PDA

View Full Version : SR20 KE70 backyard conversion?

RussianMafia000
17th April 2007, 09:51 PM
By backyard I mean my dad's home mechanical bussiness with most of the tools I think would be neccessary. But what I'm wanting to know is it all pretty straight forward stuff?

The reason I ask is because I would rather not fork out $2500-$4000 for a workshop to do the work if my dad and I would be able to do it here for ALOT less..

Is there any sort of guide on what to do that has been written up?
Am I better off getting a full sr20det half-cut or just the engine/box/loom?
And would the front brakes from the s13 be easily swapped without to much hassle?

Also, what is the going price for a half-cut these days roughly??

Sorry for all the questions, but any help would be much appreciated. Especially from anyone that has done the conversion themselves.

Cheers, Matt.

gottago
17th April 2007, 09:57 PM
my mate did it in his backyard, long as your a bit mechanically minded and good at logical thinking its def easily achievable.. y pay 4k if u can do it in ya backyard, and know where every bolt went and no how to fix most problems that might come up?? thats worth more than 4k IMO

my mate did it with motor box loom, pretty sure he paid about $2500 for it from an importer.. prices vary between them.. or u could look at a ca18det swap those motor box looms are pretty cheap sub $1500 if u hunt around..

s13 front struts and LCA's can be used, search on here for "s13" theres like a 15 page write up on it..

theres a guy on here who mounts sr20's or maybe it was ca18det's to ae86's but i think the crossmember are interchangable and u might be able to use the modded mounts then just make up a gearbox crossmember like my mate did, the only big problem that i know of is the clutch pedal setup is a pain in the ass, bit of grinding for the gearbox to fit in, might have to move the handbrake back abotu 20mm to clear the gearstick..

any questions hit here up i remember a bit from what he did

ke70dave
17th April 2007, 11:26 PM
yep do it in your back yard, as has been said someone makes up SR conversion kits for AE crossmemebers, i think for SR you gota bash the tunnell a little to fit in the gearbox? not sure.. other than that its all relatively "bolt in" if you can think abit, your gonna have to do a fair bit of custom stuff, like making up various mounting brackets for whatever but no real different to bolting in a 4age. just to a crapload of research to work out exactly what you are in for, before you start pulling everything appart.

yoshimitsu9
18th April 2007, 12:09 AM
my mate did it in his backyard, long as your a bit mechanically minded and good at logical thinking its def easily achievable.. y pay 4k if u can do it in ya backyard, and know where every bolt went and no how to fix most problems that might come up?? thats worth more than 4k IMO

my mate did it with motor box loom, pretty sure he paid about $2500 for it from an importer.. prices vary between them.. or u could look at a ca18det swap those motor box looms are pretty cheap sub $1500 if u hunt around..

s13 front struts and LCA's can be used, search on here for "s13" theres like a 15 page write up on it..

theres a guy on here who mounts sr20's or maybe it was ca18det's to ae86's but i think the crossmember are interchangable and u might be able to use the modded mounts then just make up a gearbox crossmember like my mate did, the only big problem that i know of is the clutch pedal setup is a pain in the ass, bit of grinding for the gearbox to fit in, might have to move the handbrake back abotu 20mm to clear the gearstick..

any questions hit here up i remember a bit from what he did[/b]

rb20 gear box lines up with the same hole http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif they are cheap as chips too considering most r32 drivers if wanting to upgrade their gearbox goes to rb25 gearbox

RussianMafia000
18th April 2007, 08:50 AM
Sounds like it shouldn't be too difficult, can anyone remember the guys name on here who makes up mounts/crossmembers?
I'm guessing the RB20 box will need to be mated to the sr? Not a straight bolt on job?

Brendo
18th April 2007, 10:32 AM
i reckon the rb box would bolt straight onto the sr, ...its nissan

Joel-AE86
18th April 2007, 02:02 PM
i reckon the rb box would bolt straight onto the sr, ...its nissan[/b]

Negative.

