PDA

View Full Version : Q about oil on plugs

DRFT - 86
3rd April 2007, 04:20 PM
Just a quick question to determine how badly I should be worried about my engines health....

took my ignition leads off today and noticed I had oil on the top of the plugs and on the/around the boots..

couldnt be too good..

any insight.......................?

cheers

Bustin_86
3rd April 2007, 04:25 PM
I changed my plugs the other day, found that Num. 2 and 3 plugs were covered in oil.

Im not to stressed though because i know that my car has fucked valve seals which is the cause of the oil.

Possibly you are having the same problem?

Valve seal problems are also evident when you start the car up, it should blow smoke on startup but then it should be pretty tight once the car is running... Does your car dispay these symptoms as well?

Valve seals arent a cause for great concern... though there is no such thing as a good problem either http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

DRFT - 86
3rd April 2007, 04:46 PM
no never blows smoke... never had oil on the plugs like this before so its interesting...

Joel-AE86
3rd April 2007, 04:54 PM
oil on the top of the plugs and on the/around the boots..[/b]

So you mean only in the spark plug wells? As in the electrode n shit on the inside of your engine was OK?

If there is oil around the rubber boots that sit over the leads, then its likely you simply have an oil leak. Oil can't pass through the threads of the plugs from inside your engine! Sometimes the cam cover gaskets can leak oil?

driftism
3rd April 2007, 04:55 PM
check to see if it's leaking from your cam cover seals into the middle of the head... cos it could run into the plug areas as they are the lowest point

DRFT - 86
3rd April 2007, 06:23 PM
yeh it seems a bit strange, havent taken the plugs out as I dont have the socket on me.. The cam cover seals were replaced around a year ago but will have another sus anyhow..

would having the oil level slightly over full and lots of thrashing have anything to do with it... ? ie: a pressure build up or something causing it to end up there somehow...?

although said physically impossible..

dustyae86
3rd April 2007, 06:37 PM
yeh it seems a bit strange, havent taken the plugs out as I dont have the socket on me.. The cam cover seals were replaced around a year ago but will have another sus anyhow..

would having the oil level slightly over full and lots of thrashing have anything to do with it... ? ie: a pressure build up or something causing it to end up there somehow...?

although said physically impossible..[/b]

rocker cover gasket 100% sure

DRFT - 86
4th April 2007, 09:07 AM
sweet as, cheers for the help...

Bustin_86
4th April 2007, 03:16 PM
When i help out a friend at his shop, we continually had a 626 coming in with the rocker cover leaking oil.

We put a new seal in it, and it kept leaking, so it might be a good idea to do what we did and put a dab of silicone in the corners and line the rest of the gasket with a thin line of gasket sealant (that red shiz) before putting the rocker cover back on.

Hope that helps Niz

supershaneae86
4th April 2007, 03:43 PM
maybe spilled oil when topping up??Ive done that before and it has setteled around the spark lead boots.