PDA

View Full Version : hilux diff conversion

peter_soj
29th March 2007, 09:29 PM
Hey team,
Just a few quick questions, im putting a hilux diff in my Rolla and intent convertion it from 5 stud to 4, is it safe to weld up the old holes or is the metal not suitable for this. Im a CNC machine operator so redrilling and refinishing the hub ends is no probs.

Second question, i intend to have a heafty hand break after this so do peaple recomend i keep the stock hilux brakes or to convert to something else? I'd rather avoid putting R31 disks on the back, but if people can convince me i can have a kick arse hand brake without going hydrolic im cool with that and will just mill up some brakets.

Also if anyone else thats done this diff conversion, im all ears for any pointers

Thanks guys

70XIN
29th March 2007, 09:55 PM
Hey team,
Just a few quick questions, im putting a hilux diff in my Rolla and intent convertion it from 5 stud to 4, is it safe to weld up the old holes or is the metal not suitable for this. Im a CNC machine operator so redrilling and refinishing the hub ends is no probs.

Second question, i intend to have a heafty hand break after this so do peaple recomend i keep the stock hilux brakes or to convert to something else? I'd rather avoid putting R31 disks on the back, but if people can convince me i can have a kick arse hand brake without going hydrolic im cool with that and will just mill up some brakets.

Also if anyone else thats done this diff conversion, im all ears for any pointers

Thanks guys[/b]

I can't comment on the welding part, i will be getting driveline services to carry out the welding work.

However, with the brakes, if you are after a hefty handbrake .. nothing really beats a good set of drums, they will lock up every time, especially something of the hilux size.

Gilly
30th March 2007, 10:48 AM
yeah drums will always be a more effective handbrake than a caliper operated handbrake setup.

peter_soj
2nd April 2007, 12:45 AM
Does anyone have info on welding the stud holds?

bahnugget
2nd April 2007, 02:17 PM
you shouldn't have to. there should be sufficient metal to just drill 3 new holes.

as for the brake setup, you can use MA61 supra stuff, its a disc setup with an internal drum handbrake, best of both worlds. i'll try and dig up the website (theres a guide, u might find it on google).

edit: here it is: CLICKY (http://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/technical/mx23/hiluxdiff.html)

albertos
2nd April 2007, 09:26 PM
[quote]
you shouldn't have to. there should be sufficient metal to just drill 3 new holes.

this is wrong advise

u need to knock out the old studs and plug weld them up ,machine then drill your 4 new holes in between the old holes

but if your not a good welder get it done at a shop so u dont kill someone when your wheels fall off

EVOSTi
2nd April 2007, 09:40 PM
why is it not good enough to leave the old holes? have you personally seen an instance where a wheel has fallen off?

albertos
2nd April 2007, 10:43 PM
maybe draw 5 holes on paper then draw your 4 new ones that are a small radius and youll understand

i had a 9" diff in my hilux and i got a shop to change over the stud pattern after a week i changed my wheels and all the studs had cracked .took it back and all they could say was an apprentice done the job and they had to get me new axles made up