Otherwise...every wak nissan dwipter with an SR would run an RB box! You need a custom belhousing!

RussianMafia000
18th April 2007, 07:05 PM
Anyone know what the custom bellhousing would cost? If it's too much I think I could live with having the shifter a bit further back..

gottago
18th April 2007, 07:12 PM
Anyone know what the custom bellhousing would cost? If it's too much I think I could live with having the shifter a bit further back..[/b]

i had a 300rwkw fj20et with a r32 box converted to it cost $150 to convert the box and i sold it all converted for $500

the sr20det box will be fine just use that with the package... it takes 200rwkw for a while depending on drive style i know of plenty of daily driver 200rwkw stock internalled sr20's and boxes...

how much u looking to spend all up? what mods u got in ya mind?? lay it all out man leave nothing back i might be able to point u in the direction...

alex2602
18th April 2007, 07:35 PM
i reckon the rb box would bolt straight onto the sr, ...its nissan[/b]

wrong
also the rb20 box isn't much stronger than a s14 box. if your going to do it go for a r33 box their tuff.

RussianMafia000
18th April 2007, 08:53 PM
Only reason I was thinking the rb20 box is because of it putting the shifter almost where it is at now, instead of further back.

At the moment I'm just looking to get the car running with basic mods.
-3" exhaust straght through
-manual boost controller
-AVCR possibly or something similar
-fuel reg/injecters
-front mount
-decent diff >> any recommendations besides welding? After a LSD but don't want to pay too much..

After a while of driving like that I will be looking at upgrading the turbo,ecu etc.

alex2602
18th April 2007, 09:02 PM
-manual boost controller[/b]

i wouldn't bother. they spike pretty bad.
good thing about sr20det is their is so much aftermarket support.
i love my sr20det althought the other day i got to drive a ca18det s13 with about 180kw i loved it revving to 8thou whereas my sr20det i wont take past 7thou the owner insisted i shift at 8thou.

Javal
18th April 2007, 09:09 PM
-decent diff >> any recommendations besides welding? After a LSD but don't want to pay too much..[/b]

Hilux diff or R31 diff if you want rear discs. Both will handle the power, both have LSD's available, both will need to be cut n shut.

And a custom tailshaft, too.

RussianMafia000
18th April 2007, 09:31 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=337062)

-decent diff >> any recommendations besides welding? After a LSD but don't want to pay too much..[/b]

Hilux diff or R31 diff if you want rear discs. Both will handle the power, both have LSD's available, both will need to be cut n shut.

And a custom tailshaft, too.
[/b]

What do you mean by cut and shut? Is there alot involved with the hilux conversion? Price? Doesn't really bother me if I have rear discs or not.
And yeah I will be getting a 1 piece custom tailshaft if I go ahead with everything.

Do manula bc really spike that bad??

gottago
18th April 2007, 10:38 PM
cut and shut = cut down housing ( to fit the ae86 track width. u can also change the track here if u want and then respline the axles... with the r31' im pretty sure u just cut down one side of the diff as its lopsided to begin with... not sure on the hilux's but should be fairly similar cept its drum rear..

expect $2k for it ready-ish

ohh yeah the r33 rb25det is the best for those types, but the r32 is still plenty strong it can handle 200rwkw car no probs.. just leave the SRbox behind it, its plenty strong enough man.. from what u describe u wont be making massive power for it anyway...

go with an electronic boost controller the avc-r would be the goer.. last time i priced it was like $650 tho.. spike is what u dont want, but if u still running the lil t25g or a bbt28 it wont spike to hard.. still depends on the quality and the solenoid.. its not like u running a gt30r on 25psi...

diff.. 28spline r31 diff.. great range of ratio's and lsd's are cheap as they are from vl commodores ( turbo and v8) and sum falcons... cheap as chips $600 for a lsd centre new was the rumour i heard last...

TRD 2way lsd will set ya back $1250 for the lsd alone....