PDA

View Full Version : wot do u reckon.16v tyrbs or 20v turbs?

supershaneae86
2nd April 2007, 02:26 PM
hey guys.wot do you reckon I should do??after wathing the ignition dvd and the special on baue the show yates's 86, Im having second thoughts on goin N/A..help me change my mind http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif [attachment=13871:attachment]

Bustin_86
2nd April 2007, 02:28 PM
Do whatever you want... both systems have their pro's and con's.

When will people learn that 86's arent all about being the fastest car around though!

ae86hachiroku
2nd April 2007, 02:32 PM
what is your application?

i'm very N/A biased as i am a purist and believe the only thing the AE86 was ever meant to run to keep the balance is n/a.
turbocharging it completely changes the characteristics of the car, ask Matt-AE86 about it http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

supershaneae86
2nd April 2007, 02:36 PM
Oh I do know that traditionally they should be kept N/A.plust it would be cheaper goin na.but the power of a turbs is sooo much more differernt to NA.Im not sayin im deffinatly doin it..just a thought thats all.just weighing up the pros and cons.plus it would be more drivable in a way. not having to rev it to 9600rpm to get the same powa as a turbs.

supershaneae86
2nd April 2007, 02:38 PM
It would be cheaper in a way.coz just the money spent on balancing 4 the NA could buy me a turbs and manifold.I would balance the turbs mota 2..I would just get the NA more extensivly balanced.

Gilly
2nd April 2007, 03:13 PM
buy a ke they don't have the stigma 86's have you can do whatever you want with them http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

i am not a purist, whatever works for the lowest possible amount of cash wins.

jono86
2nd April 2007, 03:18 PM
dude..... its called a TURBO not a turbs.
and you say balancing would cost as much as a manifold, do you even know what you are balancing or did you just hear it somewhere?
all i can say is see if you can have a ride/drive in one of each and make up your mind from there.

ae86hachiroku
2nd April 2007, 03:19 PM
if you dont want to rev it insanely high for some power, cams in the range of 272/264 should be great for mid range.

Bustin_86
2nd April 2007, 03:29 PM
Balancing can be immensely costly... if you only plan on developing the engine to the cost of a manifold, maybe you are better off with a turbo setup.

anastasios
2nd April 2007, 03:39 PM
drifting any na car successfully is an awsome feeling you should know when the time is to upgrade and build a motor to your potential

supershaneae86
2nd April 2007, 03:53 PM
Ive already had my spunta with a ze in it.and I kno its turbo not turbs.and Im just comparing prices.and I have done my research.so jono 86 just chill man.Im not having a go im just startinga thread to find out what other peoples apinions are.and jono you shouldnt judge people before you even know them.I know what I am balancing.and I didnt just hear it sum where.oh sorry its "some" not sum.didn't know that it is a spelling comp on this site.haha just jokes.

supershaneae86
2nd April 2007, 03:55 PM
and I vote 4 gilly.I was goin to get a ke.they r soo cool.wanted 1 with a small port 4a.that would be cool.plus I would save more $$$

Bustin_86
2nd April 2007, 04:15 PM
As i said man, do whatever the fuck you want!!! Make yourself happy, its the most important thing.

ae86hachiroku
2nd April 2007, 04:18 PM
if you are truly n/a you wouldn't need to ask people for their opinion, look to ueo, hibino when they were n/a for inspiration.. yoshioka too if you dont count the nos http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

supershaneae86
2nd April 2007, 04:19 PM
yea.you gotta love the Nos tho!!

ae86hachiroku
2nd April 2007, 04:22 PM
yea i'm planning on installing nos on my big engine if its not enough to take on the big boys

supershaneae86
2nd April 2007, 04:24 PM
NOS!! that would be phat!!wots your BIG engine??

ae86hachiroku
2nd April 2007, 04:38 PM
page 3 or 4 on members ride look for mine http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

jezz
2nd April 2007, 04:43 PM
you sound like you should be paying attention in school and not worrying about cars :S

ae86hachiroku
2nd April 2007, 04:44 PM
me? lol

Bustin_86
2nd April 2007, 04:56 PM
You can be enthused at any age about cars, dont make generalisations.

