PDA

View Full Version : diff shimms

kiwi
29th March 2007, 07:00 PM
Hey guys
Broke one of the shimms that sits either side of the centre gearing unit half hour ago, i was just trying to put the newly welded centre back in the old ke70.
I have a shimm that is 0.40mm wider than the one i broke but i cant get the centre to even start to go in. So if i could get a shimm close to that original size or some thing that was a little under the originals width, would it be alright to put it in instead??

Cheers

ArJay
30th March 2007, 12:45 AM
I did the exact same thing about 2 weeks ago dude. They're called spacers...fucking pain in the arse...

I ended up just taking down the remaining one to a specialty diff place and asking the dude if he had one to suit. He went out the back and grabbed one and gave it to me for no charge http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif (needless to say I know where I'll be going to get diffs rebuilt in future...)

When putting the locked diff back in just make sure that the axles are well and truly out of the way or you won't be able to get the diff in at all. I ended up taking them out altogether. If there's even a mm of the axle still obstructing the diff it won't go in. With the axles out the diff should just slide in real easy....like ur mama...

Rory http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

PS: don't think putting in a spacer that's smaller would be a good idea bro. Freeplay in the diff would be a no-no as far as the teeth are concerned I would think...

Jonny Rochester
30th March 2007, 01:14 AM
If you can borrow the propper spreader tool (that streaches the diff housing apart), thats make it easier.

kiwi
30th March 2007, 08:54 AM
Cheers guys might go to a diff place today and see if i can get one similiar.
Does anyone know of a good place to start looking for one in the shire??

kiwi
30th March 2007, 01:46 PM
Difftechnics are good went down there and a bloke gave me a 6.13 spacer, cools dudes who know their stuff ( Yea its nice when you find a good place,m ill be going back there in the future).

Came home to put it in and it went straight in, now i brought a bottle of diff oil but am wondering what viscosity to would be the best to use use??

cheers

ArJay
31st March 2007, 12:59 AM
Can't remember off the top of my head dude but the automotive places usually have a little reference book with each make and the required fluid. I looked up my AE71 in that....
Know it does take 1litre tho (if that's any help)...

kiwi
3rd April 2007, 06:51 PM
Cheers mate yea got a couple of litres just in case, and still have half of it left.

Very nice