon, impressive)
Ferrari F40 0.34
Toyota Prius 0.26 (impressive also!)
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid 0.27

so as can be seen the ae86 isnt too bad, not great though.

but then you look at the list...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_dr...es_and_examples (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficients#Typical_values_and_ex amples)

and there isnt much variation, but its enough to see that the ae86 is doing ok....

what was interesting is the formula 1 car being 0-7-1.1 with all the down force, how cool is that!!!

sorry for the offtopic...but its kinda relevant...i guess...

Micknofx
21st August 2008, 09:53 PM
Thats interesting beacuse the figure in wheels was .35 - though they do say that thats a toyota claim.

rthy
21st August 2008, 10:31 PM
they also claimed an ae71 was 0.35, I have no idea how I remembered that after all this time.

Dom86
21st August 2008, 11:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Aug 21 2008, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=578153)</div>
what about fuel economy?[/b]

it weighs under a tone and has a 1.6L engine. How much fuel economy do you need?

as a point of reference, my daily(in full trim) has a clapped out 4ac (rings are munted and blows more smoke than a choo choo train), and i still get 350km minimum to a tank on ULP(not worth putting good fuel in a crap motor). Now if your not getting near this, than weight reduction is the last thing you should be worried about. ;)

driftke70
22nd August 2008, 12:45 PM
new tarago has airdrag/co of .32

i put a duck tail on my rolla, took it to a wind tunnel, its .13 now

rthy
27th August 2008, 01:30 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dom86 @ Aug 21 2008, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=578302)</div>
it weighs under a tone and has a 1.6L engine. How much fuel economy do you need?

as a point of reference, my daily(in full trim) has a clapped out 4ac (rings are munted and blows more smoke than a choo choo train), and i still get 350km minimum to a tank on ULP(not worth putting good fuel in a crap motor). Now if your not getting near this, than weight reduction is the last thing you should be worried about. ;)[/b]

I say any extra fuel economy means more money to spend on mods, so if its a small gain but a free one then why not. Besides it means I can further before I have to get off my lazy butt and fill it up.

Intense
31st August 2008, 04:22 PM
Ok I compiled a list of the weights for some jdm AE86 parts, adm ones may differ by a few kilo's. Stock weight would be up too since we have intrusion bars in the doors.

ae86 stock weight = 987kg
stock bonnet = 15.3kg
stock hatch = 24.2kg
stock seats = 17kg/15kg
frp bonnet = 8.2kg (-7.1kg)
frp hatch = 11.2kg (-13kg)
bride seats = 11kg/17.8kg recliner (-3.2kg)

stock rear seats + carpet = 18.4kg
stock spare rim + tyre = 15kg
sound deadening = 26kg

ae86 + frp + seats = 963.5kg (-23.5kg)

Ae86 stripped + frp + seats = 919.1kg

More weight could be stripped out using lexan windows and carbon/frp/fibreglass doors. Also light weight wheels will reduce a few more kg. Exhaust will reduce the weight as well. Thicker radiator will up the weight, strut bars will increase the weight.

LAZY
31st August 2008, 05:21 PM
I don't understand what all the fuss is about, sprinters are light cars already, I struggle to get 1100kg out of the silvia.

If you go into all that trouble it ends up being a rolling defect, a/c, sound deadning, trims and rear seats should be enough. You want to be fast how bout doing some circuit racing, i don't see many sprinters out there circuit racing(to be honest i have seen none).

LAZY
31st August 2008, 05:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ke70dave @ Aug 21 2008, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=578237)</div>
just for interests sake

coefficients of drag of the following vehicles (smaller is better)

ae86 0.39
R32 GTR 0.4
R34 GTR 0.36
R35 GTR 0.27 (impressive!)
volvo 740 0.41 (boxy wagon, impressive)
Ferrari F40 0.34
Toyota Prius 0.26 (impressive also!)
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid 0.27

so as can be seen the ae86 isnt too bad, not great though.

but then you look at the list...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_dr...es_and_examples (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficients#Typical_values_and_ex amples)

and there isnt much variation, but its enough to see that the ae86 is doing ok....

what was interesting is the formula 1 car being 0-7-1.1 with all the down force, how cool is that!!!

sorry for the offtopic...but its kinda relevant...i guess...[/b]

drag coefficiency is not downforce

ke70dave
31st August 2008, 05:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LAZY @ Aug 31 2008, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=581908)</div>
drag coefficiency is not downforce[/b]

you are right, and if you read carefully i never said it was

The creation of downforce by extra wings/fins can only be achieved at the cost of increased aerodynamic drag, and the optimum setup is always a compromise between the two.