supershaneae86
2nd April 2007, 05:00 PM
who's gzepwr talkin bout??lol.probably me.haha.im used to sms'ing so even my typin is in short hand.hahah.ae86hachiroku.your hachi is intense!!sooo much history and love is in that car.and it is mega tough.who did the flaring of the front guards??looks heaps nice.I used to do the same as you.drfting around the industrial area.lol.did it with my dad once.he doesnt fully support me doin it tho.haha.

jezz
2nd April 2007, 05:18 PM
^^^ Posts like above makes it hard for someone to take you seriously, take a bit more time to post and all will be well. Kinda annoying to read such a poorly written post. Hell in my current condition, if i can do it, any one can post properly, and no i dont mean i have been drinking either!

jono86
2nd April 2007, 06:21 PM
yea, the only reason you seem like you have no clue is cos when you say stuff like turbs and sum and shit like that it makes you come accross as a 14y/o takumi wannabe, you might not be but thats how it looks. if youve already had a ze you should have a fair idea of what you want..... why did you take the ZE out? wanted more power? or less? its all your decision.

supershaneae86
3rd April 2007, 09:51 AM
I guess thats fair enough.I'm a newbie to this site so I didnt know how strict it was.I took the ze out because it was to hard to get engineered.plus I had no money.But that was nearly 4 years ago back in highschool.sorry guys for making my ytpin hard to understand.ill stop beaing slack.

anastasios
3rd April 2007, 11:01 AM
my god i cant believe you took out a ze because it was too hard! what motor did you put back in?

supershaneae86
3rd April 2007, 12:01 PM
I havent got one in.its empty! thats why I got this thread going to find out what other peoples opinions are.I like the idea of either a big bad ass N/A or a turbo.

Joel-AE86
3rd April 2007, 01:03 PM
Just drive what ya got hard!

A GZE has ample power to have ample fun whether it be driving hard in the hills, sliding in the hills and even sliding and racing on the track!

I used to have ample power with my GE. I'm upgrading to a GTE only because I want to keep up with nissan junk sliding on the track.

What suspenion do you have in your car?

supershaneae86
3rd April 2007, 01:13 PM
my car is in the SA section.titled introduce myselpand my ae86.its all in there.I was running koni shocks up front,booge shocks rear and super low kingies rear and med lows up front, and with Maxi big sway bars.nolathane bushes.ect.was like drivin a go kart!!sooo much fun.yea i wnt a 4agte aswell.

JDMJNKY
3rd April 2007, 02:11 PM
go to my kermit green boosted 86 thread its got lots of pics and info on 16v turbo setup makinng 169.4rwkw ATM

supershaneae86
3rd April 2007, 02:19 PM
where abouts is the thread? members rides??cheers.

Joel-AE86
3rd April 2007, 03:36 PM
King springs are junk a sprinter IMO.

Invest in some good coilovers up front, or some good rate springs...and you'd be surprised at how much better your car can handle!

supershaneae86
3rd April 2007, 03:55 PM
oh yea i know.kingies are poo poo cakes.they came on the car tho.Im thinking of getting a D2 coil over kit.or going through AJPS. thinkin either 6kg front and 4kg rears.or 8kg front and 6kg rears.wll have to spot weld strut towers also..or rivvet them.

Joel-AE86
3rd April 2007, 03:58 PM
Why woud you have to spot weld strut towers? And why would you consider rivetting them as an alternative to this? :s

Go with AJPS coilover...tried and trusted.

supershaneae86
3rd April 2007, 04:02 PM
oh im just sayin im rivetting and welding and stuff to stiffen up the car.Even my corolla daily driver has a seam welded boot!!haha..plus Ive heard stories that when you run coils in sprinters they tend to crack around the strut tops.has it happened to you??

chapl
3rd April 2007, 04:04 PM
wait a month or two and ill have my n/a engine built... (4k spent)
i can show you if you like when its done..

