PDA

View Full Version : 4AGE

lo_rolla
3rd April 2007, 08:41 PM
So I got this problem with my 4AGE... it sounds like a 4AC. You know that ticka ticka ticka ticka ticka sound that old carby cars make under load? Well my GE is making that noise between 1500 and 4000Rpm... I'm getting worried cos I haven't had the chance to get one of the tradies from work to listen yet and we close for good tomorrow...

Also my idle is dropping and rising when I'm at the lights. It's worse with my thermo fan on..

Any ways thanks for your help dudes

Damien.

dirty_86
3rd April 2007, 09:06 PM
ticka ticka tickia lawn mower sound? possible ur exhaust gasket cracked or ur headers loose.. werid noise from 1-4k.. is it a pinging sound? like rocks in ur motor.. where are u located?

lo_rolla
3rd April 2007, 09:14 PM
I'm in the redlands... Hard to explain the noise but that's the general idea. I will get a tradesmen to look tomorrow, and luckily I am getting a new exhaust fitted this week.

Thanks man.

Also are the big end sizes between a 4AGEU and a Silvertop 20v the same?

20sil
4th April 2007, 06:10 AM
That dropping and rising of the revs is called 'hunting', alot of people on this site have including me. Ive been told its either a vacuum leak or the cold idle valve on your throttle body.

ke70dave
4th April 2007, 08:56 AM
its not pinging its head off is it? have you played with the ignition timing at all?

supershaneae86
4th April 2007, 03:39 PM
could be the idle control valve in the throttle body??gets blocked with coolant some times.mine has done that before.the noise that was happening was coming from a bad earth.so i reconnected and then connected all my relays,battery and fuses, and it dissapeared.I have to do it ance every 4 months.no biggie.

supershaneae86
4th April 2007, 03:41 PM
but if the tika taka noise is loud and at bout 1500rpm then again at 4000rpm it could be low on oil or beggining of big end bearing rattle.I get it at 2600rpm then again at 4500rpm.just bearing clearence,not a knock or any thing.the motor has done 296000km! sees the limiter every day!!that might explain it!!haha

dustyae86
4th April 2007, 05:12 PM
timing

lo_rolla
4th April 2007, 06:34 PM
Haven't touched the timing, but that doesn't mean it's not out.

I don't think it's low oil as I only did that about 500km ago. I don't think it's a big end as I only have 108,000km on it.

So what I should do is adjust my idle control, get my exhaust checked, reground the electricals and check my timing?

Thanks for your help guys http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

selk
4th April 2007, 08:07 PM
has the noise got louder ? day by day

lo_rolla
4th April 2007, 08:32 PM
Nah it stays the same...

And this after noon I ripped a big skid cos it was the last day of work then drifted most the way home and it kinda died down a bit...

jono86
4th April 2007, 08:48 PM
lol maybe your car wants you to thrash it more http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

lo_rolla
8th April 2007, 04:43 PM
Found the problem.

Crack in the extractors, around the weld.
[attachment=14100:attachment] Pipe number 3.

racsov
9th April 2007, 03:33 PM
So today under further inspection it seems my timing belt is also missing teeth, which I'm guessing is causing my rough idle.

lo_rolla

devolutio
9th April 2007, 06:59 PM
So today under further inspection it seems my timing belt is also missing teeth, which I'm guessing is causing my rough idle.

lo_rolla[/b]

WTF? missing teeth? how many teeth? obviously not enough for it to jump a tooth - but i doubt that has got anything to do with rough idles.

also - hunting is always caused by more air than the metered amount for idle getting into the inlet plenum (past the throttle body). I'm pretty sure it ignores a high idle while the engine is cold (while the "idle control valve" is letting in extra air). think of the revving not as it going up and down, but the amount of air wanting the engine to run at say 2500rpm, and the ecu cutting the fuel (rev limiting) at 1500rpm when the idle contact is closed (tps knows your foot is off the accel). fix your bloody cars people!