PDA

View Full Version : Tercel Diff

flamingheads
30th March 2007, 04:16 PM
I've got a 1989 AE95 AWD corolla (also known as a Tercel and an SR5). Something in the rear is noisy (probably the diff) and a cheap rear end from an 1986 tercel has come up and I was wondering if it would fit on? Anybody know?

slydar
30th March 2007, 04:39 PM
check the build plate of both vehicles. if theyre the same prefic (letter) then it will fit. but seeing as your car is awd youll have to ensure the rest of the code matches (or atleast the ratio). otherwise your front wheels will be turning at a differant speed to your rears.

rthy
30th March 2007, 04:59 PM
im pretty sure the ae95 uses a drum to drum t series diff

yoshimitsu9
30th March 2007, 05:01 PM
oooohhh they have a couple at pick pay and go

flamingheads
31st March 2007, 01:48 AM
I've heard from a few people that AE95s have T series, plus it looks the same (not that you'd notice a difference I guess).
So based on minutes of dodgy research it seems that they dont have the same diff, which raises the question: does anyone have a cheap T series diff centre?

Jonny Rochester
31st March 2007, 03:47 AM
In Australia, the only complete diff center or axle assembly that will fit a AE95 is another item from a AE95. This is because it has the later T series bigger axles, and nothing else in Australia has that, that I know off. A whole axle assembly drum to drum from a TE72 or AE86 may almost fit, but the stud pattern for the wheels is wrong.

I think you are better to find the actual problem with the car, like a wheel bearing noise or something, and fix it.

Fun facts:
AL25 is a Tercel (also called Sprinter Carib in Japan, and posiably Corolla II?)
AE95 is a Corolla for sure, not Tercel. (called Sprinter Carib in Japan)
AE95 came as both sedan and wagon, both 4WD.
AE95 called AllTrack in America

flamingheads
1st April 2007, 02:00 AM
Ok thanks for that. Looks like I should put some time into looking for a problem or hope it goes away http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/blink.gif