PDA

View Full Version : T-18

stouty
26th March 2007, 08:10 PM
I was just wondering what is the best engine swap for a T-18 and if it is worth rebuilding the 3tc engine if so where are places i can buy engine parts, would be looking at upgrading to stronger parts not stock.
Thanks

Beserker99
26th March 2007, 08:37 PM
Best engine I think for these cars are the 3t-gte's. They're becoming harder to find these days, but also the 2t-geu's are pretty cool http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Or if ya had the parts, try a 4a-ge http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

Bustin_86
26th March 2007, 09:26 PM
Personally, im just gonna slam some bolt on parts onto mine. Big side drafts, cam, zorst, extractors. Should make for a fun car. Clean it all up and get it running reliable like lol.

But i do give some thought to a engine swap sometimes... if i i did do it i reckon i would go 4age. Shouldnt be any harder than a ke70 swap.

stouty
26th March 2007, 10:17 PM
Yeh i was really keen to see how hard it would be to do a 4age conversion but i havnt seen any write ups about it, so i thought it must have been to hard or something.

Brendo
26th March 2007, 10:45 PM
4age in to t18 would be a hell of alot easier than a ke70 conversion as its already hydrailic clutch and t50... i would think the ae71/86 crossmember would go straight in and the 4a bell... leaving the usual wiring and fuel system... be like putting a 4age into an 86 with a couple extra jobs to do... pm if u decide to do it and need help

cheers
Brendan

rthy
26th March 2007, 10:48 PM
2tg head on the 3tc

Gilly
27th March 2007, 01:13 AM
yeah from my limited experience with T18's i think the 4a conversion would be relatively simple.

you need a 4a bellhousing for the t18 t50

an ae71 or 86 crossmember

probably a KE70 column (86/71 crossmember = rack and pinion steering not T18 steering box)

i'd use an 86 rack as they have more lock than 70 ones

box tailshaft and diff are covered

do it

pm just half steppin, he is the undisputed authority on T18's

Konakid
27th March 2007, 01:52 AM
2tg head on the 3tc[/b]

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif C1 can explain further.....

Hen is a total nutcase
27th March 2007, 07:13 AM
Turbo the stock 3TC. Guy's in Puerta Rico run 8s with them (Yes, still with a single cam and pushrods).

Hen

Jonny Rochester
27th March 2007, 11:52 PM
I would stick to the T series motors. The Levin/Trueno had a 2T-GEU. But the 3T single cam head can be worked to flow the same. Any sort of 2T-G with your 3T bottom end is a good start.

4A-GE is more work than it would first seam. The rack and pinion can be put in, but does not all bolt up like you would think. Steering colum is different, pedal box different etc.

I say keep it like a old TE71 Levin/Trueno. But 3T bottom end. Stock 3T parts are mostly fine. But if you don't get a 2T-G head, get bigger valves and some porting on your 3T head. And a big lumpy cam and some good stiff valve springs. Then either sidedrafts, or even better some sort of EFI.

Jonny Rochester
27th March 2007, 11:56 PM
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/sepia/10007289/

stouty
29th March 2007, 12:22 PM
"Jonny Rochester" do you know where i can source a 2T-G head from and also where i can get new parts for both engines? Thanks for your help.

Jonny Rochester
29th March 2007, 07:58 PM
I only have one 2T-G head, and its part of my car. They used to be common and easy to find. But if you get one, you also need the dummy cam and sprockets and stuff. You have the option of sidedrafts or the EFI manifold. If you get the carby manifold, any sidedrafts will fit.

You use your original 3T block, crank, and pistons. Have the pistons cut a little for exhaust valve releif. You need to take the whole motor apart to fit the dummy cam and turn around the not used cam bearings, to block the oil. You can use a new 3T head gasket, but will need to use spare gasket pieces and silicon for the front bit. Or buy a 2T-GEU gasket kit on ebay or something. Order new rings to suit your 3T pistons, and get new bearings if you want. Also get your stock 3T flywheel lightened down to about 6.5 or 7kg and balanced, makes heaps of difference.

All these things you can buy or order at Burson or Repco:
2T-G top chain
3T/2T-G bottom chain
3T bottom chain tensioner
2T-G head gasket
valve stem seals
rings and bearings for 3T
front and rear oil seal for 3T
tube of silicon

The only trick with a 2T-G is knowing how to install the head and timing chains and cams without bending a valve. Also if the chain is in the wrong place when you put the timing cover on you can crack it.

Second hand you need to get:
2T-G head
cam cover
front timing cover
dummy cam
2T-G cams and sprockets
chain tensioners and chain guides
shims and buckets

OR... just work the 3T head, they are ok.

starni_boy
29th March 2007, 10:09 PM
so the ae86 crossmember will bolt straight into a t18 with out mods i guess. hmm this will be good i think. and a ke70 rack and column, easy done.

Jonny Rochester
29th March 2007, 10:47 PM
Um as I was saying, I don't think the column will just bolt in. You will need to swap a few more parts, and cut the firewall, drill holes etc...

stouty
1st April 2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks thats a big help.

Hokey
2nd April 2007, 07:47 AM
yeh go the hybrid engines. alot of fun and a great sound from those carbs http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Brendo
2nd April 2007, 10:40 AM
stouty, i dont even know if u would need to change to rack and pinion? t18 steering box ftw they produce MASS amounts of lock with slight mods ask bustin hes got my old t18, it can near do u turns within a disabled spot yo haha

Bustin_86
2nd April 2007, 11:15 AM
Righto, ive decided to sell my sprinter, so im gonna be putting a 4age into my t18 soonish... hopefully before the end of the year. I have a pretty fresh 3tc in my shed so that will go in first whilst i look around for a decent 4age.

I will be keeping the steering box arrangement, simply because A) i cant be fucked rooting around with rack and pinion for only a mild increase in steering feel and http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/cool.gif I can get insane lock with the t18 setup. So i will just work around the arms etc with some custom extractors and or exhaust.

From what i know, all i will need is a fuel system, ecu, loom, engine, 4a bellhousing and some 4age mounts. I will be getting my mate to weld the ge mounts onto the 3tc crossmemember. He has made up some custom mounts for his 3t-gte to ke70 crossmember so i cant see this as posing a problem.

Hopefully it wont be all that difficult.

Jonny Rochester
2nd April 2007, 11:30 AM
All the Americans have said for years a 4A-GE just bolts into a TE72 with no mods to engine mounts. But I havn't done this myself to check.

Converting to rack and pinion is the harder part, as the TE72 column does not have any uni joints, and is on a different angle.

Bustin_86
2nd April 2007, 11:37 AM
In my belief... the conversion isnt entirely necessary. Whilst i do agree that rack and pinion feels better, the differences that i have found stop about there.

Ill have a crack with stock mounts but i doubt they will fit. If they dont.... i will just get my mate to weld me up some.

4AGE te72... *E-7* love.

Brendo
2nd April 2007, 11:38 AM
ahahaha gilly domestic market GDM hahahahaha