Bustin_86
3rd April 2007, 04:08 PM
It is recommended to reinforce the rear mounts because they are under more stress but the front would be under no more stress than using normal aftermarket suspension...

supershaneae86
3rd April 2007, 04:10 PM
yea for sure chapl.that would be a great help.plus I could take some pickies!!Are you up for a cruize fri nite??read the SA/Adelaide section.thread "friday night ill be in town" should be good.im going in my ae82 twinky.

Joel-AE86
3rd April 2007, 04:10 PM
oh im just sayin im rivetting and welding and stuff to stiffen up the car.Even my corolla daily driver has a seam welded boot!!haha..plus Ive heard stories that when you run coils in sprinters they tend to crack around the strut tops.has it happened to you??[/b]

Dont rivet whatever you do! The original spot welds are as effective as riveting.

I've had some extreme ass 12kg/mm coilies in my hachi for over a year of hard driving and didn't have any issues. The chassis however could've been a lot stiffer. I don't believe that cracks would be a very common failure method for front ends, I'd imagine seams would split (i.e. spot welds shear). before anything else.

My new hachi has been completely seam welded.

supershaneae86
3rd April 2007, 04:12 PM
got any pics of your hachi?hould be interested in where and how you carried out the spot welding.

supershaneae86
3rd April 2007, 04:14 PM
any one else interested in a cruize friday night??12KG!! that would have been as stiff as a MOFO!!

chapl
3rd April 2007, 04:15 PM
my car is still defected untill next week...
then engine gets built.

ae86hachiroku
3rd April 2007, 04:18 PM
shane i uploaded some pics of welding of my car on my members ride if you wanna see how its usually done.

supershaneae86
3rd April 2007, 04:34 PM
what page of members rides??

Joel-AE86
3rd April 2007, 04:43 PM
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/7096/10002812yq.jpg

Note I have also added some "I" beam style bracing in the corners which you can see in the pic.

supershaneae86
3rd April 2007, 04:49 PM
cool.that would have made a big difference.are you running strut braces and a cage also??

Joel-AE86
3rd April 2007, 04:50 PM
Strut brace yes, roll cage at this point no. But I will eventually.

supershaneae86
3rd April 2007, 04:52 PM
hey joel are you coming out Friday night??

Joel-AE86
3rd April 2007, 05:01 PM
Prolly not. I don't have a car at the mo.

driftke70
4th April 2007, 02:00 AM
im running na at the moment, i feel i am very close to having enough power, the extra power and more importantly response i will be getting from adding quads, aftermaket management and cam gears to my car quite soon. I too as joel said will be going 4agte eventually, purely for the fact that even though i may be able to match angle and speed with the dattos, when i eventually get more involved in comps i need smoke.

supershaneae86
4th April 2007, 10:04 AM
haha.yea thats fair enough,smoke is good + it smells nice!!just dont want to have to spend money going N/A then going turbo.specially when you are trying to save for a house!would rather just do it once then twice thats all.

Bustin_86
4th April 2007, 11:35 AM
Decide what you want witht the car then i suppose bro... if you wanna take on the nissans like the above blokes then it seems that the 4agte is the necessary option?

But if your more like me and just want a fun car and are willing to spend a bit... go N/A. Its just how old school toyota should be http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

Joel-AE86
4th April 2007, 11:39 AM
i may be able to match speed with the dattos, when i eventually get more involved in comps i need smoke.[/b]

I doubt that on most tracks.

Most nissan's I have driven against are practically 12 second cars. From a standing start I'd always get beaten by 5 car lengths into the first turn at Mallala, and then on other straights...i'd get cained. Sure you may be able to enter corners fast, but not as fast as a good driver in a quick nissan.

Fuck smoke IMO...style is worth more than smoke.

supershaneae86
4th April 2007, 12:09 PM
point noted.I love the sound of a NA 4a revving off its titties through ITB aswell.but turbo power is pretty fun!! nothing beats 3rd gear drifties or launching and getting 3rd gearies!!haha.but the response of a NA 4a is awesome!

Bustin_86
4th April 2007, 12:14 PM
If a worked 4age cant drift in 3rd there is something seriously wrong...

I reckon Joel has a good point here lol.