so you are correct in saying that down force isnt drag, but you cannot have down force without an increased in drag.

the two are related by the following.

a drag force is basically a force opposing the forward direction.

the way down force works is by splitting up the drag force created by a wing/spoiler into a verticle force (the "down" force) as well as a horizontal force (the drag), it does this by directing the force at angles (thats why spoilers are always on funny angles, and not flat as I'm sure you have seen)

this is not entirely correct, as the F1 "wings" act exactly like that, as a wing, where pressure differences over different surfaces come into it as well, but i don't want to comment on this incase i say something wrong...

which makes me think...if a F1 car has that much extra drag ( 0-7-1.1 drag coefficient) it must have a crapload of downforce in order to make it worth while!!!

(and of course you know that they do, don't they reckon an F1 car could drive upside down when its at full speed?)

Intense
31st August 2008, 06:26 PM
f1's produce so much down force becuase of the ground effect that the air has running under the car. It sucks the car down

LAZY
31st August 2008, 06:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ke70dave @ Aug 31 2008, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=581923)</div>
you are right, and if you read carefully i never said it was

The creation of downforce by extra wings/fins can only be achieved at the cost of increased aerodynamic drag, and the optimum setup is always a compromise between the two.

so you are correct in saying that down force isnt drag, but you cannot have down force without an increased in drag.

the two are related by the following.

a drag force is basically a force opposing the forward direction.

the way down force works is by splitting up the drag force created by a wing/spoiler into a verticle force (the "down" force) as well as a horizontal force (the drag), it does this by directing the force at angles (thats why spoilers are always on funny angles, and not flat as I'm sure you have seen)

which makes me think...if a F1 car has that much extra drag ( 0-7-1.1 drag coefficient) it must have a crapload of downforce in order to make it worth while!!!

(and of course you know that they do, don't they reckon an F1 car could drive upside down when its at full speed?)[/b]

The two are related but have nothing in common e.g ae86 with a wing is going to have more downforce than a ae86 without if both have the same coefficiency rates at the same speed.

If it wasn't for the f1's front and rear wing (and speed) weight and diffusers you can almost compare downforce to a lotus exige.

The coefficiency of a truck is a lot worse compared to ae86 but with a wing it has more downforce, etc.

don't expect me to read peoples mind.

slydar
31st August 2008, 06:57 PM
no one asked you to read anyones mind, but if youre going to quote someones posts, and attempt to point out something you think is "wrong" maybe it would be good if you could have read and understood what you were correcting.

re "not understanding" people trying to reduce the weight of their 86s.

its pretty simple really. mosts 86s don't have as much power as an s13. they also don't have the same amount of rubber, but still, 86ers are just trying to achieve a useable power to weight ratio. also, people who likes 86s, are attracted to them often because they like light cars. if that is their preference, then obviously, theyre going to want to build on that.

driftke70
31st August 2008, 07:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Aug 21 2008, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=578112)</div>
I don't know if this will help anyone but here is how I have taken weight out of my car:

bonnet -18kg
removing electric sunroof -14kg
removing tow-bar -12kg
removing aircon -12kg

nothing touches my sound deadener![/b]
congrats, you have managed to reach stock weight!

LAZY
31st August 2008, 07:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slydar @ Aug 31 2008, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=581951)</div>
no one asked you to read anyones mind, but if youre going to quote someones posts, and attempt to point out something you think is "wrong" maybe it would be good if you could have read and understood what you were correcting.

re "not understanding" people trying to reduce the weight of their 86s.

its pretty simple really. mosts 86s don't have as much power as an s13. they also don't have the same amount of rubber, but still, 86ers are just trying to achieve a useable power to weight ratio. also, people who likes 86s, are attracted to them often because they like light cars. if that is their preference, then obviously, theyre going to want to build on that.[/b]

I didnt read anyones mind, quote "don't expect me to read peoples mind" go back to school.

I was just pointing out that coefficiency and downforce are different, related but different/

I understand but for what purpose? AE86 with s2000 engine that weighs 900 will eat a -800 4ag for breakfast, theres nothing wrong with power mods, power to weight?? So everyone is going for clubmans "hang on their sir, I can't fill your r35 in for this wakefield day, its filled by clubmans"

And I like light cars, when I sold my ae86 I was very close to buying a second hand lotus elise.

