PDA

View Full Version : ae86 struts into ae71

Course_Out
5th April 2007, 05:56 PM
Ok, just got my car back together, running ae86 struts/brakes, 8kg AJPS springs, Cusco RCA, t3 camber tops and powersteer arms. Everything else is standard ae71 fare

My issue is that it will not self centre the steering, I have to steer out of corners so i can make the car go straight (if that makes sense). Had a chat to the guys at my local workshop and they reckon the caster is totally wrong.

Have i missed something? should I have added caster arms or used ae86 lca? i'm lost and confused, please help!

Gilly
5th April 2007, 06:11 PM
i know exactly what you mean

get a wheel alignment

castor, toe will be way out

Course_Out
5th April 2007, 06:23 PM
Hmm, i did and it still does it. What should the settings be? i noticed you used ae86 lca Gilly, was there a reason?

I'm going to my first drift day on Monday and the thing won't self correct!

Gilly
5th April 2007, 06:27 PM
ghey

i used an 86 arm as it had the 86 steering arm on it already http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

definately sounds like a castor issue. i maxxed mine out and haven't had an issue other than tyre to guard clearance at the front of the guard.

i do my wheel alignments with a tape measure and chalk http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif so i don't have "settings" as such

Course_Out
5th April 2007, 06:31 PM
ok then I will just jump under there and wind the caster to max, cheers Gilly!

Brendo
5th April 2007, 06:32 PM
^^^^ whatever works for ya haha, is this a GDM spec wheel alignment lol

Gilly
5th April 2007, 07:19 PM
just max it out too see if it corrects the problem. i probably aim for a lesser setting than full, i run full for rim to inner guard clearance at full lock http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif (rear of front wheel arch)

i've put 86 struts in 70's a few times now and i can't ever say i've had that problem. mine never had p/s arms straight up though, as in p/s arms with stock caster. my caster was already pulled forward when i fitted the p/s arms.

dunnio give it a go, let me know if you have success

Hen is a total nutcase
6th April 2007, 04:34 AM
Yes, you need caster. As said, max it out. It should be balanced side to side, but you'll quickly work it out, if it isn't balanced the car will tend to pull one way.

Having said that, backyard alignments are pretty crap. Just get it done properly. Don't listen to what they tell you about settings, just get max caster and whatever toe you want. Some people say toe-in, others toe-out.

Hen

terryo
6th April 2007, 08:24 AM
caster is set by both the location of the strut top and the lower caster arm. Not all the strut tops are the same and the centre bearing hole is in a different position. If you look down on the strut top, is the centre hole in the midlle, forward or back of the centre of the tirangle mounting bolts.????. More caster requires the hole to be back towards the driver. because of the strut length, a small error makes a big caster difference. There are 2 different mounts on AE86, and at least 2 different ones on 71's I have seen. Who knows what you have got???.
On stock parts, my memory is the best you can get is about 4 degrees of caster. and 1 degree of camber. I agree, back yard alignments are not practical as making 1 small change, changes other things you cant measure.

anastasios
7th April 2007, 01:32 AM
ae86 strut tops have less camber than stock 71 tops, im not sure if this relates with the cusco camber top

Course_Out
8th April 2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah, its less caster with ae86 tops. Tried to alter the caster tonight but don't have the right size spanner (everything but!)

I will drive around eth problem for now and rectify it later, thanks for your help guys

.:2DRFTU:.
8th April 2007, 10:24 PM
Hey man, this is a good read. If i could... you'd have some positive rep http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Joel-AE86
11th April 2007, 02:04 PM
Get a 22mm spanner and MAX out your Castor!

Then she'll flick back to centre!