Style FTW. Look at Ueo... he manages to win D1 with 180 horse.

driftke70
4th April 2007, 12:16 PM
smoke doesnt mean much to me, but it does to shitty judges.

the dattos dont hold corner speed.

supershaneae86
4th April 2007, 12:21 PM
yea ueo has nos though..doesnt he??i should just buy a KE with a 4a already in it.drive that as a daily driver and do up my sprinter!lol.

Bustin_86
4th April 2007, 12:23 PM
No, he doesnt.

He has balls of steel http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

Edit- I think its Yoshioka (spelling...sorry) that has the NOS. Blue Trueno two door. Usually seen on two wheels.

driftke70
4th April 2007, 12:27 PM
ueo has 130ps

if cars in comps pull away from you judges take that into account that you are down on power, if you manage to stick with em or pull more angle they will still give you points, then when you lead just mess up there start get them nice and laggy and shred.

supershaneae86
4th April 2007, 12:33 PM
ahaha.yea.have you got the option dvd when they are coming into courners at like 185km!!and there was a hachi with a rotor in it!!

Bustin_86
4th April 2007, 12:45 PM
I swear Ueo has like 180 ps?

LOL at keepin the nissans lagged up http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

anastasios
4th April 2007, 12:47 PM
have you considered the s13 strut legs adam sells on hr?

supershaneae86
4th April 2007, 12:53 PM
haha.somethin's a missin in the nissan!

Joel-AE86
4th April 2007, 03:55 PM
A 4AGZE making the power yours makes should have no issues at all sliding 3rd gear. Hell my 4A used to make just over 70rwkw and could slide in 4th...tho it couldn't maintain speed.

supershaneae86
4th April 2007, 04:21 PM
haha 4ac powa!!! yea it used to step out in 2nd and a bit of 3rd.my final drive ratio wasnt that good though.3.5! plus my clutch started to go.haha too much clutch popping.

driftke70
5th April 2007, 12:32 AM
i thought 3.7 was the tallest you could get.

Joel-AE86
5th April 2007, 01:41 PM
haha 4ac powa!!! yea it used to step out in 2nd and a bit of 3rd.my final drive ratio wasnt that good though.3.5! plus my clutch started to go.haha too much clutch popping.[/b]

Nah...it was a 4AGE bigport lol.

What diff centre do you have? I've never heard of an S-Series or T-Series with that lower ratio!

I have a 4.1:1 in my hachi and it it good.

hilton
5th April 2007, 02:13 PM
and I vote 4 gilly.I was goin to get a ke.they r soo cool.wanted 1 with a small port 4a.that would be cool.plus I would save more $$$[/b]

whoope that swhat i have lol

driftke70
5th April 2007, 04:33 PM
i run 4.3

supershaneae86
6th April 2007, 11:53 AM
I'm pretty sure it was a 3.5, because when I blew an axel, the pinion got stuffed.hacked off some teeth, so i used the other diff housing that had a different pinion in it with my TRD centre.then did the old lay under the car, turn the tail shaft and count how many times it turned compared to the tyre.and I think it ended up being 3.5.I maybe wrong though.It was a pretty long time ago!

Joel-AE86
6th April 2007, 04:28 PM
Yeh I doubt it wil be a 3.5, more likely a 3.7 from a T18.

The ratio is usually stamped on the crownwheel.

gottago
6th April 2007, 06:36 PM
i personally would go for the turbo route, as its cheaper for more power, better bang for buck..

go in a 200rwkw turbocharged car

then go in a 150rwhp n/a car and tell me which u think is more fun overall. personally i love the rush and the 3rd gear spins on a straight road..

y settle for less power if more power is heaps more fun?? i think "fun" is the key word as thats all most cars are for enthusiasts...

you dont have to be a purist, i go for what works. not for what toyota engines can bolt into the car...

supershaneae86
6th April 2007, 08:25 PM
^^^^^^^^^ I agree.right TURBO it is...haha

Granto
7th April 2007, 07:05 PM
Ha, you can stick your turbos http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

you should know what suits your driving style tho http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

sound like turbo is good 4 u.