Seriously arguing in this forum is like beating a dead horse. If you want to see my point bring the lightest hachiroku you can find down to eastern creek or wakefield.

driftke70
31st August 2008, 08:10 PM
few loose screws ^

of course an s2000 engine will go better, but your missing the point.

lap times are cool but so are other things

rthy
31st August 2008, 10:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (driftke70 @ Aug 31 2008, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=581957)</div>
congrats, you have managed to reach stock weight![/b]

what the hell is that meant to mean?

HachiRoku
31st August 2008, 11:03 PM
Perhaps; that you've turned a high spec Sprinter into the weight of a low spec model, sans sunroof, aircon etc.

rthy
31st August 2008, 11:14 PM
yeah thats more like it

Dom86
31st August 2008, 11:31 PM
I say, if you have achieved stock wieght, but increased power and handling from factory, you have built a good car.

quadeyquade
1st September 2008, 01:21 AM
guys i drift naked to save weight. and i shaved all the hair off my body. its really improved my track times

Dom86
1st September 2008, 02:14 AM
if you look anything like your avator, thats alot of weight saved, or is that shaved....

Driftspec
1st September 2008, 02:32 AM
I removed some of my organs, made a killing on the black market and can now get to the shops in a few seconds less than what I did before!

Is that what this thread turned into again? :P

munki
1st September 2008, 09:32 AM
Just read this thread through and I have come to the conclusion that ae86dc stands for ae86 drama club ;)

slydar
1st September 2008, 10:30 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LAZY @ Aug 31 2008, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=581964)</div>
I didnt read anyones mind, quote "don't expect me to read peoples mind" go back to school.

I was just pointing out that coefficiency and downforce are different, related but different/

I understand but for what purpose? AE86 with s2000 engine that weighs 900 will eat a -800 4ag for breakfast, theres nothing wrong with power mods, power to weight?? So everyone is going for clubmans "hang on their sir, I can't fill your r35 in for this wakefield day, its filled by clubmans"

And I like light cars, when I sold my ae86 I was very close to buying a second hand lotus elise.

Seriously arguing in this forum is like beating a dead horse. If you want to see my point bring the lightest hachiroku you can find down to eastern creek or wakefield.[/b]

jeez.. dude.. how about you actually go back and read the post you quoted just 1 more time? so we're on the same page?

dave never said they were the same thing! you miss read daves posts, then "corrected him". i was correcting you, cos youre the one whos clearly wrong.

and what the hell are you on about, s2000 engine in an 86? where did you pull that from?

lets say for example, a silvia, the car comes stock with a turbo engine.. anyone can add power to that car with bolt on mods. with an ae86, it comes stock/most people on here buy it, with a 4age. it is not really easy to make more power with a 4age using bolt on parts. so instead, people may choose weight reduction, as that is easy to do at home. on the other hand, putting an s2000 engine in is not easy to do at home, nor cost effective, even if you can.

we're talking about improving a car that we like/own, not choosing a vehicle based solely on its capability to do a job. in the case of the 86, reducing its weight seems like a logical way to improve the car, especially faced with the fact that increasing power is not so easy.

and and p.s its "flogging and dead horse" not beating.

balistic
1st September 2008, 12:17 PM
Just adding more power doesnt help in corners.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Just read this thread through and I have come to the conclusion that ae86dc stands for ae86 drama club wink.gif[/b]

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/176058.jpg

Dom86
1st September 2008, 04:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (driftspec @ Aug 31 2008, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=582205)</div>
I removed some of my organs, made a killing on the black market and can now get to the shops in a few seconds less than what I did before!

Is that what this thread turned into again? :P[/b]

YES!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munki @ Sep 1 2008, 06:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=582229)</div>
Just read this thread through and I have come to the conclusion that ae86dc stands for ae86 drama club ;)[/b]

YES!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HighLife @ Sep 1 2008, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=582272)</div>
Just adding more power doesnt help in corners.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/176058.jpg[/b]

....and YES!

HachiRoku
1st September 2008, 07:36 PM
I believe there's much more time to be saved in improving my braking and line choice, before I have to start worrying about excess weight. Just sayin' is all.

Group A
3rd October 2008, 06:40 PM
I'm surprised that no-one so far has mentioned the huge plastic bodykits that youngsters put on their ricers nowadays. Those things weigh heaps and usually increase drag without generating significant downforce.

I removed the standard front seats from my Torana and weighed them, 19kg each! I replaced them with racing seats @ 7.5kg each! That's 2kg right there!

Benny, as someone said earlier in the thread, don't start ripping weight out of the car until you have read the rule book for the class you are going to race in. Plenty of weight loss tips in this thread are illegal in a lot of racing classes. Also, as mentioned previously, go to a race meet and talk to the guys who race in the class you are going into.