PDA

View Full Version : T3 camber tops

v-tec
27th March 2007, 05:43 PM
Hi all, im planning to purchase a set of T3 camber tops for my ae71.
The bloke that i am planning to purchase them off has been kind enough to give me some information regarding the part but i just need to find out some more stuff before i buy them.
I have heard that these may not fit too well without T3's replacement upper hat or something like this.

Has anyone bought these without the hat and had it fit fine?
Or if not what have you had to do to make it fit properely

Cheers all

Grant

parrot
28th March 2007, 11:07 AM
I have fitted mine with a standard diameter spring though shorter (AJPS). All bolted up ok though the spring could perhaps be better located. Of course, the role of the strut top is not to locate the spring, and my top spring locaters are very old and hard rubber and would normally be held captive by a longer spring. Having said that, this car is yet to go back on the road so cannot be more informative sorry. Are the T3 tops specifically designed for small diameter springs with adjustable platform or will they also suit standard diameter springs. Realistically I wil need to wire my springs in to stop them flopping about.

DRFT - 86
28th March 2007, 12:23 PM
just use the T3 upper hat system for the best possible result..

Gilly
28th March 2007, 01:12 PM
Grant runs non coilover springs though so it wouldn't really work properly. you could have the T3 hat on top of the stock 86 hat but that's a bit too ghetto for my liking.

Grant i have a spare set of 86 struts at home, i 'll have a bit of a play later today and see what would work. i think a spacer between the top and spring hat would work.

similar to what i did with my cusco tops and t3 hats.

v-tec
28th March 2007, 02:10 PM
OK cheers gilly, i think thats what jase has had to do with his... he got a set of cuscos and now has to get a spacer made up to space it out.
Piss easy stuff to get done, but didnt really wanna have to do it

None the less its still worth getting the set of T3's with that than a set of cusco for an extra $150

jdmcoupe
28th March 2007, 02:37 PM
T3 ones are fucking shit, cusco is the best... (i have used both)

T3 are so hard to space up so they dont rub on the top hat of your coilovers, as the spherical bearing is reccessed in so u have to get a tiny spacer made up, but as the spacer has to sit up in the recessed section the coilvoer will only want to stay stright which is what really makes them gay..... some say u can use the top hat system, but (i have never used them but a friend had this problem) my mate used it with a set of semi slicks on and under hard loading (aroudn conrors) the coilvoer would bind up as the bearing is not strong enough to handle the large amount of force placed upon it, on the circuit, therefore rendering them useless...

another problem i had was the crap quailty sperical bearing that is in them after 6 month he started knocking and siezing up...

on the other hand cusco is the shit... they have a flat surface so u can machine up what ever sized spacer you would want and the specrical bearing is of a very high quailty....

i mustly see cusco shit as blong but i would higly recommend spending the extra cash now rather then later (cause u will get the shits with the t3 ones)...

just my 2c

poh_86
28th March 2007, 07:56 PM
T3 ones are fucking shit, cusco is the best... (i have used both)

T3 are so hard to space up so they dont rub on the top hat of your coilovers, as the spherical bearing is reccessed in so u have to get a tiny spacer made up, but as the spacer has to sit up in the recessed section the coilvoer will only want to stay stright which is what really makes them gay..... some say u can use the top hat system, but (i have never used them but a friend had this problem) my mate used it with a set of semi slicks on and under hard loading (aroudn conrors) the coilvoer would bind up as the bearing is not strong enough to handle the large amount of force placed upon it, on the circuit, therefore rendering them useless...

another problem i had was the crap quailty sperical bearing that is in them after 6 month he started knocking and siezing up...

on the other hand cusco is the shit... they have a flat surface so u can machine up what ever sized spacer you would want and the specrical bearing is of a very high quailty....

i mustly see cusco shit as blong but i would higly recommend spending the extra cash now rather then later (cause u will get the shits with the t3 ones)...

just my 2c[/b]

i agree with jdmcoupe i also found this problem that the spacer balljoint on the t3 camberplate cracked under heavy shocks which caused a knocking sound and a few others will confirm that as well

imho i rather pay the extra and get something that will last eg cusco tops and nothing less

spoon
29th March 2007, 09:55 PM
changing the stock strut tops (ae71/ke70) to ae86 ones reduces castor (bad) cos KE70/AE71 have their strut tops setup a little different to ae86's. they'll still work - but its not an ideal setup

biggo
30th March 2007, 08:19 AM
Its worth noting that the hks strut tops are also caster adjustable.

v-tec
5th April 2007, 10:43 PM
ok this is some good feedback about this stuff.
My mate had issues putting his Cusco tops into his 86 (standard spring on strut)
Not quite sure what the issue was, but this was basically resolved by making up a washer/spacer of the right size.
From the sounds of it this is a much harder task to create this washer for T3 tops?

I am also getting apparently new T3 tops for $120 cheaper which i think is a very fair deal, im just wondering if that still doesnt make it worth while getting the cusco ones?

jdmcoupe
7th April 2007, 05:25 PM
Seriously dont bother wasting ur time with T3 camber tops....learn from my mistakes http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

and yes t3 ones are harder to make spacers for... i explained this above...

120 is a good saving but not when u will upgrade anyway

v-tec
7th April 2007, 06:25 PM
yea sounds fair enough, i will be contacting streeter re: new cuscos and see how i go

ae71neo
7th April 2007, 06:47 PM
I bought my cusco's through perfectrun.com.au.

Atm they are $185 plus shipping, which wouldnt be to much. Could probably get them in for $230ish i reckon.

Most people want $350 for Cusco's.

Hot tip: buy directly from Japan.

http://www.perfectrun.com.au/performance%2...ouppermount.htm (http://www.perfectrun.com.au/performance%20parts/stability%20parts/pillouppermount/cuscopillouppermount.htm)

floody31
7th April 2007, 11:42 PM
I bought my cusco's through perfectrun.com.au.

Atm they are $185 plus shipping, which wouldnt be to much. Could probably get them in for $230ish i reckon.

Most people want $350 for Cusco's.

Hot tip: buy directly from Japan.

http://www.perfectrun.com.au/performance%2...ouppermount.htm (http://www.perfectrun.com.au/performance%20parts/stability%20parts/pillouppermount/cuscopillouppermount.htm)[/b]

Exactly what I was about to suggest. Someone said that cuscos were like $150 more than T3 ones, and I thought, wow, fuck , T3 ones must be like $100!

Which of course isn't the case. Perfectrun FTW! I've had no issues with them. Currently got cusco tops and a JIC carbon fibre strut brace for my HR31 coming through them.

verm69
10th April 2007, 04:05 PM
try www.greenline.jp

they get the cusco camber tops for $214 AUD and shipping is about $25....

they have HEAPS of stuff aswell...

ae71neo
10th April 2007, 09:13 PM
Yeah, ive used greenline aswell. Both perfect run and greenline are good to go through.

Greenline are Y21,021 and Perfectrun are Y18,000.

v-tec
10th April 2007, 10:41 PM
Pretty much gona buy these perfect run ones this week, cheers for all the tips boys