PDA

View Full Version : how to tell if you got a diff

robert nguyen
17th April 2007, 12:15 AM
hello
is there any way of finding out if you have a lsd or not without opening your diff?

dr1ft-pig
17th April 2007, 12:19 AM
jack yourr car up and get someone to hold 1 wheel while u spin the other... if it spins its non lsd

Hen is a total nutcase
17th April 2007, 05:52 AM
Do a burnout.

2 black lines = LSD
1 black line = Open or rooted LSD
Bang = It needed upgrading anyway

Wally
17th April 2007, 07:25 AM
Do a burnout.

2 black lines = LSD
Bang = It needed upgrading anyway[/b]
hahaha nice scenerios

poh_86
17th April 2007, 12:24 PM
havent had the opportunity to get a guy to hold the other wheel

but just full lock and drive forwards and backwards

if it skips its a good indication http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

stefan
17th April 2007, 07:09 PM
locker FTW

you will instantly know what you have

puzzigully
17th April 2007, 07:15 PM
a really fucked open wheeler will spin 2..

how to tell if youve got an lsd? drive the fucking thing..

robert nguyen
17th April 2007, 09:03 PM
Do a burnout.

2 black lines = LSD
Bang = It needed upgrading anyway[/b]

yea i tried that... 2 lines.. but my dads 97' hiace van can do that too hahah
its just.. my mates 180 makes that wheel churping sound when it turns and mine is silent... unless i apply lots of power...
haven't had the chance to try that wheel spinning thing wit someone holding it.. so thanks people

terryo
17th April 2007, 09:38 PM
the factory 'torsen" LSD like in GT4's, RAV4, MR2 etc, will act just like an open diff, and the opposite wheel won't spin if you turn 1.
Assuming you have an AE86, then they only came with plate type diffs and in that case, the opposite wheel will turn in the same direction as the one you spin.
if you have a plate type LSD, then you can get an idea of its health by doing a limiting torque test. jack up 1 wheel and turn it forwards. if you can turn the wheel/tyre easily by hand, then its sick. the plates have worn out and need re-setting or replacing. ideally, the "cross torque" for a street driven car is about 80ft-lbs. For a racer, double this. we have a special tool made to test this